Home General Discussion

Which Would You Prefer?

I am guessing I already know the most common answer but I am looking for the surprise answer. Which would you prefer to have, a box of Opus X or a box of Ashton ESG, if you chose the ESG I am very interested in why...

Comments

• docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    I have never tried either one. Please send me a box of each and I'll let you know.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    100% Opus for me. The ESG is a good smoke, but not anywhere near the Opus, and definitely not worth the price.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If I had to choose one or the other, then I'd go with the Opus. Honestly though, I wouldn't really want a box of either one as I'm not a big fan. For my money, a box of La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet are a much better buy and a better, imo, cigar all around.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Surprisingly enough, I haven't had either one. I would probably say that you can't go wrong with Opus X though.
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    wwhwang:
    Surprisingly enough, I haven't had either one.
    me neither
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    ESG as i did never like opus at all
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    opusx... but only because they age way better than the esg.
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    Opus all the way. Nothing against the ESG but it just never did it for me.
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Honestly I haven't had either yet, but at this time i'd have to go with the opus.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I'd have to go with ESG. I actually like Opus X better, but if I had a whole box, I'd be tempted to smoke them way too often and lose my appreciation for them. ESGs are almost always available wherever I go. But Opus are usually less available. Therefore, I appreciate them more when I have one.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    ESG, i've had the opus x about 5-8 times and the ESG 3 times, and i personally thought the flavor in the ESG was better....soooo thats why i picked the ESG. Or possibly i prefer the esg over the opus x is probably because i have had it so many times...But everytime i have had the opus x and the ESG cigars they were just bought from a store and gifted to me....i can't stick them in my humidor or else i'll never smoke them until i get another one, which will never happen
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I have only had the OpusX once and it was tasty, but have yet to try ESG, I am hoping to pick some up soon.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    the Opus ages well so that would make me lean toward a box of Opus X since there are plenty to age while you smoke a couple here or there.
  • like Kuzi said if you are gonna age them for a couple of years min. it would be the opus. but if you are looking at smoking them sooner i would go with the Ashton.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    If I had to choose one or the other, then I'd go with the Opus. Honestly though, I wouldn't really want a box of either one as I'm not a big fan. For my money, a box of La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet are a much better buy and a better, imo, cigar all around.
    Yeah, I agree Joe. Though I don't have a ton of experience with either blend. The Opus just wasn't the mind blowingly powerful smoke I expected. It was flavorful and complex, but I can think of about 5 other sticks I'd rather have for that kind of money. If I had to choose either the esg or the opus I guess I'd go with the Opus.
  • i have only had the ESG i do have two Opus sitting in my humi though.
  • martymcg43martymcg43 Posts: 396
    i'd just get 2 boxes of Diamond Crown Maximus robustos... but then again i have never had an opus x nor an esg...
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    The real benefit to getting a box of Opus is that they come in boxes of 30+ cigars. Oh, and that box will be good for a looonnnng time.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    OpusX...but if you got VSG then that would be a hard one for me :)
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    It takes me forever to get through a box of anything so I would go with the Opus X because of the aging that has been mentioned. If it was the only thing that I had to smoke I would go with ESG because I wouldn't have to wait for them to age. I also like the Opus X better then the ESG. So many options so little time. I guess that's what makes this hobby so great. How about half and half?
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    For pure Taste, I would have to go with the ESG. Now, I am not a huge fan of the ESG but I find that I can smoke them without any significant age and semi enjoy them whereas I have a hard time with the OpusX. Now, I definately do NOT think that the ESG is worth the money! Now, I don't know if they age well. I only have a few and I'm pretty sure that most of not all of mine have less than a year on them. I'll try and hold out to see how they age but this thread will be long over by then!
  • I would get a box of opus so when my daughter is born in Febuary I can have one on her birthday for the next 30 years and know they would still be good.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I've only had one Opus and I thought it was pretty awful! It was fairly fresh though so I am sure that played in to it a bit. I have yet to try the ESG although the B&M has them regularly. I just can't seem to pay that kinda money for a cigar anymore. Not when I know I can get a deal on a box of MoW Ruinations for what it would cost me for a 5 pack of the ESG. Maybe some day though, when I hit that powerball...
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    ejenne87:
    I've only had one Opus and I thought it was pretty awful! It was fairly fresh though so I am sure that played in to it a bit. I have yet to try the ESG although the B&M has them regularly. I just can't seem to pay that kinda money for a cigar anymore. Not when I know I can get a deal on a box of MoW Ruinations for what it would cost me for a 5 pack of the ESG. Maybe some day though, when I hit that powerball...
    I've smoked one ESG and cannot for the life of me see how they're worth even half what they sell for. Not a bad cigar, but certainly not a great cigar imo, which it would have to be to justify the price. My feelings about the Opus are pretty much the same. Neither cigar particularly appeals to me, my tastes run in a different direction entirely.