Home Cigar 101

A few storage questions

Alright, so I've got my humidor now, it's been seasoned and everything, and I've started storing cigars in it. So here's some more questions: Cellophane on vs off. I've done a bit of research and have heard everything from leave the cello on at all times to always leave it off and several things in the middle. My humidor is a 100 count, and has 4 different sections at the moment. In each of the bottom sections I have two different boxes of cigars (taken out of the boxes, but each box is of course all the same kind of cigar). In one of the top sections I have another box, and in the 4th I have several singles of various brands (and I'm about to get 12 more singles this week). The former 3 sections are all out of the cellophane, and with the singles I've left it on. Now I've heard that if you leave the wrappers on the cigars won't be able to properly breathe and won't taste as good over time, but if you take them off the flavors of different tobaccos will mingle and the taste could be unfavorably altered. So which do you guys think is better? Should I leave them on or take them off? And about humidifiers, right now I'm using the green foam puck that came with the humidor filled with distilled water, as well as a drymistat tube (speaking of which, is it normal to have bubbles at the bottom of the tube after you've filled it? I tried and tried but couldn't get all of those bubbles out) and one of those humicare pillows thrown in for good measure. Right now my humidity is hovering at around 68%, which is plenty fine for me, I was just wondering ya'lls opinions on using different kinds of humidifiers together, or any suggestions for what I could/should use as a single humidifying device, also considering that space in my humidor is limited at the moment. I was going to get some humicare beads but I don't think I'd really have room for whole jar like that.

Comments

• Ok that's really weird, it's not counting paragraphs as seperate paragraphs. Lemme try posting each individually: Alright, so I've got my humidor now, it's been seasoned and everything, and I've started storing cigars in it. So here's some more questions:
  • Cellophane on vs off. I've done a bit of research and have heard everything from leave the cello on at all times to always leave it off and several things in the middle. My humidor is a 100 count, and has 4 different sections at the moment. In each of the bottom sections I have two different boxes of cigars (taken out of the boxes, but each box is of course all the same kind of cigar). In one of the top sections I have another box, and in the 4th I have several singles of various brands (and is about to get 12 more singles this week). The former 3 sections are all out of the cellophane, and with the singles I've left it on. Now I've heard that if you leave the wrappers on the cigars won't be able to properly breathe and won't taste as good over time, but if you take them off the flavors of different tobaccos will mingle and the taste could be unfavorably altered. So which do you guys think is better? Should I leave them on or take them off?
  • And about humidifiers, right now I'm using the green foam puck that came with the humidor filled with distilled water, as well as a drymistat tube (speaking of which, is it normal to have bubbles at the bottom of the tube after you've filled it? I tried and tried but couldn't get all of those bubbles out) and one of those humicare pillows thrown in for good measure. Right now my humidity is hovering at around 68%, which is plenty fine for me, I was just wondering ya'lls opinions on using different kinds of humidifiers together, or any suggestions for what I could/should use as a single humidifying device, also considering that space in my humidor is limited at the moment. I was going to get some humicare beads but I don't think I'd really have room for whole jar like that.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If you have the cigar out of the box, then you should probably leave the cellophane on, it will help protect loose sticks from being damaged. Cellophane still allows the cigars to breathe, so there is nothing to worry about there.

As for your humidification device, you may want to look into Hearfelt beads as a longer lasting and more reliable alternative to the puck.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I'd go with the heartfelt beads too, I have 2 65% pucks. As far as the cigars with no cello, I've heard that they can pick up other flavors, "merry" but am not 100 percent on that. I have several that are naked and worry about them, perhaps someone who knows for certain can clarify..
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Not directly on point, but related: I just had to refill my Cigar Oasis for the first time since I bought it in early July.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Dave first things last.. Welcome to the Smokers Health Club..I always keep the cello on my cigars to keep them from getting banged around. I hate cracks and chips in the wrappers.. In fact if I get a cigar that comes without a cello wrapper, I put one on it.. Example ( I hate to bring up this name because they are hard enough to find right now ) L.F.D.C.C.#1.. or street rolled that I got in Florida earlier this year.. Heartfelt has a great product line with their tubes and beads..Get rid of the puck, Mine got moldy and stunk up a bunch of cigars.( gave them to my brother in law, I don't like him very much) I never used the drymistat tube but if it does the job, keep it.

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kas, where do you find just the cello? or do you re-use them?
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    kas, where do you find just the cello? or do you re-use them?
    I recycle so to speak..Any cigar smoker will find a stray cello in their car or garage. I keep an empty cigar box that I place these in. Works for me.