Home Cigar 101

Cigar veins?

Ok. I am still very new to cigars and one thing I keep hearing about is the amount of veins in a cigar. But it seems that everyone has a different opinion about them. So I guess my question is what is the real story behind the veins, do they even mean anything at all? I would really appreciate some clarity on this subject.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the veins are where the nutrients get distributed to the leaf. so.... in theory, the more veins you have the more flavor.
    ....? ill have to look into that.
  • I have heard that before. I have also heard that the more veins the worse the flavor, the more veins the lower quality of cigar, veins have nothing to do with the flavor, and so on and so on. So I guess what I am looking for is a general consensus. Which I doubt will happen, but it will be cool to see what other theories are out. I appreciate anyone that adds in on this subject. Thanks for being the first Kuzi.
  • Big DeanBig Dean Posts: 120
    I always thought that veins are no problem, unless they are really big and bulging out. I also thought you want a lot of small veins for flavor. But I'm not really sure.
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    A lot of people seem to think that fewer veins means the tobacco is higher quality, probably because it means the roller is more selective with what leaves they use. Big veins can cause some burning issues, but I wouldn't worry about it.

By the way, this thread is ripe for someone to come along and take in a whole other direction.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Scrambler:
    A lot of people seem to think that fewer veins means the tobacco is higher quality, probably because it means the roller is more selective with what leaves they use. Big veins can cause some burning issues, but I wouldn't worry about it.

By the way, this thread is ripe for someone to come along and take in a whole other direction.
    As in, I only worry about my "Main Vein" and all others pale in comparison???

But who would stoop to that level?
    Lol, I knew I could count on you Las, but I was expecting something more along the lines of seriously mis-interpreting Big Dean's comments.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I often thought about this as well, though I would say a better cigar or better constructed would have less, as larger more frequent veins seem to cause burn issues/construction problems. At least I've had that experience.
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    Big Dean:
    I always thought that veins are no problem, unless they are really big and bulging out. I also thought you want a lot of small veins for flavor. But I'm not really sure.
    My wife says when I eat lots of pinapple it improves the flavor... I don't think the size/number of veins plays any part... She really doesn't have any issues with veins, rather big and bulging out or small and well distributed...

That more what you were looking for Scram??? ;)
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    rusirius:
    Big Dean:
    My wife says when I eat lots of pinapple it improves the flavor... I don't think the size/number of veins plays any part... She really doesn't have any issues with veins, rather big and bulging out or small and well distributed...

That more what you were looking for Scram??? ;)

And we have a winner...LMAO
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    "Check out the batwing ***" "It's sooooooo veiny"
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    "Check out the batwing ***" "It's sooooooo veiny"
    wow, that's just wrong.. oh my I didn't need that visual...
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Scrambler:
    To put this thread back on the tracks. Veiny cigars are called 'toothy'. Cameroons are famously toothy but generally have a bunch of small veins. The reason higher quality cigars typically don't have larger veins is they do affect the burn. The Nording by Rocky Patel is a good example of this, the cigar commonly has large veins and nerves burns evenly but IMHO thats ok. The flavor of the cigar makes up for the burn issues. However the rating establishments tend to disagree with that.
    madurofan:
    Veiny cigars are called 'toothy'. Cameroons are famously toothy
    I thought "toothy" meant something more along the lines of bumpy?
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Scrambler:
    To put this thread back on the tracks. Veiny cigars are called 'toothy'. Cameroons are famously toothy but generally have a bunch of small veins. The reason higher quality cigars typically don't have larger veins is they do affect the burn. The Nording by Rocky Patel is a good example of this, the cigar commonly has large veins and nerves burns evenly but IMHO thats ok. The flavor of the cigar makes up for the burn issues. However the rating establishments tend to disagree with that.
    I always used the term "toothy" to describe a rough or bumpy wrapper without regard to the veins in it. But maybe that's just me.. Any other opinions ?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've known toothy to describe a bumpy wrapper as well.
    kaspera79:
    madurofan:
    Scrambler:
    I always used the term "toothy" to describe a rough or bumpy wrapper without regard to the veins in it. But maybe that's just me.. Any other opinions ?
    Not meaning this as smart assed as it sounds but what else would cause a bumpy wrapper?
    Just the texture of the leaf, small round(ish) bumps distributed all over the wrapper. Sandpaper would be an extreme example of this "toothiness".
    When I say bumpy I mean like sand paper or like " goose-bumps" on the wrapper. I just know one when I pick it up. And it's not the veins, it's the space between the veins that is rougher.
    Scrambler:
    Just the texture of the leaf, small round(ish) bumps distributed all over the wrapper. Sandpaper would be an extreme example of this "toothiness".
    You type to f***** fast with the same exact ideas as me.
    Hmmm ... hadn't thought about that. Research may be necessary. I've always thought of toothy as veiny but I'm familiar with the bumpy texture you're referring to. Never thought about it, it seems I may have been wrong all this time.
  • Im pretty cherry when it comes to cigars myself so i went a self educated by buying some books.  The "Cigar Companion" by Marvin Shanken (who happens to be a big wig with cigaraficianado.com) says that prominent veins can be a defect in the wrapper.  The book was a big help and has a pretty extensive cigar directory.  Got it a Barnes and Noble.  Just a suggestion but its kept me from looking like a dumbass so far (i think).

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i should get that book. Ill have to page through it at the store. I wonder what percentage it is that i alreday know.

....i wonder what percentage i will have to not know to make me want it.
  • The majority of the book is the cigar directory fully equiped with pictures of the cigar and all their information and a brief history of the company that produced them.  The connoissuer's directory is pretty extensive also, most of which are cigars that are rated in the 95 to 100 range.  It was Cigar Companion or The Complete Idiot's Guide to Cigars and Cigar Companion was a book that I could leave on the coffee table.

• FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I beleive shanken is the creator/owner of Wine spectator and CA.
  • Thats what the books says also.  Id get a subscription to CA but they sure are proud of the damn thing. Its like 9 bucks an issue.

• FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    There isnt much you can get from the subscription to the mag that you cannot get online. Ive picked up a couple issues and really there isnt much substance too it other than a few reviews of cigars thats available on the CA website.
  • SharkeySharkey Posts: 2

@Blatalian said:
    Ok. I am still very new to cigars and one thing I keep hearing about is the amount of veins in a cigar. But it seems that everyone has a different opinion about them. So I guess my question is what is the real story behind the veins, do they even mean anything at all? I would really appreciate some clarity on this subject.

I always thought veins tend to create harshness but what brought me to this thread d was googling whether veins are good or bad. That aside, I also know toothy to mean bumpy. As another aside...I have all issues of the first few years of Cigar Aficionado (I think I'm missing the very first issue but not sure); my wife would love it if someone would claim these however I would like a reasonable offer for them because as someone on this thread stated they weren't cheap (I would have figured The Shankster had made enough off the Wine Spectator but...guess not). Any offers?

• SharkeySharkey Posts: 2

I neglected to say in my last post that what piqued my curiosity about veins was when I saw a review comment about Oliva Series O Maduros having "heavily veined wrapper" in what seemed like positive review although I only saw a small clip of it.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Sharkey, welcome to the forum.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sharkey said:

@Blatalian said:

I always thought veins tend to create harshness but what brought me to this thread d was googling whether veins are good or bad. That aside, I also know toothy to mean bumpy. As another aside...I have all issues of the first few years of Cigar Aficionado (I think I'm missing the very first issue but not sure); my wife would love it if someone would claim these however I would like a reasonable offer for them because as someone on this thread stated they weren't cheap (I would have figured The Shankster had made enough off the Wine Spectator but...guess not). Any offers?

There’s a joke or two in there somewhere.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.