Home General Discussion

Gurkha HMR

I've heard about this on the site but not seen it discussed much in the forums and I'm wondering what's up with this cigar. Has anyone here had one? Is it anywhere near worth what it costs? And if it is worth anything near that, what makes it so damn good compared to, say, a $30 cigar?

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Google around - the reason it's so expensive is because a $5,000 bottle of Louis XIII cognac is infused into each box of cigars.

Although it costs $700 or so MSRP, I've heard you can get them on cigar auction sites for around $200 or so; from reviews I've read, they're ok, but it's mostly all hype

EDIT: Found a review: http://thesmokingstogie.squarespace.com/home/tag/gurkha-his-majestys-reserve-hmr

EDIT 2: The Ccom page for the HMR is a bit wrong too - the most expensive cigar ever made was the original Gurkha Black Dragon ($1,500 per stick) - only 4 boxes were ever made, all sold out almost immediately from what I've heard
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    xmacro:
    Google around - the reason it's so expensive is because a $5,000 bottle of Louis XIII cognac is infused into each box of cigars.

Although it costs $700 or so MSRP, I've heard you can get them on cigar auction sites for around $200 or so; from reviews I've read, they're ok, but it's mostly all hype

EDIT: Found a review: http://thesmokingstogie.squarespace.com/home/tag/gurkha-his-majestys-reserve-hmr

EDIT 2: The Ccom page for the HMR is a bit wrong too - the most expensive cigar ever made was the original Gurkha Black Dragon ($1,500 per stick) - only 4 boxes were ever made, all sold out almost immediately from what I've heard
    The math doesn't add up. My local B&M had a bottle for $1699. Their new bottle is now $1949. So, take 2k out of the equation. There is 13k worth of tobacco in there? I think not!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    xmacro:

The math doesn't add up. My local B&M had a bottle for $1699. Their new bottle is now $1949. So, take 2k out of the equation. There is 13k worth of tobacco in there? I think not!
    Is that the black pearl? I know that sounds about right from what I've heard on that bottle. I have a store that sells the regular XIII for like 6500. I'd love to try it one of these days. I saw a bottle while in disneyland but the resturant would let me get a sample.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:
    xmacro:

Is that the black pearl? I know that sounds about right from what I've heard on that bottle. I have a store that sells the regular XIII for like 6500. I'd love to try it one of these days. I saw a bottle while in disneyland but the resturant would let me get a sample.
    There are different ones? I thought a bottle of XIII was the same. If I am wrong, I apologize.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    rwheelwright:
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:
    xmacro:

There are different ones? I thought a bottle of XIII was the same. If I am wrong, I apologize.
    I'm not sure if there are different bottles, but there's no apology needed - even if they infused the HMR's with gold dust, it still wouldn't be worth the price tag (sorry if I gave the impression that I thought the price was justified)
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I thought about it.. And the most I would ever pay for a cigar is probably 25 dollars. So, if I ever found a HMR at that price tag, I would try it to see how many ten dollar ( or less ) cigars are just as good, and there are many.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Not only the most overpriced cigar in the world, but it actually tastes terrible too. Gurkha have really overdone themselves on this one, and that's really saying something considering how many crappy blends in fancy kitschy boxes they already sell at high prices...
    rwheelwright:
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:
    xmacro:

This is it... image
    I've never had either but the black pearl is super good.. lol.

a little bit about it...
    "Limited edition cognacs are always expensive but a new level may have been reached with the Louis XIII Black Pearl cognac which sells for $8,000 (the original Louis XIII sells for around $1,500).
    The new release will be limited to 786 bottles, the number of decanters that can be taken from one tiercon, the type of oak barrel used by R
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Would never buy one, I'd rather a Cohiba Gran Reserva for $125 or a Cohiba Behike before I purchase a Gurkha. haha.

BTW, I think all those reviews are phenomenal.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Yeah the regular Louis XIII (if you can call anything on par with LXIII "regular") retails for 1,995.95 here at the Virginia state run liquor stores. My buddy who works at one says they sell maybe two or three bottle a year in the city, mostly to rich old bastardos.
    docbp87:
    Yeah the regular Louis XIII (if you can call anything on par with LXIII "regular") retails for 1,995.95 here at the Virginia state run liquor stores. My buddy who works at one says they sell maybe two or three bottle a year in the city, mostly to rich old bastardos.
    has he said if it's worth the price? I mean so many times I've had things that were never close to what the asking price was.