Home General Discussion

Broadleaf maduro recommendations?

I'm on a quest to discover my favorite types of sticks and after being blown away by Diesel, La Herencia Cubana Oscuro Fuerte and 5 Vegas AAA, I think I might be a maduro guy :D Those are some of the ones I've enjoyed most in my relatively nascent cigar smoking. Apparently these are all PA Broadleaf maduros. I'd add that last week I tried a CAO Brazilia at my local B&M and loved it, not Broadleaf (I think) but also a maduro, if that helps nail down my tastes. So now I throw this out to you, CCOM community - what are some cigars like these ones that I should really be trying next?

Comments

• rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Expensive but IMO so worth it. Fuente Anejo! Connie Broadleaf aged for approx 6 months in a cognac barrel. Regular Fuente maduros are good too. How about Partagas Black?
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you enjoy rich maduro cigars. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of PA Braodleaf wrapper brands out there. not for lack of interest, it is just a hard wrapper to work with to get wrapper grade yield from fermentation. That said, two missing from your list there are the Rocky Patel Patel Brothers and the San Lotano Maduro. You can find Patel Brothers online at Cigar.com but San Lotano is available by calling one of our reps only since it is considered a "non internet brand".

Here are some other recommendations you should consider. Not PA Broadleaf but I know the flavor profile you are after and any of these would be right in your wheel house.

Cigar.com Brazilian Label (if you want a good value stick at about $2 day in and day out)
    Punch Double Maduro (especially the rothschild size)
    Alec Bradley Tempus Maduro
    La Aroma de Cuba (not the line extension ones, just plain La Aroma de Cuba. uses CT Broadleaf but a lot of ligero in the filler
  • asolomonasolomon Posts: 128
    Thanks so much Alex and rwheelwright! I'll keep these in mind next time I order. I'm actually smoking a CCOM Brazilian Label right now (just started it after I wrote this post) and it's delicious! It's got a nice rich flavor along the lines of the other ones I mentioned.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Nevermind.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I've only had one of these, but wanted to see if anyone agrees/disagrees that it has a somewhat similar flavor profile: Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 Gold.

I know this is listed as a habano, but i swear it looks and tastes so much like a maduro to me. I definitely get that nice cocoa/coffee flavor that I associate with a good maduro. I had this a couple of weeks ago within a few days of having a LHCOF, and thought i picked up on some similarities, or maybe it's just me.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Alex, I can't believe I forgot about the Patel Brothers. I just had one last night and I really like that cigar. As for the Brazilian label, IMO best maduro for the price. I haven't had one in a while but I think I am going to change that really soon!
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Try out the Nica Libre, Oliva G Maduro, Gurkha Ninja, and Gurkha Assassin as well. These are often overlooked, but they're very tasty and affordable treats.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    not the PA broadleaf but still a fantastic maduro at a good price if the Oliva Serie O maduro. These, as well as the habano wrapper, are my go-to smokes when I just need something that isn't going to blow my mind but I want something that I know I am going to love.
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Excellent thread. I never thought to ask, but I'm pretty much the same as far as tastes. Making a list of sticks mentioned that I haven't tried.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    t_evan50:
    Excellent thread. I never thought to ask, but I'm pretty much the same as far as tastes. Making a list of sticks mentioned that I haven't tried.
    ha... ditto... doin the same thing... I've had most of them, but always looking for something new!!
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned Onyx Reserve. The Onyx Reserve is a fantastic PA Broadleaf maduro, and they're a pretty good value as well. One of the first maduros I ever smoked in fact.

Another great, rich maduro as well is the Oliveros XL Double Maduro. Although the outer wrapper is a brazilian maduro leaf, that particular cigar has a broadleaf maduro binder. I try to have some of these in my humi at all times.

• HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I've always loved the Onyx Reserve too - one of my early maduros as well. But I don't think it's a PA Broadleaf.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Tatuaje put out two CT. Broadleaf wrapper reserva sticks this year that are regular releases, and are good. The 7th Reserva and the Petite Cazadores Reserva... both are smoking awesome right now. Also from the My Father factory in Nica... Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial uses a CT. Broafleaf maduro wrapper. From Drew Estate, the Liga Privada no. 9 is one of the best Maduros on the market right now...
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Heavy:
    I've always loved the Onyx Reserve too - one of my early maduros as well. But I don't think it's a PA Broadleaf.
    You're right, it's a Connie Broadleaf maduro. My bad.

• firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    MMMMMMMMM Maduro's...... AF work of art maduro, 262, padron maduro, ashton aged maduro, 5 Vegas gold maduro, kristoff maduro, Utopia maduro. I love the dark side!
  • asolomonasolomon Posts: 128
    Hey guys thanks for all the recommendations! And despite the title of the thread I'm not *just* asking about broadleaf maduros :) It's just that most of the sticks in the flavor profile I'm looking at are broadleafs - the CAO Brazilia is another similar one that I also enjoyed, as I mentioned. And it seems like this is a flavor profile a lot of people dig so anything good in that range I'd like to hear recommendations for :) Are there any particular CCOM samplers (besides the PA broadleaf sampler of course, lol) which are a good idea to sample smokes like these?
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    I'm not the biggest maduro fan but when it comes to the PA Broadleaf, mmmmmmmmmmmm! Diesel and LHCOF are my favorites. I have some Diesel Unlimited, 5 Vegas AAA and a few others that I have yet to try aging. Being as cold as it is outside, I get more flavors out of a cigar when it's warmer out so I'm saving them for the spring. Looking forward to those.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Hey you may want to give a look to the Sancho Panza Double Maduros...just delicious if you like a good maduro. They are not as stout as the 5V AAA but are a MUST try.
  • ejenne87:
    not the PA broadleaf but still a fantastic maduro at a good price if the Oliva Serie O maduro. These, as well as the habano wrapper, are my go-to smokes when I just need something that isn't going to blow my mind but I want something that I know I am going to love.
    +1 o maduro one of my favorite smokes