Home General Discussion

MOW Ruination Problem!

Hello Gents!

I am very concerned about a cigar I think many of us Med-full and full smokers love. This cigar needs no introduction: The Man O'War Ruination. What I am concerned about is the blend. You see I finished off a box of the Rob.#1 of the Ruinations just not long ago.  This box I picked up back in probably late of '08 ( I will try to double check when). After I finished that box I ordered another box (same size) and a ten pack. I have smoked a couple already and they aren't the same cigar. The older cigar which you may remember had a band on the foot of the cigar. The older was much spicier and heavy on the pallet, particularly on the finish. The newer cigar has no band on the foot and I think the blend has been toned down. Yes it still is spicy but....just not the same. Has anyone else noticed a change? What do you think?

-Regards and Long Ashes!

Comments

• Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    RoyalCigars:
    Hello Gents!

I am very concerned about a cigar I think many of us Med-full and full smokers love. This cigar needs no introduction: The Man O'War Ruination. What I am concerned about is the blend. You see I finished off a box of the Rob.#1 of the Ruinations just not long ago.  This box I picked up back in probably late of '08 ( I will try to double check when). After I finished that box I ordered another box (same size) and a ten pack. I have smoked a couple already and they aren't the same cigar. The older cigar which you may remember had a band on the foot of the cigar. The older was much spicier and heavy on the pallet, particularly on the finish. The newer cigar has no band on the foot and I think the blend has been toned down. Yes it still is spicy but....just not the same. Has anyone else noticed a change? What do you think?

-Regards and Long Ashes!
    I might suggest the age as a contributing factor. 2+ years is a long time for a cigar to sit and in that time, the continued marrying and aging of the tobaccos have a profound effect on a cigar. That said, I will absolutely fire one up from our warehouse as this cigar is one of my favorites and I consider any complaint a legitimate concern. Additionally, aged or not, if you are not happy with them, let us know and we will gladly refund your money. Even if you want to let them sit for a year or two to replicate the flavor you liked, if you dont think they are up to snuff, we will refund your money. they are also a hand made product which means they are not always perfect so if you want to exchange your box for another, we will gladly accommodate you.

If anyone else has any concerns, please let us know. This is one blend I will never let fall apart.
  • RoyalCigarsRoyalCigars Posts: 106
    Here's the thing.. If anything, the longer a cigar sits and the longer it ages 9 times out of 10 the cigar will lose its edge and become a little more toned down in terms of strength. So If I smoke a Ruination with 2 years of age and its very full/heavy and a couple days later I light up the same cigar which was rolled last week, the cigar should be either just AS strong OR stronger. Yes Flavors due marry but usually spice and strength become softer or lighter as it is aged more and more. I love this cigar too Alex, in fact its in my Top 5 regular smokes. I am trying to get this addressed not because im unhappy with my purchase, but because I  just want the same blend back and insure other AJ fans can experience MOW Ruination in its fullest expression. If the blend has changed, we need to know. I was hoping that there was a way to .....well......ask. Could you see about maybe contacting AJ? What better way than to go to the source!?
    As I mentioned before, for an accurate comparison try to get a couple older MOW ruinations from your Legionnair sampler (if you still have any) and try one with the old bands and one with the new.

-Regards and Long Ashes!

PS. I have also made this point on Puff.com My name there is CigarBoss.
  • ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    Alex Svenson:
    RoyalCigars:
    Hello Gents!

-Regards and Long Ashes!
    I might suggest the age as a contributing factor. 2+ years is a long time for a cigar to sit and in that time, the continued marrying and aging of the tobaccos have a profound effect on a cigar. That said, I will absolutely fire one up from our warehouse as this cigar is one of my favorites and I consider any complaint a legitimate concern. Additionally, aged or not, if you are not happy with them, let us know and we will gladly refund your money. Even if you want to let them sit for a year or two to replicate the flavor you liked, if you dont think they are up to snuff, we will refund your money. they are also a hand made product which means they are not always perfect so if you want to exchange your box for another, we will gladly accommodate you.

If anyone else has any concerns, please let us know. This is one blend I will never let fall apart.
    now that's some service imo
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    RoyalCigars:
    Here's the thing.. If anything, the longer a cigar sits and the longer it ages 9 times out of 10 the cigar will lose its edge and become a little more toned down in terms of strength. So If I smoke a Ruination with 2 years of age and its very full/heavy and a couple days later I light up the same cigar which was rolled last week, the cigar should be either just AS strong OR stronger. Yes Flavors due marry but usually spice and strength become softer or lighter as it is aged more and more. I love this cigar too Alex, in fact its in my Top 5 regular smokes. I am trying to get this addressed not because im unhappy with my purchase, but because I  just want the same blend back and insure other AJ fans can experience MOW Ruination in its fullest expression. If the blend has changed, we need to know. I was hoping that there was a way to .....well......ask. Could you see about maybe contacting AJ? What better way than to go to the source!?
    As I mentioned before, for an accurate comparison try to get a couple older MOW ruinations from your Legionnair sampler (if you still have any) and try one with the old bands and one with the new.

-Regards and Long Ashes!

Royal, I realize you are north of the boarder. Shoot me a PM if you have a US addy where I can send you 20 replacements. They will go out Monday.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    It's not often you have a company go out of there way like this, very nice of you Alex and CCom...that's the customer service that will continue to bring customers back!
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Nick2021:
    It's not often you have a company go out of there way like this, very nice of you Alex and CCom...that's the customer service that will continue to bring customers back!
    +1
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Um...I don't even like Ruination particularly, but can I get 20 'replacements' too????
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the difference between ccom and their evil twin. The evil twin jerked me over 5 cigars that were unwrapping. I sent five of the order of ten back to them and they would only credit half which was a grand total of $16.

Prior to that, I had been splitting my orders between the two vendors. That $16 cost them a lot of money in sales. Besides, Kelley is much nicer to speak to.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    RoyalCigars:
    Here's the thing.. If anything, the longer a cigar sits and the longer it ages 9 times out of 10 the cigar will lose its edge and become a little more toned down in terms of strength. So If I smoke a Ruination with 2 years of age and its very full/heavy and a couple days later I light up the same cigar which was rolled last week, the cigar should be either just AS strong OR stronger.
    Same vitola?
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    Ok, so for any newbie out there, no really sure what 'quality service' is, then think about the folllowing: #1 Check the post date/time #2 What is significant aout that date/time? #3 A 'sorta' issue/question is reported, obviously taken seriously....almost immediately, an offer to resolve done almost immediately #4 How many companies 'big chief' ever even hear about these type of issues or even care about 1 customer, let alone sending out $100+ of product identifed in an online forum on New Years Eve! #5 Get why the followers here are loyal!
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    RoyalCigars:

-Regards and Long Ashes!

Royal, I realize you are north of the boarder. Shoot me a PM if you have a US addy where I can send you 20 replacements. They will go out Monday.
    Yet another example of why I keep coming back to Ccom.

"Long ashes my friends."

• RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Alex Svenson:
    RoyalCigars:

-Regards and Long Ashes!

Again CCOM Delivers.....I relize that there are over ten thousand members on this forum, but only about 100 participate it seems, i think if some of these guys that get on here with 2-20 posts would get with the program and talk over concerns before they Level there heavy hands down on CCOM in there 15th post or call there sales person personaly they could get there greivences aired out without a Public Show .. Personaly, any problem i have had which has only been a couple that went a real big deal , I called or emailed and the problem was solved no questions asked!
    Cigar .com is Unmatched in this industry with Customer service and great deals.
    a Favortie Quote of mine from my Tattoo artist applies to several things he says
    "CHEAP TATTOOS ARE NOT GOOD BUT GOOD TATTOOS ARE NOT CHEAP"
    same applies here
    " CHEAP CIGARS ARE NOT GOOD AND GOOD CIGARS ARE NOT CHEAP"
    That being said hand rolled,hand made inexpensive deals are what CCOM does better than anyone on the net, you may get some cheaper deals but you get just that a cheap deal! Ok ill jump off my defense of CCOM soap Box now..... Happy New Year!~
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    best service out there, again and again. I mean, let's think about this. a contributing forum member is the Chief Merchant and is ready at the drop of a hat to make it happen for a customer. nicely done.
    by the way, I didn't think Ruination came out until last year. was there Ruination in 2008?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Delete.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Delete.
    tease
    dennisking:
    j0z3r:
    Delete.
    tease
    Haha, I was replying to your post then realized I had my years wrong and there wasn't anything useful in the correct version. So...delete. Wink [;)]
  • RoyalCigarsRoyalCigars Posts: 106
    That is an interesting train of thought Redtailhawkoz and you raised some interesting points. I would like to answer them for you. First off, the main purpose of a forum is to exchange ideas, ask questions and to bring new information to the table for the benefit of others. I have a concern about one of my favorite blends, and I can't think of anything that would be more befitting of a forum subject. I prefer to create posts with more thought behind them rather than hundreds or thousands with little or no thought behind them. I have been a ccom customer for over 3 years now and being a Canadian customer, ccom no longer ships here. That being said my usual rep Jeff no longer works for ccom. Hence my posting on this public forum is NOT to make a "Public Show" but rather to get feedback from fellow MOW ruination lovers and to get their perspective on the issue at hand. Yet it seems the only thing people want to make note of is the level of service. I have made note of the terrific service and that is why I have done business with this fine company and hopefully will continue to do business with in the future. Further, if I have a concern and I only brought it to the attention of a ccom sales person and they addressed it for me, who does that benefit? Only me. However if I bring a concern to light on a ccom forum for all to see and to provide feedback on....and the concern is addressed, who benefits? Anyone who reads it!
    Also, DiamondDog, you asked "same vitola"? Yes the blend change in question is upon my comparing the same vitola from the same line.

I hope that someone else has noticed the change in the cigar blend. Perhaps it is only temporary.

Regards and Long Ashes!
    To answer your concern about a blend change, I can only say I haven't noticed anything that couldn't be explained with age...that said, I don't smoke a ton of them so I wouldn't be the best judge. Here's a thought though, consider that there are certain variables to cigar production that cannot be controlled, for example the quality or characteristics of a crop from year to year. Regardless of what the grower does, no two crops will be the same due to all kinds of various weather conditions. What I'm getting at here is that perhaps it was not as much a change in the blend as it is a difference in the crop years and they were only able to get the blend so close. All conjecture on my part, understand that, but any handmade, 100% natural item is going to undergo some level of variation as time goes on.
    RoyalCigars:
    That is an interesting train of thought Redtailhawkoz and you raised some interesting points. I would like to answer them for you. First off, the main purpose of a forum is to exchange ideas, ask questions and to bring new information to the table for the benefit of others. I have a concern about one of my favorite blends, and I can't think of anything that would be more befitting of a forum subject. I prefer to create posts with more thought behind them rather than hundreds or thousands with little or no thought behind them. I have been a ccom customer for over 3 years now and being a Canadian customer, ccom no longer ships here. That being said my usual rep Jeff no longer works for ccom. Hence my posting on this public forum is NOT to make a "Public Show" but rather to get feedback from fellow MOW ruination lovers and to get their perspective on the issue at hand. Yet it seems the only thing people want to make note of is the level of service. I have made note of the terrific service and that is why I have done business with this fine company and hopefully will continue to do business with in the future. Further, if I have a concern and I only brought it to the attention of a ccom sales person and they addressed it for me, who does that benefit? Only me. However if I bring a concern to light on a ccom forum for all to see and to provide feedback on....and the concern is addressed, who benefits? Anyone who reads it!
    Also, DiamondDog, you asked "same vitola"? Yes the blend change in question is upon my comparing the same vitola from the same line.

I hope that someone else has noticed the change in the cigar blend. Perhaps it is only temporary.

Regards and Long Ashes!

Interesting no matter how you look at it., Ill pad my posts that have no thought a bit more ....... I am sorry Jeff left. I have smoked a few Ruinations in my time, I have some of each your talking about in my Humidor, I plan on visiting one of each this weekend... I personally have yet to see much of a change if any with or without age.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    "CHEAP TATTOOS ARE NOT GOOD BUT GOOD TATTOOS ARE NOT CHEAP" same applies here " CHEAP CIGARS ARE NOT GOOD AND GOOD CIGARS ARE NOT CHEAP"
    ...but you can't send back a bad tattoo!
    Moral.of this story is don't go to a cheap bad tattoo artist.lol Doesn't hurt that mine has been.considered the one of the best tattoo artists in the world for over 30 years.lol Marty Holcomb.....
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    I'm not only impressed by the service here but by the straight-forwardness of the staff. This is the first and only cigar website I have used and will ever use.
    Light 'em up.