Home General Discussion

Does size matter?

LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
So my wife told me it didn't, but I can't help but wonder...oh wait. Wrong forum.

I haven't experienced enough different cigars in enough different sizes to be able to say I like such-and-such in a churchill and such-and-such in a perfecto and so on. But I get the impression most of you feel like some/most cigars taste better in a particular vitola? Or are there some of you that like the same vitola. I know this is blasphemy, but a hour+ for a cigar for me is good. I just don't have two hours to spend - I'm too important of a guy. So I find myself smoking lots of robustos and I really like that size. I've had churchills, torpedoes, etc. and they're good, but I always end up buying/ordering robustos.

Am I inadequate?

Comments

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Yes.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I'm thinking of a word that rhymes with smastard.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Certainly does sound like it doesn't it?
    what should I expect coming from a lover of kitty cats!
    Luko:
    what should I expect coming from a lover of kitty cats!

Hey don't ask the question if you don't REALLY want to get the answer.

So I LOVE ****... what's wrong with that?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    there are cigar that i like in one vitola better than others. I like the 5 vegas in either a toro or the "fat toro" ( 6x 60 ) ive had each size and for some reason thats the best.

I like the Grukha regent in the toro as well.

i like the gurkha legend in the perfecto
    the cusano p1 in the topedo
    the cusano corojo 97 in the toro.
    the partagas black in the "clasico size (5.2x54)
    the sancho panza double maduro in the La Mancha (5.5" x 44) size but the extra fuerte in the Madrid (6.1" x 54)
    and
    the punch gran puro in the Rancho (5.5" x 54)

im not sure why on all of these.

i almost never like a Churchill. too much time.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    lol... I always say go with what you like. Personally, I'm a fan of skinnier cigars in general, coronas and lonsdales particularly, but you'll find me with robustos and toros just as often.

As far as how size matters, I suppose it all depends on the cigar. Some blenders will change the blend to fit the size so that there is consistency across the sizes, others will stick with the same blend over all the sizes. In the latter case, you will notice a difference across the sizes...and sometimes bigger is better, sometimes smaller is better. If the primary taste you pick up and like is from the filler, then you'd be better off with a larger ring, and vice-versa, if the flavor you like it primarily from the wrapper then a smaller ring would work better for you.
    Luko:
    I'm thinking of a word that rhymes with smastard.
    lol

There are some cigars that I seem to like regardless of vitola, and others I don't. The 5 Vegas Classic, fer instance, I seem to like regardless of size and shape; likewise the Hemingway. In the Camacho 1962 and Oliva Serie O, OTOH, I have a definite preference for the perfecto. And I like the lancero best in the RP Fusion dbl. maduro and Oliva Serie V.

Most cigars, though, I still haven't had in more than one or two sizes, so I can't really say.
    Urbi, for the AF, you ever get the short story? Any good, if so?
    I think I've had that one, but it's been too long ago for me to announce a judgment. The ones I know well are the Sig, Classic, and Masterpiece. Lotsa people love the Shorty, though, so I think you'd be safe.
    I have been wrestling with this same situation.

I have found several cigars which I like in one size and just don't like at all in other sizes.

The Perdomo Lot 23 is a prime example of this. I had and loved the lot 23 in the robusto size, but did not like the Churchill size very much.

There are so many variables involved here. Everything from size, shape, ageing, RH / Temp. the sticks have been kept at.

I have also found that I prefer my Hemmingway Signatures a little on the moist side. I let a couple get down to 65% RH before smoking them and found that I preferred the flavours when it was smoked at between 67 - 69 %. I have a box of these coming in the Classic size so I will have another variation for taste testing. I'll post as I discover...
  • ShikaShika Posts: 13
    I've definitely noticed that size matters. It affects the flavor as well as the burn easiness, and therefore my enjoyment.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    no, just how you use it! hehe

I've never really had any cigars under 46 ring gauge.. and I usually stay in the robusto/toro/churchill area. I like my cigars big and fat... lol. I can say I've had more taste in some robustos over their churchill counterparts (can't remember which brand though..).
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    there are cigar that i like in one vitola better than others. I like the 5 vegas in either a toro or the "fat toro" ( 6x 60 ) ive had each size and for some reason thats the best.

the sancho panza double maduro in the La Mancha (5.5" x 44) size but the extra fuerte in the Madrid (6.1" x 54)
    and

This from a guy who can get two hours out of a Robusto.. A churchill should take about four hours. I can see why you avoid the larger profiles
    kaspera79:
    kuzi16:

and

This from a guy who can get two hours out of a Robusto.. A churchill should take about four hours. I can see why you avoid the larger profiles
    im not quite that bad. I get about 1:15 - 1:30 on a robusto and 1:20 - 1:40 on a toro. A churchill takes about 2 hours.

longest yet: Gurkha Master Select Dos Capos (8.5x52) at an amazing 2:40.

ill admit, i do smoke slow. I look at it as more time to enjoy it. I NEVER rush a cigar. they arent the same if you have places to go things to do and worries to worry about.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Your time frames are pretty close to where mine fall on the sizes you mentioned kuzi. I don't know if it should be considered "smoking slow" or rather savoring and enjoying the experience...which is done best if one takes their time I think.
    if TheseFilthyHands is around he can testify that i also like to talk alot while smoking with someone. last nub i smoked with him was about 1:45.

I don't get to smoke with anybody much anymore, but I'm the same way. I think good cigars are like good liquor: they're social lubrication (easy, fellas).
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I really don't know why one would want to smoke a cigar quickly, they have cigs for that.
  • btmislesbtmisles Posts: 125
    phobicsquirrel:
    I really don't know why one would want to smoke a cigar quickly, they have cigs for that.

Sometimes you just can't avoid the fact that the time to enjoy a full stick is not there, but you still want that relaxing environment of smoking a good cigar.

You definately cannot compare smoking a cigarette to smoking a cigar (even a quick smoke). Two totally different things.

with everything going on, I do enjoy a shorty when I just cant find the time.
    btmisles:
    I do enjoy a shorty when I just cant find the time.
    Spend a lot of time in Holland, do you?
  • I like to take about an 1-1 1/2 to smoke a cigar. I find that the robustos and that torpedos are the best for me,. Although I would love to try those nubs. there's supposed to be a compact smoke, full of flavor. they must have a tight draw...
    ftnator:
    they must have a tight draw...
    nope you would be amazed
  • Well then, hell I 'll have to try one! LOL!!!! any one you reccomend?
    ive never been a big fan of a Connecticut wrapper, but for some reason the nub does VERY well with this wrapper. the habano is almost as good.

i havent had the cameroon but there are very few cameroon wrappers that i am in love with.
  • I'm a big fan of Robusto and Double Robusto. That's pretty much all I buy and order. I do have some cigars that I like in different sizes though.

Comacho 1962 Torpedo
    RP Edge Maduro Torpedo
    Fuente 8-5-8 Maduro Toro
    Legend Ario Maduro Torpedo
    Punch Gran Puro Toro

Something about not breaking my jaw to hold onto a cigar attracts me to Torpedos.
  • ftnator:
    I like to take about an 1-1 1/2 to smoke a cigar. I find that the robustos and that torpedos are the best for me,. Although I would love to try those nubs. there's supposed to be a compact smoke, full of flavor. they must have a tight draw...
    They draw smooth like butter. Not qute Comacho smooth draw though. I would definitly try them.

I'm yet to smoke a Nub that I don't like. I do like the Habano and Cameroon more than the Connecticut.
  • I like the Habano and Cameroon varieties. I'll give them a try.
  • I think that size and guage make a difference. When I find a blend I like I try different sizes until I find the combination that really dials it in. Now, that doesn't mean I won't occasionally smoke the other sizes of that blend of course. :-)
    SmokeRing:
    I think that size and guage make a difference.
    it really really does on more than one level.