Home Ratings & Reviews

Cu-Avana Intenso Punisher

ROTT

As soon as this thing hits your lips you feel the heat of the wrapper, my first thought was to look for something to drink. So, I grabbed a Sierra Nevada Porter & a glass of water. The pre-light aroma was very earthy and zesty. Wrapper was dark brown and construction was very nice.

First Inch or so was full of spice (black pepper, cinnamon), but not overwhelmingly so. It seemed to blend perfectly with the earthy type flavors I was picking up. For the first third it seemed to mellow down quite a bit but was definitely full bodied and flavored. The burn was impeccable and didn't need any corrections. Tons of thick white smoke.

The Second third was still very consistent, Spice with flavors of raisins and earth picked up, nice complexity. The ash was light grey and held together beautifully.

The last third of the cigar started to pick up the pepper and cinnamon again with a little intensity but again not overwhelmingly so. Still flavors of earth and rasins and plenty of smoke. I smoked it all the way to the nub and was very happy with the performance of this full bodied cigar ROTT.

Make sure you have a full stomach for this one. All and all I enjoyed this cigar in its entirety and the Porter paired perfectly with the full flavors of the Punisher. Can't wait to try one with some age on it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

"Got to get me some lip burn!" - Tim

Comments

• Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Nice review. Looking forward to trying this one. Sounds awesome. Any info on when they'll be released? I know they're only available in the tapout sampler right now.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    The Punisher ROTT, freakin' awesome! Sierra Nevada to boot, ummmmm...
  • awesome..good to finally hear some info about this one. I thought I remember hearing spring release on these but yet it is available in the Tap-out. Perhaps we will be able to buy singles and boxes at that time.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I got mine 2 days ago and am going to wait about a month before I try it.
    It looks like a great stick.
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    I found it to be way too spicy!!! My lips were burning for quite some time after. I won't buy this one again.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    christian1971:
    I found it to be way too spicy!!! My lips were burning for quite some time after. I won't buy this one again.
    That was part of the fun, I didn't like the lip burn at first, but by the half way point I was already looking forward to my next Punisher.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Nice review. I am looking forward to trying this one out soon.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    christian1971:
    That was part of the fun, I didn't like the lip burn at first, but by the half way point I was already looking forward to my next Punisher.
    This is usually the first aspect of a cigar to mellow with age.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Dang it I want one
  • timbtimb Posts: 353 ✭✭✭

J0z3r - hey man can you email me?  tblythe@cigar.com

Got a question for ya!

timb:

Got a question for ya!

email sent Tim.
    timb:

Got a question for ya!

You know you are special when you are summoned by "The Beard" :)

This must have been in reference to your quote in his latest email deal.

I just tried The Punisher a couple days ago and wow, what a different stick.
    The peppery bite on the lips and the flavors of the cigar. I am going to age the rest.
    Thanks to a trade with ShotgunJohn i will get to add this CA Intenso Punisher to my line up. I think I will create a new challenge. Both blends in one afternoon, Intenso "in extremis"
    ShotgunJohn:
    timb:

Got a question for ya!

The peppery bite on the lips and the flavors of the cigar. I am going to age the rest.
    And can you believe I didn't even get a free five pack? Stick out tongue [:P]
    j0z3r:
    ShotgunJohn:
    timb:

Got a question for ya!

And can you believe I didn't even get a free five pack? Stick out tongue [:P]
    Damn "The Beard" is slipping
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    tried my first one of these last night. You know that feeling you get right before you try that new hot sauce that says, on the bottle "don't try this, you will die!"?? Well that was the feeling I was having last night when I picked this stick up. As soon as I licked the cap I knew I was in for an ass whooping, but I thought I was up to it. I lit the cigar, and as soon as it was removed from my lips the INTENSE burning started. Not a big deal I thought, this has happened before (although not this intense...) and it will go away shortly. Well about 30 minutes later it was still getting worse, I was in pain. Not too much though, I could have pushed through it, but the flavors I was getting were not even close to worth the struggle. The burning in and around my mouth was so ridiculous I could barely taste anything the cigar had to offer. At that point I just tossed it. It's a good thing this cigar was cheap (read - free). I will not be buying any of these, and I doubt that I will even try to smoke another one if it was free. The pain was not even close to worth the tiny amount of pleasure I could find. I was pretty skeptical of this smoke when I was reading about it. The whole "power for power's sake" concept of this cigar is just ridiculous.
  • nikostewartnikostewart Posts: 451
    Thats too bad that you didn't enjoy the Punisher! Maybe a bad stick? I thought it was an excellent stick and didn't find the spice/pepper too overwhelming and enjoyed it all the way through, I was just thinking of ordering some more actually.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    nikostewart:
    Thats too bad that you didn't enjoy the Punisher! Maybe a bad stick? I thought it was an excellent stick and didn't find the spice/pepper too overwhelming and enjoyed it all the way through, I was just thinking of ordering some more actually.
    I still need to try the one you gave me. I just haven't found a good time yet. It keeps calling me though...
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ55:
    nikostewart:
    I still need to try the one you gave me. I just haven't found a good time yet. It keeps calling me though...
    I just ran across the one I got from Niko and had to move it towards the front of the humi so I can get to it as soon as the wife and kids are gone for a couple of hours. I want to be able to sit back with it and enjoy the burn.
    bandyt09:
    Russ55:
    nikostewart:
    I just ran across the one I got from Niko and had to move it towards the front of the humi so I can get to it as soon as the wife and kids are gone for a couple of hours. I want to be able to sit back with it and enjoy the burn.
    Got to get some of that lip burn!
    I have two resting, I intend to smoke the Intenso and Punisher in the same day for comparison. Pepper, yeah, sounds right up my alley.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    ejenne87:
    tried my first one of these last night. You know that feeling you get right before you try that new hot sauce that says, on the bottle "don't try this, you will die!"?? Well that was the feeling I was having last night when I picked this stick up. As soon as I licked the cap I knew I was in for an ass whooping, but I thought I was up to it. I lit the cigar, and as soon as it was removed from my lips the INTENSE burning started. Not a big deal I thought, this has happened before (although not this intense...) and it will go away shortly. Well about 30 minutes later it was still getting worse, I was in pain. Not too much though, I could have pushed through it, but the flavors I was getting were not even close to worth the struggle. The burning in and around my mouth was so ridiculous I could barely taste anything the cigar had to offer. At that point I just tossed it. It's a good thing this cigar was cheap (read - free). I will not be buying any of these, and I doubt that I will even try to smoke another one if it was free. The pain was not even close to worth the tiny amount of pleasure I could find. I was pretty skeptical of this smoke when I was reading about it. The whole "power for power's sake" concept of this cigar is just ridiculous.
    I wonder what it is that makes the lip burn happen? Maybe you're a bit allergic/sensitive? Or you got one with a buttload of it in there? Makes me really want to try this one though, LoL, just to see what its all about!
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    I think it has something to do with Nicotine content, I have read that people that smoke E-Cigs and get the juice on there lips get the same sensation.
    Ken Light:
    ejenne87:
    I wonder what it is that makes the lip burn happen? Maybe you're a bit allergic/sensitive? Or you got one with a buttload of it in there? Makes me really want to try this one though, LoL, just to see what its all about!
    That's just the cigar, I got that same intense lip burn, though I kind of liked it once I got used to it...it did take me by surprise at first, I've never had a cigar quite like the Punisher.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    ejenne87:
    The lip burn is quite deliberate I assure you. Intensity varies cigar to cigar but it has to do with how the cigar and wrapper is aged. All I will say is it is a natural yet very unique process yet to be done with cigars.
    I loved it, like smoking a stick with Louisiana Hot Sauce on it.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    For me the heat on the lips was too much and I can't enjoy it but there are guys in the office that love these things. I think it is one of those lOve it or hate it cigars but you won't find many folks in the middle.
  • SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    WOW I must try this!!! I love it when a cigar sets fire to your face lol!!!!! The Diesel Shorty used to do that...but alas I smoked too many and became immune. Then the Graycliff Double Espresso used to do that…but alas I smoked too many and became immune. They are still some of my favorite sticks but I’ve been looking for a good hot sauce in cigar form. Once the AJ corona sampler is in my hands I will take my cigar budget out of freeze mode and perhaps I’ll invest in this cigar. But I have to wait and see how much and how many in regards to the AJ corona.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    Ken Light:
    ejenne87:
    The lip burn is quite deliberate I assure you. Intensity varies cigar to cigar but it has to do with how the cigar and wrapper is aged. All I will say is it is a natural yet very unique process yet to be done with cigars.
    I must have had one on the worst end of that scale then. I am a big fan of hot sauce, and I enjoy some good burn but this was WAY too much. It hurt so bad that I felt stupid for even trying another draw after the first two or so. I was really disappointed too, because I was looking forward to a nice FULL bodied smoke. Oh well, I learned a lesson from this one. I wont try a smoke just because it is supposed to be the "est" smoke ever again.
    I was telling my 28 year old youngest son about the Punisher (he doesn't smoke anything, never has) and I told him to stick the tip to his lips so he could see what I was tallking about. The result was freakin hilarious as he ran from the room holding his mouth telling me I was crazy. It took me a while to stop laughing. I told him not to worry his lips would go numb shortly!