Home Cigar 101

new humidor

hey guys I am trying to take an old cigar box and turn it into a humidor. I am not sure how to go about doing so. I currently have a fifty that is quite full and want to expand a little. I have an old Upman box that would be perfect for this I just dont exactly know where to begin. One thing I am worried about is the off chance I get some mold in there, is there a way to get rid of that without hurting the cedar? and how do I prepare the box to get the proper humidity and temperature i need?

thanks for the help.

Comments

• Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    First off, thats a pretty cool idea. Secondly, I think before you put time and energy into worrying about mold, you should worry about it holding a proper seal. See if it is at all possible to create a lid that will seal out of the cigar box lid, because if it cant contain a proper environment, there is no use in putting more time and effort in a lost cause. If you do get this worked out, post a few pics of the project!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i would worry about the seal first as well. a good scentless finish on the wood (outside only) will go a long way to help that. the next issue is the seal on the lid... does it close tightly? depending on the box itself there may or may not be a spanish cedar lining in the box. if there is, and it can come out, glue it in with a glue like Titebond. this glue will not break down under high humidity and has no smell when dry.

iduno, if its what you want then go for it, but to me, it seems like a lot of effort for a very small humidor.
  • prs621prs621 Posts: 19
    I actually have changed the box I am working on, I have another Upman box that is finished and seals nicely has a couple different layers to it also so it can hold more, it just hasn't been used in a while. you were right about the seal on the other one it just didnt close tight enough. What type of humidifier would you recommend?