Home Cigar 101

Looking for sweet cigars...

stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
I'm looking for cigars that have a natural sweetness NOT SWEETENED CAPS, NOT INFUSED.
I've tasted it a few times in a few brands but nothing I could track.
I've tried cigars with the same wrapper and gotten totally different results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I think the Ruination and the A. Fernandez both have a lot of sweetness to them. What are the ones that had the sweetness you couldn't track?
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    The A. Fernandez Sumatra, the Ccom Cuban Label (had the most so far), The Kristoff Criollo, and I know there was another one but I for the life of me can't remember it.

• nikostewartnikostewart Posts: 451
    The only cigar that has really made me remember a very distinct sweet nutty flavor was the Monte #2 a few years back, unfortunately I have only had one so I don't know if it was just that particular cigar or not. I have had other cigars (mainly maduros) that have sweetness but nothing like that monte.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    The Torano Exodus Gold has some sweetnes to it, although that might be more of a cocoa flavor than pure sweetness. I always thought the old RP Fusion had a slightly sweet flavor. I'd also consider the Montesino maduro somewhat sweet too.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Swisher

really though. LFD DL Maduro chisel is sweet. Litto Gome Diez Natural Chisel is great as well. Of course, don't forget Anejo
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I find the Gurkha Empire Series VI has that natural sweetness. I have noticed that the Brazilian Arapiraca wrapper seems to have great sweetness, I have been smoking a lot of different ones lately.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    LFD Airbender, Oliveros King Havano Claro, AF Hemingway, Cohiba Red Dot, and Padilla Miami.
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    funny there are so many differences here! I always felt the Tat reds had a bit too much sweetness for my tastes.
  • Cameroon wrappers have a natural sweetness to them. Torano 1916 comes to mind.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Not sure, but IIRC, the AF 8-5-8 has a sweetness to it
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Unthought_Known:
    Cameroon wrappers have a natural sweetness to them. Torano 1916 comes to mind.
    Yep, good call. Although most cameroons (1916's included) have that sweet-pepper flavor, to me anyway. Not sure if that's along the line of what you're looking for S.H.
    I had a Gran Habano Azteca on my way home... tons of sweetness.

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Ashton Aged Maduro...very sweet cigar and picked up some chocolate notes too. Medium bodied. One more suggestion would be the Ccom Brazilian label.

"Long ashes my friends."

• bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    +2 on the Ashton Aged Maduro.

I also have to put a plug in for Onyx Reserve, which is probably one of the sweetest natural-sweet cigars I've ever had. For a different kind of sweet you can try the CAO La Traviata as well. It has a very different, somewhat meaty, tangy type sweetness to it that is really good IMO. Eat something first, it's one of those cigars you can really feel in your gut. One of my favorites.

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    From what I understand, sugars are created in the leaf during fermentation. That would suggest to me that the double-fermented maduro wrappers would tend to taste sweeter. My tongue would agree in most cases, but those Cameroons are also quite sweet. . . Montecristo Media Noche
  • bigjohn125bigjohn125 Posts: 476
    I thought the Nording was sweet. I know you don't like RP stuff, but it might be worth a shot.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    From what I understand, sugars are created in the leaf during fermentation. That would suggest to me that the double-fermented maduro wrappers would tend to taste sweeter. My tongue would agree in most cases, but those Cameroons are also quite sweet. . . Montecristo Media Noche
    this post is pretty much what i was gunna say.

a few people i know feel that cameroon cigars are sweeter than maduros but i think that maduros are.
    those were the wrappers i would have suggested.
    kuzi16:
    beatnic:

a few people i know feel that cameroon cigars are sweeter than maduros but i think that maduros are.
    It's weird cause I rarely get sweetness out of maduros...
    As a mater of fact the Azteca is the only one I ever remember getting sweetness out of.

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I suspect a southerner and west coast citizen would argue about what "sweet tea" means. You better pucker up if you order sweet things in South Carolina.
  • The HoosThe Hoos Posts: 42
    I just tried a Vegas 5 "A" that IMHO was very sweet. I had spiced rum with it, so it might be enhanced by that. I thought it was a interesting smoke.
    stephen_hannibal:
    kuzi16:
    beatnic:

It's weird cause I rarely get sweetness out of maduros...
    As a mater of fact the Azteca is the only one I ever remember getting sweetness out of.

the sweetness of a maduro is a bit more subtle. i compare it to the sweetness of a carrot (maduro) vs the sweetness of a peach (cameroon)
    not to say they taste like it but the comparison is in how much the sweetness is in your face.

• Try the Origen line by J. Fuego. I find that they have a distinct sweetness to them. I love them after dinner as a nice complement to a savory meal.
    kingofallbacks:
    Try the Origen line by J. Fuego. I find that they have a distinct sweetness to them. I love them after dinner as a nice complement to a savory meal.
    Great I have a few of these in the Humi.

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    What about the CAO CX2 or Gurkha Royal Brigade? Those are two I tend to keep on hand, and I normally go for one of those when I have a cigar sweet tooth. I know you said no infused sticks, but the Natural line from Drew Estate aren't infused. Have you tried any of those? If you want to give it a shot, try out the Irish Hops, Dirt Torpedo, or Pimp Stick.
    alienmisprint:
    What about the CAO CX2 or Gurkha Royal Brigade? Those are two I tend to keep on hand, and I normally go for one of those when I have a cigar sweet tooth. I know you said no infused sticks, but the Natural line from Drew Estate aren't infused. Have you tried any of those? If you want to give it a shot, try out the Irish Hops, Dirt Torpedo, or Pimp Stick.
    I've been on the lookout for some of the CX2.
    And the Dirt Torpedo and the Pimp stick are the mix up in my routine.
    both those sticks have some interesting flavors.

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    alienmisprint:
    I've been on the lookout for some of the CX2.
    And the Dirt Torpedo and the Pimp stick are the mix up in my routine.
    both those sticks have some interesting flavors.

They definitely do. I also dig the Juicy Lucy, it is probably the sweetest offering from the Natural line, but its so small. And for the CX2's, PM incoming.
  • GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    I tend to think sun growns are more sweet than others. You should check out some of the Perdomo lines and try some of their sungrowns and see what you think. I dig em :-P
  • MarmicoMarmico Posts: 93
    I have definitely found that both the natural and maduro versions of the Padron '64 are pretty sweet and nutty, the maduro more so than the natural, but there are nice differences between the two. I would recommend the Imperial size in both. :)
  • kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    If you want truly sweet, more so than anything mentioned here by 4x, then hit up www.tampacigars.com - they taste like they were dipped in sugar - no exhaguration!
    kaelaria:
    If you want truly sweet, more so than anything mentioned here by 4x, then hit up www.tampacigars.com - they taste like they were dipped in sugar - no exhaguration!
    were they? i know that many brands do that.
    ....baccarat comes to mind.