Home Ratings & Reviews

CAO Cigars

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
So I know this line has had some love lately, namely the Italia, Brazilian but I've only had a couple and wondering if it is worth picking up some more of these cigars. My local shop is having a push for them and while I was told good things about them, I wanted to get some feedback from some of you. I've had the Sopranos, and CX2. I liked the sopranos, but wasn't too fond of the cx2, though I do have another sitting in my humi which I'm hoping with a couple of months it will be more to my liking. I have picked up a few America's and am looking forward to them. Cigar Aficionado did a interview with Tim Ozgener in their recent edition and while reading it I was intrigued to give them all a try, but I'm cheap and try to nit pick. In the interview he's asked to rank the mildness to strongest and from the pack the gold, cameroon, cx2, then criollo. I have to say though I wasn't wow'ed by the cx2, I definitely know that I wouldn't like the gold or the cameroon since I do like stronger cigars but anyone have the Criollo?

The MX2 and the Brazilia are ranked the strongest, but which would you guy's say would be better? Anyway thanks for any info..

Comments

• gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    personally i did not like the brazillia but... i liked very much the mx2. hoping to get a italia tommorow. but would reccomend the mx2.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Is the Brazlilia like the Brazilian from cigar.com? I wasn't too into that one. The Italia both you and Kuzi seem to like, so I might have to give that one a try.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    can't say ... never had the cigar.com one
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I had the Gold and it was pretty good, havent had the brazilian...yet, havent heard much good about it either. I have had the "VR" Maduro, a damn good smoke. Smooth, a little more than subtly sweet, rich and full of good madure flavors. Burned pretty cool too.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Try the CAO Gold, its a pretty good mild smoke for when you do get tired of the stronger end of the spectrum. As for the topic at hand, I was looking to go to my B&M to pick up a Brazilia tomorrow or the next day so I might get you some input then.
  • I've got a couple of LX2's sitting in the humi that Im told are suppose to be one of CAO's stronger cigars. I haven't tried one yet to give you a first hand account, but it might something worth looking into. Also I found the America very enjoyable somewhere in the medium range
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ive seen the Lx2s on line but not in my local shop yet. I kinda wanted to try one before getting a bunch of em.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    kuzi16:
    ive seen the Lx2s on line but not in my local shop yet. I kinda wanted to try one before getting a bunch of em.
    I'll bring you one, Kuzi
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    My personal favorite CAO is the 'VR', but the Brazilia and Italia are both very good. I think the Italia was a little stronger but then again I smoked it a little faster too.
    dutyje:
    kuzi16:
    I'll bring you one, Kuzi
    sweet. ... i have a gift for you as well. oh yeah.
  • i wasn't a big fan of the Brazilia, but I've been tempted to give them another shot in case that stick was bad.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    rdnstn:
    My personal favorite CAO is the 'VR', but the Brazilia and Italia are both very good. I think the Italia was a little stronger but then again I smoked it a little faster too.
    My feelings, too.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    the Mx2 is very nice.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    mx2, cx2, L Anniversaire Maduro, are excellent. the brazilia is not bad but not a favorite. the criollo is interesting. the gold isnt bad, but very mild. but mx2 is probably in my top 5.
    Thanks for sharing. I'm going to have to probably get a hold of a mx2, lx2, italia...
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Well I just read that interview and I am excited about trying the LX2!! Now I'll have to pick up a few of the Rocky Edge Sumatra and, if they have them, the Lx2 this week! Sounds like a good smoke to me. And I do like the Brazillia and the Criollo.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    jihiggs:
    mx2, cx2, L Anniversaire Maduro, are excellent. the brazilia is not bad but not a favorite. the criollo is interesting. the gold isnt bad, but very mild. but mx2 is probably in my top 5.
    Right on the money higgs. MX-2 is a fave of mine, the LX2 is a powerhouse no doubt but its not great flavorwise.
  • The general idea I get from this thread is that everybody likes some of CAOs sticks, but not all. We just can't agree on which ones are the best.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Wafflebob:
    The general idea I get from this thread is that everybody likes some of CAOs sticks, but not all. We just can't agree on which ones are the best.
    Well if we all had the same taste in cigars, there would be no reason for cigar manufacturers like CAO to make different blends. At least when you talk about cigar blends, a word like "best" is at most subjective.
    j0z3r:
    Wafflebob:
    The general idea I get from this thread is that everybody likes some of CAOs sticks, but not all. We just can't agree on which ones are the best.
    Well if we all had the same taste in cigars, there would be no reason for cigar manufacturers like CAO to make different blends. At least when you talk about cigar blends, a word like "best" is at most subjective.
    Well said.
    Anyone have the CAO VIsion yet? I'm intrigued...
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    You and me both buddy. For one reason or another I haven't picked one up to try even though it catches my eye every time I see anything related to it.
    ha, yeah my cigar shop has every brand except the vision and the sopranos, tony soprano.
  • phobicsquirrel:
    I keep staring at it and not getting it. I have too many cigars to try. Still trying to get through all of the Punch varieties.
    Almost finished with an America Landmark, man I love this guy. Great Aroma, Tasty, and well constructed, even burn mostly.
    Picked up an LX2 today, am going to smoke this guy soon.
  • capsfanxcapsfanx Posts: 29
    I picked up an Italia yesterday and smoked it this evening. It was very good in my opinion. I think it is the strongest cigar I have had so far for sure. Having said that, I liked it alot! I have been nervous about trying anything strong so far, but with all the good things I have heard on here about the Italia I decided to pick one up and try it out. To those who have had one of these, as far as it being strong and full flavored, is this about as strong of a cigar as I most likely will ever try or does this fall somewhere in the middle?? I don't have much to compare it to so far. I will definitely be getting more of these soon though.
    to me it isnt that strong. ... but i like full bodied cigars. i would put that at medium/full. if you eat a bunch before you smoke you can handle a fuller cigar. eat a big dinner and try a camacho diploma.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Garbage. IMO. Its a mild cigar with no flavor. Of course CA rated it high, so if you have a CA approved pallete you may taste shitake mushrooms, grown during a particularly wet winter, on a north facing slope and picked just a tad too early and oh yea don't forget the floral notes. JMO ...

Pick up a CAO Cameroon or CX2 more medium bodied and much more flavor. Even the Gold which I'm not a big fan of has more flavor than the Vision.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    madurofan:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Garbage. IMO. Its a mild cigar with no flavor. Of course CA rated it high, so if you have a CA approved pallete you may taste shitake mushrooms, grown during a particularly wet winter, on a north facing slope and picked just a tad too early and oh yea don't forget the floral notes. JMO ...

Pick up a CAO Cameroon or CX2 more medium bodied and much more flavor. Even the Gold which I'm not a big fan of has more flavor than the Vision.
    Sounds like someone is on shrooms...