Home General Discussion

health/life insurance?

ok, so i want to know what you guys have done when filling out your life and helth insurance forms. because if u smoke, u have to pay more then a non smoker? so is there eather a sleted box for cigar smokers that dont breath into there lungs? and its good for you? like the glass of wine a night kind of thing? or do u have to lie and say your not a smoker? or do u just tell the truth and pay a hefty fine for it?

Comments

• so im pretty much looking for an answer from yall within the next 12 hours, cause i have to fill mine out. and i really want to now what other cigar smokers are doing? dont feel ashamed if u said u wernt a smoker? were not here to judge you. i just want whats going to be the cheapest for me? even if its having to tell a white lie.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Mine never asked so I can't help ya out. Sorry man.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Don't know how often you smoke but I usually only smoke a cigar once every one or two weeks and I'm listed as a nonsmoker on my insurance.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If you put yourself down as a non-smoker, you may save money on your payments now, but if it comes to light that you are indeed a smoker, cigar or otherwise, then I'd imagine there would potentially be grounds for denying you coverage. So the safe bet would be to put yourself as a smoker, even though we all know cigar smoking is not the same as cigarette smoking, insurance companies probably only see the issue in black and white.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Pretty sure my form asked if I had smoked within the year. I had; therefore, I am a smoker in their book. I follow what j0z3r wrote. I'd rather be legitimately covered, even if it cost me more.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    it all depends on the company you go through. my insurance knows that i smoke a cigar every now and then. my premium is not higher than if i am a non smoker. when i did my physical i had to give a urine sample. if there was nicotine in it they listed me as a smoker. the concept is that it is a "fasting physical" meaning that i knew it was coming so I went out of my way to not smoke. if there was nicotine in my system that means that even though i knew the test was coming i could not resist and i am addicted.
  • sanesane Posts: 151
    I've asked a few doctors about when I should mark on a forum that asks if I smoke and they all say if you smoke everyday or close to it then you should mark that you smoke other then that don't bother.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    sane:
    I've asked a few doctors about when I should mark on a forum that asks if I smoke and they all say if you smoke everyday or close to it then you should mark that you smoke other then that don't bother.
    Interesting. I can easily not smoke one every day if it classifies me as a "non-smoker."

Not sure what to advise, max. I didn't smoke cigars at the time I signed up for insurance at work. They haven't asked since (even though we have to re-up for it every year), and I haven't volunteered any information.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    My insurance form question asked.. Do you use tobacco of any form, including cigarettes, cigars, pipes or shredded to be placed in the mouth or nose.. Kind of hard to say no on that one.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    kaspera79:
    My insurance form question asked.. Do you use tobacco of any form, including cigarettes, cigars, pipes or shredded to be placed in the mouth or nose.. Kind of hard to say no on that one.

YUP that one is pretty black and white. If you were to answer no to that question and then smoked ANY of the listed things you lied and that would be grounds for possible denial of the claim. This form is VERY clear on the way the question is asked. You are a smoker Kaz...
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    ...but I like it, like it, Yes, I do !!
    I guess you hosers don't have to worry aboot this stuff up in Canada, eh?
    urbino:

Well we sure don't have a social life insurance system if that's what you mean.
    Actually I have private life insurance and plan on informing my agent about my "one or two a week" habit. ;)
  • Ok. Thanks for all your input. But just 4 u guys I'll let u in on a seceret. If u drop 2 drops of blach in your iron sample, it doesn't show, I think it wipes nicotin aswell. But yeah. Bleach turns any test negative, and as long as u don't exced 3 drops it's undetectable. And even then it's only detectable by smell. So yeah. That's a dirty little secret if cigars isnt the only thing out smoke that could show up in a pee test.
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269

I was in the same situation.  Basically (just cigars, not cigarettes) it will stay in your blood for a week and a half.  I had to stop cigars for about 2 weeks.....sucks but you got to do what you got to do.......Cool to know about the bleach thing though.

laker1963:
    urbino:

Actually I have private life insurance and plan on informing my agent about my "one or two a week" habit. ;)
    I was thinking of health insurance. I'd forgotten life insurance was also part of the convo.
    urbino:
    laker1963:
    urbino:

I was thinking of health insurance. I'd forgotten life insurance was also part of the convo.

Well that part is true. It is way cheaper to be fat and unhealthy up here ;)