Home General Discussion

Gurkha Beauty cigars and the expensive tubes with cedar packaging

I’m writing this post in response to my order of 20 Gurkha Beauty cigars that I placed last week. I was shocked to see that they did not come packaged in a smoky glass tube and a cedar wrapper, as it was describe in ccom's cigar description and picture. I know that it’s not the packaging that makes a cigar great. But that is one of the attributes that make Gurkha a “Gurkha”. So what I'm asking you guys should I make this a big deal or not?

Comments

• lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    The deal you got for such a great price is because you don't get the tube. The deal is the Gurkha Guerrilla Warfare correct?
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Its been my experience that alot of the deals they are able to make are due to getting their cigars sans boxes/packaging. For instance, I have an unwrapped bundle of Camacho Corojo Ltd in my humidor, which aren't sold in bundles or mazos. I assume that since Ccom (and other online distributors) can move such a large quantity of singles in samplers or 5-packs, cigar companies help keep the cost down by not spending money on wasted boxes/packaging.
  • VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    Im interested to know, if this WAS the guerrilla warfare gurkha deal, were the beauties in a light shade connecticut wrapper or were they in dark maduro style wrappers?

That being said, its unrealistic to expect the fancy beauty hoopla with the warfare deal, half the reason they can cut prices to the cutthroat level is because they dont include the frosted glass tubes etc. If you want the window dressing, you're looking at the 30 dollar price per stick (which is insanity in itself).
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    Welcome to the disappointment of Gurkha. I agree with the other comments said above regarding pricing and the retail deals. However, you never know what you gonna get from this company (Gurkha not Ccom.) I had a similar problem years ago (http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/51999.aspx) that I posted about. I contacted Gurkha and nothing...they don't respond to paying customers. I assume Ccom is just passing on prepacked deals, from these guys. Gurkha reps or whoever does their sales should answering questions like this. I'm fairly certain there are like 5 different Gurkha blends, that they slap 40 or so different bands on. Ive stopped buying this brand out of discuss in early 09. Alright....done venting over for this year on Gurkha....back to my enjoyment of cigars.
  • dwayne3307dwayne3307 Posts: 272
    I ordered 20 of them as well but I knew before hand that they would not come with the glass tube or cedar wrapper. Someone made a post about it, don't remember who, but that's one of the reasons they were so cheap. You didn't really expect to get the tubes and cedar wrapper for $4 a piece did you?
    Were they in light shaded connecticut wrappers or were they dark maduros? Im curious if these are "real" beauties per say, or their new maduro knockoff stuff (which ultimately defeats the point of naming them beauties in the first place).
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    They are not maduro.
    Vidarien:
    Were they in light shaded connecticut wrappers or were they dark maduros? Im curious if these are "real" beauties per say, or their new maduro knockoff stuff (which ultimately defeats the point of naming them beauties in the first place).
    I have never seen them in maduro. I think you should stop buying from your b&m and stick to CCom. :D
    lcpleel:
    Vidarien:
    I have never seen them in maduro. I think you should stop buying from your b&m and stick to CCom. :D

http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/general-cigar-discussion/266720-issues-gurkha-beauty-well-least-supposed-beauty.html
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    It's amazing how much packaging can affect pricing. I went to a tequila tasting at a local B&M liquor store here and tried El Jimador anejo and really liked it. The woman working for their distributor told me that they'd recently changed the packaging on the anejo to match their blanco and reposado and while it wasn't quite so flashy, it dropped the price of the product from around $90 to around $30. Same product inside, no flashy pewter label on a bottle different from the rest of the line.

Bottom line, much like Gurkha, that bottle of tequila was absolutely worth $30, regardless of packaging. Had they not changed it and kept the $90 price tag, I probably would have passed. If you're getting the same cigars without the fancy tubes at a 10th of the price, consider it a deal.
  • dwayne3307dwayne3307 Posts: 272
    i'm still learning about the wrappers so i'm iffy on what is what but I have one of the glass tubed Beauty's and some of the Warfare Beauty's and they look identical. If I took them out of the cellophane/tubes, you couldn't tell them apart.
    lcpleel:
    Vidarien:
    the link in my post above shows the "Maduro" Beauty and the regular Beast together.
    Stryker808:
    lcpleel:
    Vidarien:
    the link in my post above shows the "Maduro" Beauty and the regular Beast together.
    Was that really a maduro beauty or just a mislabeling?
    Thats a great question, maybe the whole "maduro" beauty thing was a fluke that just kind of spread on the airwaves. I really dont know, hence i was curious if the warfare beauties seemed like the originals.
  • 415415 Posts: 951
    yes the warfare beauties are like the originals. minus the tube and cedar
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I got a sampler over a year ago, it was one of the "spend over $X and get these cigaars free" deals. It had three cigars in it, a Beauty, a Beast, and a Titan. Deal was though, that none of them were what I was expecting at all. All three were the exact same size/shape, roughly a robusto (not what Gurkha calls a robusto either, they were 5-5 1/2" with a ring no larger than 54), and they were all maduros.
  • niz33niz33 Posts: 83
    Thx for all the info guys. Yes this are the ones from the guerrilla warfare Gurkha deal. Yes this are the light shaded Connecticut wrappers.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Some good points, but if the description says tubed (or whatever) and that's not what you get, that's not kosher, plain and simple. If it doesn't include them, the ad needs a disclaimer. I work in retail.. believe me, we'd get screamed at for this.
    lcpleel:
    Stryker808:
    lcpleel:
    Vidarien:
    Was that really a maduro beauty or just a mislabeling?
    Thats what I suspected. Smoked em back to back and they tasted exactly the same. Im not sure what this "warefare beauty" is some guys are talking about, but if it is supposed to be like that, it defeats the whole point of the whole beauty and beast, connie shade maduro thing Gurkha was going after.
    niz33:
    Thx for all the info guys. Yes this are the ones from the guerrilla warfare Gurkha deal. Yes this are the light shaded Connecticut wrappers.
    Yea the Guirrilla Warefare was mentioned that the cigars will not have the tubes. and will come only as is.