Home General Discussion

Anyone Know What This Is?

PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
My buddy Nick got me several cigars and a leather travel case for my b-day, and I'm not sure exactly which Tat this is. It's a lancero and appears to be box pressed. I've never see this band and I'd love any info anyone can provide. Thanks guys!
Photobucket

Comments

• lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    There are 5100 cigars total, and come in bundles and boxes of 15 (so, 340 Bundles of 15, although not all will be for sale, and they will be in bundles first, then perhaps in boxes in later releases)...Pete has said that the "Tattoo" label will be released once a year, but will feature a different vitola and different blend every year...
    Nicaragua
    Wrapper: Habano Rosado Oscuro
    Binder: Nicaragua
    Filler: Nicaragua
    Size: 7.5 inches
    Ring Gauge: 38
    Vitola: Box-Pressed Lancero
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Pete?!? So I guess it ANOTHER ultra limited Tatuaje ... I refuse to acknowledge its exsistence.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    Pete?!? So I guess it ANOTHER ultra limited Tatuaje ... I refuse to acknowledge its exsistence.
    Amen to that.
  • lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Yup only 5100 and not all are out inthe market.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Thanks for the info! He found them in our B&M and wasn't even looking for them. I guess I lucked out and got a rare gift with this one. Also got and East side and a West Side, La Aroma EE Lancero, San Cristobal Lancero, and a Mi Amor. Pretty awesome sampler.
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    j0z3r:
    madurofan:
    Amen to that.
    I know Pete gets a bad rap for the limited stuff, but I do like it. It's nice to get things that are not mass runs. Just because he makes limited runs doesn't mean anyone needs to feel the need to try and search them out.
    rossdavey2:
    j0z3r:
    madurofan:
    Amen to that.
    I know Pete gets a bad rap for the limited stuff, but I do like it. It's nice to get things that are not mass runs. Just because he makes limited runs doesn't mean anyone needs to feel the need to try and search them out.
    My issue is that he does so many limited run blends, and for a fan of Tatuaje cigars it can become an obsession to try and get them all. Another thing I take issue with is that these limited run blends aren't necessarily limited due to a certain quantity of tobacco available, they're just limited for the sake of being limited. What that does is create a bloated demand and not everyone who wants to try one is able to. I just wish he would do fewer limited runs and instead expand his normal production lines.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    Thanks for the info! He found them in our B&M and wasn't even looking for them. I guess I lucked out and got a rare gift with this one. Also got and East side and a West Side, La Aroma EE Lancero, San Cristobal Lancero, and a Mi Amor. Pretty awesome sampler.
    Can you see if your B&M still has any more?????
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i am starting to think more and more that DPG/My father cigars is just using Pete/Tatuaje as an outlet for tobaccos that are in small quantities in the factory. this small quantity wont permit a long run/regular release cigar. like any good business, they dont wanna waste anything. so they take their most "boutique" brand and have a one or two time run to make it a great profit instead of a loss.

i still have a hard time getting into the LE tats.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Money, prestige, word of mouth advertising, feeling youre getting something great that are so few.....all reasons P.J. does this with him limitied blends. I agree with Kuzi that I find most of them average and think alot of people (not saying guys here) are smoking the hype of what they hear and not really what their palate is telling them.
    kuzi16:
    i am starting to think more and more that DPG/My father cigars is just using Pete/Tatuaje as an outlet for tobaccos that are in small quantities in the factory. this small quantity wont permit a long run/regular release cigar. like any good business, they dont wanna waste anything. so they take their most "boutique" brand and have a one or two time run to make it a great profit instead of a loss.

The question is, are they truly limited by the tobacco, or is Tatuaje limiting the production just to create demand? That's what I want to know. I have no problem with limited run cigars in general, but Tatuaje is making a business out of limited runs.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:

The question is, are they truly limited by the tobacco, or is Tatuaje limiting the production just to create demand? That's what I want to know. I have no problem with limited run cigars in general, but Tatuaje is making a business out of limited runs.
    Agree with this assessment also.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:

Agree with this assessment also.
    i mean i cant be 100% sure but when i was talking to Pete at the factory he was making comments about how there "was a few bundles of tobacco sittin around so we made "x" blend"
    there was more than one occasion that a statement like that was made. the most notable was about the 100% connecticut cigar. he said they had all this extra tobacco and they didnt want it to go to waste.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    lilwing88:
    PuroFreak:
    I can try to get down there this week and check. I'm pretty excited about it.
  • NightHawkNightHawk Posts: 247
    I dont think of it as Pete getting a bad rep, because die hard fans will hunt down the LE smokes, and others will buy them for the sake of the hype. either way, they sell, and if you are making the smokes, then why not. I think Pete is doing something so different in this business, and he is constantly trying new things and if i remember correctly, Pete had said in a past interview he was planning a "fan club" of some sort where the hardcore tatuaje smokers and fans will be able to get advance notice and purchase opportunities for future blends and LE stuff. So those guys are not forgotten. I do enjoy his blending style, and when available I will purchase his cigars, but I am not a big enough fan of the hype to go on a hunt for all the hard to acquire smokes. To each their own.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah. Gotta agree with u hawk. It is what he does and he seems to be pretty successful with it. If I were really successful I wouldn't go changing my approach until I started to become unsuccessful.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    lilwing88:
    PuroFreak:
    I can try to get down there this week and check. I'm pretty excited about it.
    Cool! Let me know if you find any. We could work out paypal or something. Just want 2 or 3 if they got 'em.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I can shed some light on this. I recently went to the Federal Cigar Anniversary sale, where Pete had recently made a blend specifically for Rick, the owner of Federal Cigar of NH. They released the tattoo lancero as a bit of an experiment to see how the anniversary cigar would taste in a lancero size. By the time I got there, however, they had completely sold out and the store manager, Ben agreed to bring me one next time I'm there. Hopefully it's good but I didn't hear any complaints that day.
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of this size, but what Pete and now Viaje are starting to do is very similar.

The LEs are released because the Shop Owner pays money to Tatuaje to make them a cigar. I mean think about it...when you are the only one to have a LE cigar by Tatuaje and have about 200-400 boxes of stuff that will fly off the shelf, why not right?. Just for example, usually these LE cigars range from about $10-$15 and lets say they make 400 boxes of 20 per box. Just that one LE cigar will generate any where from $80,000 - $120,000. After all expenses, I'm sure they are making about 50% profit on these cigars, if not more. And one LE per store every few months so that way they are not competing with each other. I'm sure Tatuaje will not give a store like 4 or 5 LEs a year, but he has limits to keep them LE. He knows what hes doing and so do the shops. Thats how Tatuaje works IMO and Viaje is on the exact same path.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Word straight from Pete himself is that these are just a box pressed Especiales.