Home Cigar 101

general cigar newb questions...

capsfanxcapsfanx Posts: 29
I was recently introduced to cigars by a family member. I have only had a few now. I went into a couple of cigar shops to try a couple out. There are soooo many....I hate to throw money away. So my questions are as follows..

1.  Is there a fairly cheap cigar for a newb like me I should be able to pick up at most any local shop? Something to help develop my taste and also something that is not going to break the bank. Something I could buy a box of maybe, and if I have friends over would be something good to basically hand out for free. The person who introduced me to this gave me a cigar with a label that said I believe "Bocky **** " ?? I think I am not sure if that is the brand or not? Anyone heard of this?? It seemed pretty good to me. It burned nice and even and seemed pretty mild. Had a nice taste. I think he said they were like $4 each.

2.  I do not have a humidor obviously at this point. I am going to look into getting a small one soon. Should I only buy 1-2 at a time for now until I do get one?? If I get more, any way to keep them fresh? I am guessing tupperware or something??

3. Is it not a good idea to smoke a cigar right from the shop without it being in a humidor for a while at your house??

4. Any tips or advice or whatever you are willing to offer up would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

capsfanx

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The next time you go into the shop, ask someone there to show you the Oliva Cigars and/or the Cusano cigars if they carry either or both. Look for the Cusano 18 Double Connecticut and the Oliva Serie G specifically, both are pretty good and reasonably priced.

Tupperware will work just fine until you get a humidor setup.

Usually a cigar straight from the shop will smoke just fine, they are usually kept at optimal levels.

Advice? Take you time and enjoy. And welcome to the forums.
  • First, welcome!
    1)The amount of cigars out there is staggering, and telling you a few to try would be just as overwhelming, because everyone's taste is different. I would go to the shop and instead of looking for paticular brand, ask for cigars wrapped in Connecticut wrappers. These tend to be milder and more pleasing to beginers. Some examples are CAO Gold, Rocky Patel Edge Lite, Flor de Oliva, and Bacarat. All these are pretty common and should be had for fairly cheap. But talk to the shop owners, no only can you learn a lot, it never hurts to get in good with them for those limited releases that are saved in the back for special friends ;)
    2)Humidor's will keep the smokes at the best level, but for short term storage tupperware works fine.
    3)I wouldn't leave a cigar out for more then a day or two, especially in this dry winter air. The cigars will dry out quick.
    4)Try lots, keep notes, and buy the biggest humidor you can afford now, you will need it down the road!
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    jaytothen:
    First, welcome!
    4)Try lots, keep notes, and buy the biggest humidor you can afford now, you will need it down the road!
    Now thats a true statement!!

I always tell my friends a grat way to start off is with a ccom sampler. They are cheap(price wise), good quality, and it really runs the spectrum of cigars out there from corojo wrappers to connecticut, maduro and habano. Welcome to the Forums!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Pick up some samplers here, and try anything.. You will find good cigars and great cigars alike. Along with what will become your favorites. Pick up a single when you hear someone speak highly of them, and remember it doesn't have to cost 25 bucks to be a good cigar.. One of the least expensive ( and best ) cigars I enjoy is the 5 Vegas Classic. They are highly regarded here for a good reason.

Patel, Torano, Fuentes, CAO, Pepin, Avo, Gurkha, Oliva, Cusano, Padron, and the House Brand here, to name just a few, all offer great quality for varying prices. Most cigars you will try will be good since the consumer ( you, me ) will not let inferior labels stay around very long.

Ziplock bags and tupperware with water pillows work okay for short term storage, but take the plunge on a Humidor and you will give yourself the ability to expand your inventory, as you will quickly develop your personal taste preferences. Avoid boxes at the start since there is so much out there to "sample" first..

Have fun, and enjoy the new hobby. In time you will find the perfect go to cigar.
    kas
  • VidarienVidarien Posts: 246

j0z3r:
    The next time you go into the shop, ask someone there to show you the Oliva Cigars and/or the Cusano cigars if they carry either or both. Look for the Cusano 18 Double Connecticut and the Oliva Serie G specifically, both are pretty good and reasonably priced.

Tupperware will work just fine until you get a humidor setup.

Usually a cigar straight from the shop will smoke just fine, they are usually kept at optimal levels.

Advice? Take you time and enjoy. And welcome to the forums.

The Cusano 18 Double C is always suggested as an intro version, but...i kind of wonder whether itd be a better idea to suggest a 5 vegas gold or something as a better mild intro cigar.  The problem with the cusano 18 in my mind is that...yeah...its definately mild and has a good flavor...but sometimes with one of those that flavor comes at a price as it feels more like you're smoking air than cigar.  At least other milds like the 5 vegas gold have a little more feeling of depth to them.  Even the Rocky Patel Connecticuts felt like they had more filler.

Just my opinion though.

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I agree to a point, personally I feel the Cusano has a good deal of flavor for a mild cigar, I like it just as much as the 5V Gold. Of course, personal preference plays a part, different smokes for different folks. Either way, I don't think one can go wrong with any of those, they are all worth the asking price IMO.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK forum guys will try this one again. Capsfanx, I am looking to help a newb out. This is one of the greatest hobbies out there because it makes you slow down, take a time out and enjoy one of the finest pleasures I have been introduced to, CIGARS. I have a 100 -125 count humidor that I have outgrown if you PM me your address I will send it out to you, soon hopefully, and if you like it keep it and send me the cost of postage. 'Tis the CHRISTMAS season. If you do keep it and enjoy it, until you outgrow it, all I ask is that you do the same and send it onto the next budding enthusist. I will include a PARADIEM humidifier and will charge it before sending it out to you so it should be ready to go from day one. Anyway, welcome to this forum and the world of cigars. Sit back, relax and enjoy. Todd
  • capsfanxcapsfanx Posts: 29
    ???? Are you serious??? I don't know what to say other than Thank You!!  PM sent.
    I promise I will pay it forward once I "outgrow it". Let me know how much to send you.

I sat outside last night and had a smoke by myself. Weather was nice for one, and it was very peaceful. I am catching a little flack from the wife about starting to do this...but I think she will be ok with it after a bit so long as I do not do it around her and the kids. But it was very relaxing. I need to get a good lighter though. I am going to stop somewhere today and pick one up. I had a regular lighter that I found, fell apart while trying to light it,lol, so I got out the matches the cigar shop gave me when I picked up a couple of  Fonseca cigars that the guy in the shop recommended.
  • dep691dep691 Posts: 311
    Fonseca?!?!?! run, dont walk from that cigar! Just kidding about that. When starting off try not to overload yourself with cigars. Buy three singles of the same cigar, stick with the most popular brands, fuente, padron, perdomo, cusano, rocky, ashton, olivia, camacho, etc. Try not to buy a box of cigars you may regret it later on. Take your time, figure out what flavors you like in a cigar the size of the cigar and go from there. Oh, matches are good to use, just remember to let the sulphur burn off before lighting the cigar.
    The Fonseca does not get much love I guess?? LOL! I only got 2 of them. When I first started with it last night...honestly I could not even taste it, after a few minutes though it was not too bad, seemed to burn nice and even and was pretty smooth. Maybe a bit too mild I guess though. Seeing as I am new...really do not have much to compare it to though.
  • dep691dep691 Posts: 311
    I had a fonseca before wasn't bad just not to my liking. But I tend to like fuller bodied cigars.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i wasnt a big fan of fonseca either. I had the Habana Seleccion. im almost 100% sure that its because the binder and wrapper on that cigar is Nicaraguan grown. I was looking for more. If i remember correctly i gave it a rating in the low 8's as in 8.0 - 8.5
    not so much a bad cigar as not my thing. ... also i seem to remember some burn issues.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I would just like to add that I have nothing to add. I think you guys covered pretty much everything.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    I would just like to add that I have nothing to add. I think you guys covered pretty much everything.
    lol!

you know swisher sweets don't need a humi... =)
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    or backwoods
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gearing up for my 40th B-day this weekend but will try to get it out next week so you'll have it for Christmas. Todd
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    capsfanx:
    I was recently introduced to cigars by a family member. I have only had a few now. I went into a couple of cigar shops to try a couple out. There are soooo many....I hate to throw money away. So my questions are as follows..

1.  Is there a fairly cheap cigar for a newb like me I should be able to pick up at most any local shop? Something to help develop my taste and also something that is not going to break the bank. Something I could buy a box of maybe, and if I have friends over would be something good to basically hand out for free. The person who introduced me to this gave me a cigar with a label that said I believe "Bocky **** " ?? I think I am not sure if that is the brand or not? Anyone heard of this?? It seemed pretty good to me. It burned nice and even and seemed pretty mild. Had a nice taste. I think he said they were like $4 each.

2.  I do not have a humidor obviously at this point. I am going to look into getting a small one soon. Should I only buy 1-2 at a time for now until I do get one?? If I get more, any way to keep them fresh? I am guessing tupperware or something??

3. Is it not a good idea to smoke a cigar right from the shop without it being in a humidor for a while at your house??

4. Any tips or advice or whatever you are willing to offer up would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

capsfanx
    First I think the Bocky **** you are referring to is probably a Baccarat. This is a classic beginners cigar, the cap is artifically sweetened which can be good for a beginner.

1.I will agree with the Cusanos as a good starter cigar. I would also say to try some A.Fuente's.
    2.Sounds like you were taken care of in the category, that was a helluva offer.
    3.You're fine to smoke straight from a shop. A lot of guys prefer their cigars to rest for a little but don't concern yourself with that too much now.
    4.Read as much as you can. Take your time enjoy and remember this hobby is very personal and ritualistic, don't worry too much about what others like or don't like yet. Later on when your palate is developed you'll be able to pick up what someone did or didn't like in a cigar and determine whether you will like that cigar or not from that sometimes but just bc one person hated a cigar doesn't mean that its a bad cigar.

If your wife is concerned about the smell or helath issues here are a few tips. Designate a jacket as your "smoking jacket" leave it in the garage before you come in. Second buy listerine and gargle after you smoke. Wash your hands as well. Also in the health area, exhale through your nose as little as possible and feel free to spit.
    Thanks for all the replies. I had a couple on Saturday. A buddy of mine is in the Navy and had some cigars he wanted us to try. He said they were Cuban, they Cohiba - had a yellow label and had (I think) Habano, Cuba wrote on the label?? Does this sound right?? Anyway, it was very good to me. Afterwards, about an hour and a half later we decided we wanted another and went up to the liquor store that is close by. They have a very nice selection there. The guy recommended the Perdomo Reserve Champagne. It was very good, definitely stronger than the one we had first. Was a long evening/night with lots of beer and a good 2 hours of smoking and BS'ng with friends. I am defnitely hooked now!!

I went yesterday and picked up a Xicar Executive ligther since I did not have a lighter. I also picked up 2ea NUB Connecticut cigars to try. I noticed here on the main page of the site the window that comes up with the top 10 list, the NUB was listed as #1 so I figured I would try it out. What do you guys think of them?? The B&M I went to does not have the Cusano or 5 Vegas Gold for some reason that everyone on here has been recommending to people. I am going to check out another place downtown maybe today for those.

capsfanx
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I am still relatively new to cigars, and what really helped me to appreciate cigars more was to read (believe it or not) Idiots Guide to Cigars. This is a great book for the cigar begininer. It is totally geared toward the noob. It teaches you about all the different kinds of cigars, how to cut, light, cigar lingo, how to taste a cigar, etc...I have been passing it around with all my other cigar buddies and they say the samething. You can pick it up at Amazon.

"Long ashes my friends."

cohiba is the right brand but there is better than a good chance it was a fake. that brand is the most often faked cuban. another thing that points me that that one was a fake is that the perdomo champagne was stronger than the cohiba. a real cohiba would probably be stronger than that particular cigar.

you will not find 5 vegas in many (if any) B&Ms. its almost exclusively an online cigar company.
    kuzi16:
    cohiba is the right brand but there is better than a good chance it was a fake. that brand is the most often faked cuban. another thing that points me that that one was a fake is that the perdomo champagne was stronger than the cohiba. a real cohiba would probably be stronger than that particular cigar.

you will not find 5 vegas in many (if any) B&Ms. its almost exclusively an online cigar company.

From what I had heard about Cuban cigars in the past I thought the same thing. I did not question him though as he was very proud that he had "Cuban" cigars. Whether they were or not, it was very good in my opinion and I would love to get more like it or similar,lol. Was very smooth.

I went to a place here in Jacksonville I thought would have anything I could possibly want today. They have a ton of stuff, but as you said no 5 Vegas, nor did they have any of the Cusano 18.  Once I get a humidor I will order some of those to check out.

Krieg:
    I am still relatively new to cigars, and what really helped me to appreciate cigars more was to read (believe it or not) Idiots Guide to Cigars. This is a great book for the cigar begininer. It is totally geared toward the noob. It teaches you about all the different kinds of cigars, how to cut, light, cigar lingo, how to taste a cigar, etc...I have been passing it around with all my other cigar buddies and they say the samething. You can pick it up at Amazon.

I will check that out. Thanks for the tip!!
    better than 50-50 it could be a fake cohiba- but,,, having said that your friend in the navy proably had a good chance of getting his hands on the real thing if he is visiting different ports. the are several good sites you can google if you still have the band or a photogenic memory that will tell you what to look for on a fake versus the real deal.
    gmill880:
    better than 50-50 it could be a fake cohiba- but,,, having said that your friend in the navy proably had a good chance of getting his hands on the real thing if he is visiting different ports. the are several good sites you can google if you still have the band or a photogenic memory that will tell you what to look for on a fake versus the real deal.

I found a site to check it out...unfortunately I don't remember exactly which the label I had looked like most. I will see if I can get another one from him or at least look at it. I did not save the band. I want to say it did not have the raised lettering which the real one has, but who knows. I did not know there were fakes,lol.
    another sign is the number of rows of blocks above a certain area- if you can get another from him it will be easy to tell from the info available on the net- even if he can email you a pic of the band
    photogenic hahahaha, duh i meant photographic memory- thats what i get for messing around here at work
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    This will show you real and counterfeit labels Clicky Clicky
    madurofan:
    This will show you real and counterfeit labels Clicky Clicky
    ... and here
    Well, I got to sit outside last night and enjoy a NUB 460 Connecticut. Was very nice. I will definitely be picking up some more of these soon. I used my new lighter for the first time, wow what a difference, it was so much easier to light with a butane lighter. I also used my v-groove cutter for the first time. Seemed to be alot easier and a no brainer as it does not alow you to cut too much. Not sure if I cut too much off the others I have smoked or not. The NUB I had is my favorite that I have had so far. Great flavor and aroma to me. Of course I am new and have only tried a few so far. 
    you always know if you cut off too much... if you did then the cigar will unravel from the cap on down.