Home Cigar 101

Buying Cigars Online .... How??

Hello everyone.  I am a relative newbie to the cigar world.  Hence, I have never bought cigars online.  My dad told me that Cigar.com is the best site, and he was right.  My dilemma is this: I normally buy cigars in a cigar shop, so I know exactly what I am buying in terms of size, tobacco, etc.  You could say that I buy my cigars "by sight".  However, on Cigar.com, I know the brand that I like, but I don't know which cigar is which.  Is it just a matter of experience to know the different cuts, lengths, etc of cigars, or am I missing something??

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    There are common sizes that you can go by, though usually you have to have a general idea of the ring gauge (thickness) and length. Some of the common sizes are the corona which is typically 5-6 inches in length with a ring gauge of 44...that's roughly the size of your pinky finger, another is the robusto which is 5 inches with a 50 ring gauge and the toro/epicure which is usually about an inch longer than the robusto with a 50-52 ring, and the torpedo which is generally 6.2 inches by a 52 ring. I used the words "generally" and "typically" because not all cigar makers craft their cigars exactly the same, but those are guidelines to go by.

If you have trouble identifying what size you are looking for, you can always call up cigar.com customer service and they will be more than happy to not only help you identify what size you are looking for but they can also recommend other cigars you might like based on the one you are buying.

Hope that helps you some.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    The makers don't help new smokers any by using all kinds of non-standard names for sizes and shapes. I guess they do it for marketing purposes, but it's just annoying.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I completely agree.
  • VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    Its also annoying because for example...a fuente corona isnt the same spec as a R&J corona.  Manufacturers seem to be ok using corona/toro/churchill etc and then they pick the sizing numbers themselves.  Usually its not terribly terribly different, but it can be...the raw numbers tell the truth.
    Yup.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I normally og to the cigar shop to "window shop" Get an idea on what i want to buy, jot it down and order them online. That way you know the size you are getting. Lots of good places online too, i live on c-bid lol.
    Jetmech_63:
    I normally og to the cigar shop to "window shop" Get an idea on what i want to buy, jot it down and order them online. That way you know the size you are getting. Lots of good places online too, i live on c-bid lol.
    That's a good strategy, but it's good to throw some business the local shop's way, too.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Jetmech_63:
    That's a good strategy, but it's good to throw some business the local shop's way, too.
    Absolutley! Whenever i go in i make it a point to buy one or two, especially if i stay there to smoke. Gotta keep the local B&M open to window shop, a delicate balance :) BTW you ever get my PIF?
    Yes. I posted about it in the Good Traders thread. Thanks!
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    MWhitver:
    Hello everyone.  I am a relative newbie to the cigar world.  Hence, I have never bought cigars online.  My dad told me that Cigar.com is the best site, and he was right.  My dilemma is this: I normally buy cigars in a cigar shop, so I know exactly what I am buying in terms of size, tobacco, etc.  You could say that I buy my cigars "by sight".  However, on Cigar.com, I know the brand that I like, but I don't know which cigar is which.  Is it just a matter of experience to know the different cuts, lengths, etc of cigars, or am I missing something??
    Everyone had great advice but I'd say your best bet would to be to give Ccom a call.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    It would be nice to have a standard size for a so called name such as toro. It does get confusing. I do like seeing the cigars before I buy them, though if I've never had it I have to go off what the shop keeper says, vs people who I know I can relate too such as here. Also I find things are cheaper online when buying in bulk. If I'm going to buy a few sticks say, 60 dollars or so, I'll buy at the local shop, but if I'm buying a box or a large purchase I'll go online. For instance, Cccom had a good deal on the GOF box, vs ordering one at my local shop. I blame the taxes which are retarded.