Home General Discussion

C.com members with wifes and girlfriends

I have a question for all cigar.com members who have wifes and girlfriends. How many of you out there have significant others who hate you smoking cigars or try to get you to stop smoking cigars?

Comments

• rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    My girlfriend is ok with me smoking cigars (she did buy me my first humidor) but she hates the smell of my breath after I get done smoking, says that it smells like dog $***.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    she hates that i smoke cigars. She hates it more that i smoke em with friends. She hates it even more that i smoke em with my Dad. She hates it EVEN MORE that i smoke em with HER Dad.

i smoke outside only. Rare occasions around her.
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    My wife luvs the smell of cigars, trying to get her started and get away from those damned cigarettes.....
  • carmike22carmike22 Posts: 70
    My wife doesn't mind that I smoke cigars. Usually she will take a few puffs if she's outside with me.
  • jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    +1 to what kuz and mccloud said. She doesn't say anything but I know the smell bothers her. I thought cigar smelled bad at one time so I understand completely. I think she's also worried about my health but I remind her that the nicotine intake is different than cigarettes and I smoke infrequently. Plus, it's the only vice I have and she knows it could be a lot worse.

Every once and while she'll have a swisher sweet when we're partying with folks, but that's it.
  • golfcigarjunkiegolfcigarjunkie Posts: 61
    My wife is pretty good...there are rules though. No smoking in the house and no smoking in vehicles (although I do break that one in the winter with the windows down and the cigar held out the window). She did make a comment about lighting up a second cigar on the golf course one time and I told her if she said that again it would be the last time she golfed with me!
  • bass8844bass8844 Posts: 416
    My girlfriend doesn't really mind that I smoke. What she does mind is the fact that my collection almost takes up half of my room! Now every time I make a purchase, I hide it from her. I come back at her with "why do you have so many shoes?"....but I don't know if that was the smartest thing to say.
  • Markbb:
    My wife luvs the smell of cigars, trying to get her started and get away from those damned cigarettes.....

I always find it amusing when people that smoke cigarettes get turned off by cigars. I smoked cigarettes for two years on and off in my teens and honestly, I would never go back. Cigars actually taste like something other than chemicals. Sure they might seem expensive, but a lot of smokers could buy a decent premium or two per day with the money they blow on cigarettes.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    My wife often buys me cigars as gifts because she knows I enjoy them. I rarely smoke them in her presence but sometimes when I come in after having one she will ask "were you smoking a cigar" that's my hint to hit the shower and toothbrush. She never tried to stop me or outright complain, I quess as long as it does not intrude on her it's okay. Never in the house or her car. Works for me.
  • pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    My girlfriend doesn't mind until I have those 3 cigar days. It takes up a lot of my time on those days which I enjoy but she doesn't since she's not participating.
  • phishermanphisherman Posts: 79
    My wife doens't really mind. She may make a commnet here or there; but nothing big. I have cut back on my spending a lot. Plus she has nothing on me in the spending department. I would have a lot more cigars if I spent what she does in a month on cigarettes on my cigar collection. She probably spends 20 bucks a week: multiply that by 4 and you get 80 vbucks a month. I usually only spend 80 bucks every couple of months. I don't buy as much as I used to.
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    Same here. I think my wife gets more mad about the cost of the cigars than the actual smoking.  Shell smoke a cigar now and then and lets me smoke every night, but when she sees those beautiful boxes being delivered at the door I get the Spanish inquisition  on spending.
  • kaveniuskavenius Posts: 46
    My entrance into the cigar smoking world was touch and go. I have only been married for 9 months now, and I wasn't sure what to expect when I started smoking 3 months ago. That being said, I'd smoke one when I went to a bar after a hockey game to sort of break her into the scene. Then I'd smoke one once in a while outside while working in the garage. She didn't seem to mind. Now I smoke whenever I feel like it, OUTSIDE, of course. But no complaints as of yet.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    there are some advantages to being a bachelor. I live alone so no one tells me what to do, cept for my landlord. she wont let me smoke on the balcony. Rules are rules so I dont smoke here, I just go to the park.
  • HeaneyHeaney Posts: 13
    My girl friend does not mind or care that I smoke cigars. doesn't care for the smoke. Its rare, but she will smoke an Acid 1400cc when I am on the patio smoking.
  • dep691dep691 Posts: 311
    My wife doesn't mind, even likes the smell of certain cigars that I smoke. Although I have to admit I keep her in the dark about the price of the cigars that I smoke.  What she doesn't know wont hurt her,,,,,,,,,,lol.
  • DocTDocT Posts: 6
    My wife hates me BUYING cigars. But as far as smoking goes, as long as I don't smoke it around her is fine.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Call me a lucky SumBitch for my Girlfriend is a fellow smoker. Not as into it as I am and won't take down a whole cigar over an hours time usually, but the smaller flavored ones by CAO or Drew Estates she'll smoke with me about once a week. Just yesterday she said that she was craving one. Two days ago we went to Lake Country Cigars here in Wisconsin and I bought a CAO Mx2 and she had a Kahlua (bigger than mine!) and we sat in the store and smoked them over a couple beers
  • pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    Lasabar:
    Call me a lucky SumBitch for my Girlfriend is a fellow smoker. Not as into it as I am and won't take down a whole cigar over an hours time usually, but the smaller flavored ones by CAO or Drew Estates she'll smoke with me about once a week. Just yesterday she said that she was craving one. Two days ago we went to Lake Country Cigars here in Wisconsin and I bought a CAO Mx2 and she had a Kahlua (bigger than mine!) and we sat in the store and smoked them over a couple beers
    Very Nice!
  • firemshllfiremshll Posts: 19
    I guess I'm lucky too. My girl asks me all the time if I would like to go sit outside and smoke. As a matter of fact, she bought me a La Flor Dominica Ligero the other day - all on her own! I didn't care for the stick, but it's the thought that counts!
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    My wife will smoke cigarettes when I smoke a cigar if that counts lol. Shes one of those wierd people who don't get addicted to cigarettes, she'll smoke MAYBE a pack every week to ten days. fire, I had a La Flor Ligero the other day too. Burned crappy, wouldn't stay lit and was just an ok cigar. I'd heard so much hype on them and the guy at the B&M said it was one of his favorites, he felt so bad. Every time it went out he kept apologizing, gave me a RP Edge(a cigar he knows I like) to make up for it.
    man, i wish my wife would buy me cigars. that would be great. at least she doesnt mind when i smoke by the fire at night.
    I will say my wife actually did buy me one of my first premium cigars. Just my girlfriend at the time but I had to marry her after that lol.
    madurofan:
    I will say my wife actually did buy me one of my first premium cigars. Just my girlfriend at the time but I had to marry her after that lol.
    i didnt smoke cigars at the time i asked her to marry me. i woulda still married her but im not so sure about the other way around.
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    i didnt smoke cigars at the time i asked her to marry me. i woulda still married her but im not so sure about the other way around.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • The only rule is "smoke outside" My wife is happy that I enjoy something as much as cigars. Often, she joins me outside when I smoke and can tell when my cigar is "quality" by the smell.
    Now, I've seduced my sons-in-law into cigar smoking and gave them each a humidor for Christmas. My daughters weren't thrilled but they love that we're all together enjoying each others company.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    TDH, you have a distinct advantage based on your location. While it seems like a common response that most of us have to take it outside, you do not have to deal with months of freezing weather. Have you ever experienced the joys of a midwestern winter ( chicago). Brutal.
  • mikalsanmikalsan Posts: 53
    kaspera79:
    TDH, you have a distinct advantage based on your location. While it seems like a common response that most of us have to take it outside, you do not have to deal with months of freezing weather. Have you ever experienced the joys of a midwestern winter ( chicago). Brutal.

My wife is not crazy about me smoking around her either, however she thinks if I am going to do it, I should get a wicked cool humidor and smoke the greatest cigars ever made, so good on her there.

As for locations being a distinct advantage, my permanent residence is currently Hawaii (when i get back from Iraq), and on the Windward side of the Island, I get annoyed with the wind when smoking. The Golf Course too. I have learned to deal with it though..... I went out and found a box of cigars that dont mind the wind.
    CAO Black "LTD" Frontiers. Any one have an idea for fuller flavored stick that will with stand up to windy days? (It has to be a 6" or longer stick too)
  • I AM a wife of an infrequent cigar smoker.

It usually doesn't bother me, however I don't like the health impact on any smoker (Although I am a critical care nurse... so that plays into it I am sure!). I have to admit I have actually read reviews and purchased some singles for my hubby though, so as long as it isn't a routine habit I think it is an ok social OUTSIDE activity to share with friends of co-workers.

I don't mind being around him when he's smoking, but I once got a large puff of smoke in my face and it took my breath away... Ugh. I WILL NOT be smoking anytime soon, but hey, He can make his own decisions. If I hated it sooo much, I am sure he'd consider that, but I don't so I'm not making him stop.

tanya_lolly:

I AM a wife of an infrequent cigar smoker.

...however I don't like the health impact on any smoker

hmmmm....
    http://www.stogiefresh.com/journal/Cigar_Journal/Cigar_Science/Entries/2007/12/3_Second_Hand_Smoke_and_Health.html

I hate html.