Home Non Cigar Related

Headed home for the last time...

DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
I regret to inform you gentlemen that I am leaving my duty in Qatar. I will be handing over the reigns of the DCCC to Bip (Morgan) in the next two weeks. I will still be running controlling fundraisers, and raising money for the DCCC and trying to get it turned into a legit not for profit. I will not be running anywhere for a while, I have a tear in my ankle and they are sending me home for surgery. I have debated with the decision to stay and risk more and permanent damage, or go home earlier than I wanted to. I have come to the conclusion that staying here is in no way, shape, or form good for my ankle. If I stayed I'd be on crutches for the next 5.5 months and that is inconceivable. A cane doesn't mitigate enough weight. My wife doesn't understand why it took me so long to debate the decision. The number one reason I made the decision was my health. A close #2 was the fact that my 1SG decided he wanted to question my integrity and lump me in with the @ssholes who are TRYING to get out of this deployment using bogus medical excuses. Unfortunately mine is legitimate. This does mean I will get to start another DCCC chapter though (just looking for that silver lining)!

Comments

• skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    That sucks about your ankle, but look at the bright side...at least you'll be going home to be with your family!
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    I see 1st shirts haven't changed through the years, always thinking everybody is a lazy gold diggin s.o.b. You are doing the right thing RC get it fixed now before it causes you real problems. Besides you have done your time there with honor so go home get it fixed and recuperate with that lovely family of yours.
  • drpepperdudedrpepperdude Posts: 298
    you have a PM, sir. (DSWarmack)

• JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Get home and get healthy, that's the important thing. It was a pleasure to meet and smoke with you on this side of the pond and I look forward to doing so stateside as well.
    Light 'em up.
  • RCCCigarRCCCigar Posts: 106
    We ALMOST got to meet. Maybe we will be able to actually meet sometime. Thanks for all of the advice and I'm sorry to hear that you have to leave! Take care!
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sorry to hear about your injury, but you're doing the right thing. Friend of mine decided to "tough it out", run on that ankle of his, many years ago. Gets "a check", but can't walk much. Just not worth it. Maybe your First Sergeant is just disappointed to lose a good man. Or, maybe he's just an ***. Either way, thanks to you for your service!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I hate to hear about your injury. I will pray for you bro. You have to do the right thing for you and your family and get it fixed now.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Wow man I'll be praying for you and the family.
    Hope things are not permanently damaged

• ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    That sucks brother but f what the first sgt thinks, you are making the best decision for you and if you don't nobody will and he made that quite obvious. So don't worry about it, good luck with the surgery and keep us updated on how you're doing.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    You can't rock kids on your knees when your ankle doesn't work. Good luck!
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Hey DS. Sorry to hear about the ankle, but you have to do what's best for you. Better to go home and get surgery done than to spend around 6 months on crutches or a wheelchair just to make Top happy. I'll be praying for you. Hope you get well soon.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Hope everything works out for you.
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    RCCCigar:
    We ALMOST got to meet. Maybe we will be able to actually meet sometime. Thanks for all of the advice and I'm sorry to hear that you have to leave! Take care!

You never know I might get routed through Balad again!

EVERYONE ELSE: You don't know how much that means to me. I am a career soldier and do not take decisions like this lightly. You can ask Bip, this was probably the most difficult decision I've made in ears and it is nice to have support coming in from somewhere if not from my 1SG! I appreciate all the well wishes and prayers, they always help. Hopefully I will be home and recuoped enough to make a few HERFS by the end of the year. As for JC I am definately looking forward to a few stateside HERFs with you. And just remember, none of you are safe I am taking my collection with me!
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Get better, bro. Rest that ankle and f**k that white shirt. I'm also in a field where injuries play a factor in performance and anyone who uses time off to heal is considered a "dog" a "scammer" or a "medical abuser" by the higher-ups. I went Injured-on-Duty three times in my 11 yr career for legit injuries (once for a broken elbow sustained during a foot chase... the other for a sprained ankle stepping into a pot hole.... and the last for a broken toe dropping some heavy equipment on it) I may be clumsy, but I'm no faker.

Safe home and thank you for your service.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    My friend, take care of your self, stay in contact. And you already know the deal with me. Will see you soon.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take care of yourself and your family first! Thanks for your service and stay safe.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Amos Umwhat:
    Very sorry to hear about your injury, but you're doing the right thing. Friend of mine decided to "tough it out", run on that ankle of his, many years ago. Gets "a check", but can't walk much. Just not worth it. Maybe your First Sergeant is just disappointed to lose a good man. Or, maybe he's just an ***. Either way, thanks to you for your service!
    Couldn't have said it better. Remember Man, sometimes you need to take care of yourself before you can take care of everyone else to the best of your ability. So get well brother and enjoy spending the time with your family, especially the new twins.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear about the health problems and I'm very sorry you are having to leave under circumstances you aren't happy with. I am however glad you're putting your health first and will be back with your family soon. Have a safe trip home and thank you for your service! It means more to many of us than you know.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    skweekz:
    That sucks about your ankle, but look at the bright side...at least you'll be going home to be with your family!
    +1. Regret to inform us my @ss - get home and play with them babies my brother!!! :-)

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    As long as you know the right of it, that's all that matters. There are people out there that are so close minded that they're going to think what they're going to think no matter what. You can't change that. Thanks for your service, glad your coming home.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Sorry to hear it, but enjoy the family time.
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    There's no shame in taking care of your body. When everything is all over you will know that you did the right thing. I wish you safe travels home.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    DSWarmack:
    RCCCigar:

You never know I might get routed through Balad again!

EVERYONE ELSE: You don't know how much that means to me. I am a career soldier and do not take decisions like this lightly. You can ask Bip, this was probably the most difficult decision I've made in ears and it is nice to have support coming in from somewhere if not from my 1SG! I appreciate all the well wishes and prayers, they always help. Hopefully I will be home and recuoped enough to make a few HERFS by the end of the year. As for JC I am definately looking forward to a few stateside HERFs with you. And just remember, none of you are safe I am taking my collection with me!
    Dude, *** that ***. I destroyed my leg because of not wanting to be thought of as a pogue or shammer, jumped on it before it was fully healed from the first time I broke it jumping. That resulted in me developing arthritis in that leg, along with it being a little shorter. The change in its length has concurrently screwed my ankle, knee, and hip. the docs say that as long as I don't do anything where I am on feet too much after I retire, I should be okay, just have to cope with the pain. Take it from me bro, also a career soldier, you are doing the right thing. *** your 1SG, I **** hate that kind of ***, tell him he can suck MY ***.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Oh, and you've got a PM...