Home General Discussion

Tasting

I had a different experience the other evening. It turned out to be a great way to learn the differences in cigars in the same body profile.

It was an Ashton event, "Portrait of Taste" We lit 3 cigars selected by Ashton in the same profile and smoked them at the same time (well you get the idea, all three lit and you rotate through them by each draw)

It really helped me detect differences in flavor from each cigar and then hone in on the one I enjoyed the most. Most of the time we all smoke one type one day and different one on a different day (or separated by some amount of time) While it could get expensive, I think lighting up 2-3 at once might be the best way to learn the "trade"

Has anyone else done this?

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Went to the same event last month. Yes, How often can you make comparisons like this? Three at once? What fun. Great experience. I have thought about having a smoke in with 5- 6 friends all smoking different sticks. They would have to be close.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Davidoff does a tasting event as well. it isnt quite what you explained here but it has the same kind of concept. you are handed 4 cigars at the davidoff event. the first three are each an element in a blend. the last one is the blend. its kinda cool. im gunna see if i can get to one of those events.

the other way that really helped me understand cigars better is keeping a catalog. just take notes on the cigars you smoke. there is something about putting it in writing that forces you to really think about it.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    kuzi16:
    Davidoff does a tasting event as well. it isnt quite what you explained here but it has the same kind of concept. you are handed 4 cigars at the davidoff event. the first three are each an element in a blend. the last one is the blend. its kinda cool. im gunna see if i can get to one of those events.

the other way that really helped me understand cigars better is keeping a catalog. just take notes on the cigars you smoke. there is something about putting it in writing that forces you to really think about it.
    I'm not one to take notes when I smoke but I will say that this has helped me out when I play the mystery cigar game. I was able to find out different tastes and then compare them to cigars that I had previously had. I don't typically like to take notes while smoking because I write for a living (or at least the better part of my work is writing).
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i can respect that.
    i dont think i would do reviews then either
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've found that when I take notes two things happen: 1) I pay much more attention to the cigar and can do a reasonable job of picking out flavors and nuances, and 2) I don't enjoy the cigar nearly as much as I would otherwise because I'm too busy analyzing it. I'd rather enjoy the cigar than understand it, so I prefer not to take notes. It works better for me that way.
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    I tried the note thing, sorta. I usually go to the bar and smoke after work then tried to go home and write what I thought about the cigar down. This didn't work very well, as I seemed to always have something else to do right when I get home. HHHMMM maybe I could recruit someone from the "daily hottie" to follow me around and be my note taker??