Home General Discussion

Pricing...

I never understood how some places sell single cigars so expensive and also have samplers or other packages at way lower prices. I understand the whole sale or sampler concept but take the Gurhka Centurian for example. Individually, i've seen it as high as $30 a stick. I just keep an eye out and found a Mazo of 6 for $24. I jumped on the deal and enjoyed a stick after breakfast yesterday. I think my wife would kill me if i spent $30 on one smoke.

Comments

• DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    There are numerous sticks like this another example of this is Camacho PE....lots of high priced sticks readily available at big "discounts"...
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Internet exclusives... retailers can price them however they want. Profit margin at 30$ a stick for the Centurian is pretty massive, given that they can afford to discount them to 4$/each... Not to be a ***, but transparency in this industry is not as common as it should be...
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Pretty normal marketing though, at least in the last 10 years. Its a "loss leader," something you're going to let go of at a loss in the hopes of making profits on everything you add-on and up-sell. In the case of internet/mail order, you get the address to send advertising to as well. Nothing suspicious there, just good marketing.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    Not to be a ***, but transparency in this industry is not as common as it should be...
    Amen brother, if not transparency at least some openness.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Vulchor:
    docbp87:
    Not to be a ***, but transparency in this industry is not as common as it should be...
    But on the upside price fixing is.
    Wait....

• blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    Vulchor:
    docbp87:
    Wait....

Thats funny. I think this is one of those things that Gurkha is known most for, and why I won't smoke any gurks. They set the MSRP at a super high unreasonable price, like 20 or 30 bucks, even though the smoke is truly a 5 to 6 dollar smoke. So for a few years or mnths whoever pays that exorbitant price is just more profit margin for them. Then they "discount" the cigar down to a reasonable 5 dollar and sell the rest of the stock. If that stick was 5 bucks orginally it may have been a huge hit, but they can make more profit by pushing it as an "uber-premium" to see who falls for it. Thats just my take on Gurkhas overall strategy. Not all gurkhas, but the ones I've tried.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Lol, nice idea bro------here I just thought Gurkhas overall stragedy was to make super average to super sub par sticks....all the time;)
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    blurr:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Vulchor:
    docbp87:
    Wait....

Thats funny. I think this is one of those things that Gurkha is known most for, and why I won't smoke any gurks. They set the MSRP at a super high unreasonable price, like 20 or 30 bucks, even though the smoke is truly a 5 to 6 dollar smoke. So for a few years or mnths whoever pays that exorbitant price is just more profit margin for them. Then they "discount" the cigar down to a reasonable 5 dollar and sell the rest of the stock. If that stick was 5 bucks orginally it may have been a huge hit, but they can make more profit by pushing it as an "uber-premium" to see who falls for it. Thats just my take on Gurkhas overall strategy. Not all gurkhas, but the ones I've tried.
    See, the constant claims of "Super rare tobacco", from a "secret" source, of the highest quality, etc. etc., with no info to back it up... just reeks of B.S. to me. When Pepin has a high priced cigar, but I can actually read the percentages of different tobaccos in the blend (and especially when part of the blend is Pelo de Oro, which actually IS rare, hard to grow, etc.), when the pricing, and marketing take on meaning, and become justified.

Just because Kaizad puts crappy, underfermented, poorly rolled cigars, with pedestrian tobacco from a sub-par growing region in a box that looks like an antique chest of Spanish gold... Yeah, that doesn't make a cigar worth 20$ a piece, or even make it worth smoking. It makes it worth questioning, and after being disappointed by a bunch of them, it makes his brand questionable as a whole.