Home General Discussion

New San Lotano Oval

docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
Ganked from Charlie at The Cigar Feed...

So what's the word Alex? Habano 2000 wrapper, Nicaraguan filler, fancy black band... seems to be the only info out there. We know you are in with AJ, what's up!

Comments

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Oooo, Habano 2000 wrapper you say? I do love some Regent and some Exodus Gold, this looks like a must-try for me.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Sweeeeet. Another must-try for me.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that it's a perfecto or figurado shape of some sort.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    Ganked from Charlie at The Cigar Feed...

So what's the word Alex? Habano 2000 wrapper, Nicaraguan filler, fancy black band... seems to be the only info out there. We know you are in with AJ, what's up!
    It's a limited run of I believe between 10,000 and 15,000 boxes. The reference is to the shape. It is not box pressed but not round. That said it is not a figurado as it has the same circumference the length of the cigar. So it is an oval as you look at the foot. Hope that makes sense. For the blend, it is still being finalized. There have been about 5 iterations AJ has worked with ranging from Brazilian Habano Wrapper to Habano Ecuador. When I saw him last week and asked him if he had finished he told me he thought so but would not have anything for me to smoke for at least a month. To me that meant he had the blend nailed and was waiting on a certain variety from one of the crops to finish fermenting. If that is the case, I would believe the tobacco to be a very rare and special leaf from Honduras. It is a new region that had never been planted before which was planted by Nicaprosa (Oliva Tampa). AJ bought the entire harvest and has an exclusive on it I believe because if his commitment. I saw these leaves last week and they were awsome. I filmed them too so if I can I will post that. It has a very similar quality to Jamastran but thicker and more potent. The yield has wrapper, fier and binder. Not sure if this will be part of the new blend but my hunch is yes. Either way, I will be with AJ again in 3 weeks and these should be ready to smoke. I will report back!
    And yes, it dies have that H2000 wrapper, not sure where it is grown. I will call AJ today.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Awesome, really excited about this one, thanks for the info Alex!
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    Awesome, really excited about this one, thanks for the info Alex!

+1 to that! Can't wait to try this one out!
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Agreed. Thanks for the info dude. Sounds great.
    I just spke to AJ. The wrapper is h2000 grown in Ecuador. It is top ligero priming which he has just enough of to jive with the limited release qty. So think ruination wrapper but darker and stronger. He is also using some of that special Honduras stuff from the new region in the filler. Aside from the honduran filler which is still pretty new, all other tobaccos are at least 4 years old and some up to 7 years aged. He says the cigar is made from a lot of his favorite tobaccos from vintage years and he is very excited about it. They will debut at the trades is this summer and roll out to retail in Q3 or Q4. No word on pricing but I was told it won't be crazy. Maybe $10 to $14. Boxes will be 30 cigars to a box and each box will be numbered and plated and made entirely by hand using some rare and expensive hard woods, all naturally colored and varnished. That with this new shape which is an industry first should make this an interesting smoke. I hope to burn one in a few weeks and will keep you guys posted!
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully I'll get a box in time for Xmas!
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
    Alex Svenson:
    I just spke to AJ. The wrapper is h2000 grown in Ecuador. It is top ligero priming which he has just enough of to jive with the limited release qty. So think ruination wrapper but darker and stronger. He is also using some of that special Honduras stuff from the new region in the filler. Aside from the honduran filler which is still pretty new, all other tobaccos are at least 4 years old and some up to 7 years aged. He says the cigar is made from a lot of his favorite tobaccos from vintage years and he is very excited about it. They will debut at the trades is this summer and roll out to retail in Q3 or Q4. No word on pricing but I was told it won't be crazy. Maybe $10 to $14. Boxes will be 30 cigars to a box and each box will be numbered and plated and made entirely by hand using some rare and expensive hard woods, all naturally colored and varnished. That with this new shape which is an industry first should make this an interesting smoke. I hope to burn one in a few weeks and will keep you guys posted!
    Awesome. Looking forward to it. I know Fuente once auctioned off a cigar in this shape (at least from the description, it sounds the same as the Opus Elliptical X), but as far as I know, this has never been a production shape by anyone. Should be awesome.
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    One more thing to keep in mind while budgeting the cigar moneys. Thanks for the info Alex.
  • Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really enjoy all of the San Lotano line I can't wait to try this one.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    oh snap.

need to get one...

• Alex Svenson:
    will ccom have some boxes?
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    druel, oh my
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Christian_Sapp:
    Alex Svenson:

I'm guessing they won't be available online, as with the case with the current San Lotano selection. E-mail Tim, he'll hook you up. I plan on getting a box myself as soon as they're available.
    Christian_Sapp:
    Alex Svenson:
    Yes we will have access to them but unfortunately per the rules of the manufacturer will not be able to sell them or advertise them online.When they come in, you will need to contact one of our cigar consultants for details.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Not that everyone or even many will agree with me but while I am sure it is a great cigar $14 is "crazy" to me. :-)
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I gotta stop reading these forums. Ignorance is good for my wallet; knowledge, not so much
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    dowjr1:
    Not that everyone or even many will agree with me but while I am sure it is a great cigar $14 is "crazy" to me. :-)
    I agree, especially for a box of 30. If the low end is the box price, that's a $300 box...kinda steep for my budget.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    Ken Light:
    dowjr1:
    I agree, especially for a box of 30. If the low end is the box price, that's a $300 box...kinda steep for my budget.
    So buy the regular San Lotano. Not everything can be a budget cigar.
    docbp87:
    Ken Light:
    dowjr1:
    I wasn't griping about the price...obviously not everything can be a budget cigar, and knowing AJ this one will be well worth the price tag. I was just disagreeing about the price being "not crazy," which I think dowjr and I both understood to mean "not high." It's not Armada high, but it's up there, and will be his second-most expensive cigar if I'm not mistaken.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Ken Light:
    docbp87:
    Ken Light:
    dowjr1:
    I wasn't griping about the price...obviously not everything can be a budget cigar, and knowing AJ this one will be well worth the price tag. I was just disagreeing about the price being "not crazy," which I think dowjr and I both understood to mean "not high." It's not Armada high, but it's up there, and will be his second-most expensive cigar if I'm not mistaken.
    So I'm with you regaring budgeting, Ken, with this being out of my price range. But in terms of being not Crazy I would agree with Alex here. I read his comment as the cigar will be a higher priced offering but not crazy high, like Anejos, Opus X, GOF, the higher Padrons, or even the Armada. Thats all. $14 is high. but $25 is crazy high, ya kno? So, from from what it sounds like, the oval is gonna be a super premium, but not priced crazy high.
    Ken Light:
    dowjr1:
    Maybe the $10-$14 is for a single? If so, a box may go for $150-$200 if we're lucky; but then again, the fact the boxes are made from rare/exotic woods, probably means the price is gonna be higher.

First the MOW Armada comes out for $500/box and limited to 10k boxes/yr but the box is it's own humidor, then San Lotano is released as a B&M-only brand, and now this Oval, in an exotic woods box and another limited release.

Anyone else think AJ is trying to position himself as a "super-premium" blender with all these limited release/exotic boxes?

xmacro:
    Ken Light:
    dowjr1:
    Maybe the $10-$14 is for a single? If so, a box may go for $150-$200 if we're lucky; but then again, the fact the boxes are made from rare/exotic woods, probably means the price is gonna be higher.

First the MOW Armada comes out for $500/box and limited to 10k boxes/yr but the box is it's own humidor, then San Lotano is released as a B&M-only brand, and now this Oval, in an exotic woods box and another limited release.

Anyone else think AJ is trying to position himself as a "super-premium" blender with all these limited release/exotic boxes?

I wasn't going to go there, but since you did, I was wondering if maybe some Gurkha boxes fell off a truck...
    Before catch epic hell for that last comment I have to say quickly that I'm just having a little fun here. AJ's blends make up about 75% of my humidor and I don't see that changing any time soon.

I do like the rustic look of his boxes right now and I like that his cigars are budget friendly as well as being awesome, but if either or both of those change I'll still completely support him and his blends should they maintain their current quality.
    Yeah, I like AJ too; Diesel and MOW Virtue/Armada are my top 3, but lately it seems he's been going the super-premium route. I'm wondering if Alex or anyone can tell me if he's moving all his stuff upstream, or is he just expanding and is still gonna blend some budget sticks?

What I mean is, is he gonna go the Davidoff route and only do super-premiums from now on, or is he gonna go Camacho, and release both super-premium and budget sticks?

• RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Yeah, I like AJ too; Diesel and MOW Virtue/Armada are my top 3, but lately it seems he's been going the super-premium route. I'm wondering if Alex or anyone can tell me if he's moving all his stuff upstream, or is he just expanding and is still gonna blend some budget sticks?

What I mean is, is he gonna go the Davidoff route and only do super-premiums from now on, or is he gonna go Camacho, and release both super-premium and budget sticks?

+1

If this is the case, I'm in. I find that I enjoy AJ style of blending also. The corona sampler got me hooked. There was only one in the sampler that I wasn't to particular about. With that said, if he is going the route of my favorite brand and company(Camacho). Then he's got me. I like the choice of having a brand that can produce a buget friendly cigar up to a Super Premium that I will buy. Example, Camacho Corojo is a little over 4 dollars, triple maduro 12 dollars and for that special day or event a Camacho PE. Love them all yet, I find myself reaching for a MOW Puro Authentico more than anything lately along with a MOW Ruination. So, it would be a good thing to see him go down that road. That's providing for the masses my friends and you can't go wrong there.......
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Man...so around 300 for a box of 30? If that's the case, maybe a box split would be most appropriate for my next order.