Home General Discussion

New Equipment for the house...

DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
Since I am going home and will be taking my personal cigar collection with me, I will need somewhere to store them.

I have an office and would like to keep them in there. While the cool-a-dor works fine, I cannot see it fitting in with my furniture in the office. I am looking at getting a wine-a-dor.

I'd like some feedback from you guys:

What size would you go with?

Who make shelves that are the best value for the money?

Is there any one brand that sticks out in your mind for the humidity and temp control?

I found two different models that I like with good prices Here and Here. I am thinking it might just be easier to go with one that someone made shelves for already because they will have the templates already made and it will be less time consuming (read: Cheaper). Any feedback on this subject is much appreciated. If you know of a place with similar prices on different models let me know that also.

-rc

Comments

• amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    If you have a Costco membership check them out. I saw some in there the other day when I was walking around but I'm not exactly sure of what brand, size or price. If you want I can check for you next time I'm in there.
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    Ill look online and see what they have. I don't know if the wife still has a costco membership or not. i will not be visiting a store within 2 weeks for sure, seeing as how I still haven't left this country!
  • BlueRingsBlueRings Posts: 367
    disregard
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Whichever you get, DO NOT get a compressor model - it NEEDS to be thermoelectric. Other than that, just do your homework; some models have a record for failure within a year (but then again, those same models get rave reviews from others - just depends who you ask). Edgstar and Vinotemp are the two most popular, but even those have their lemons; seems to be luck of the draw sometimes.

Do your homework and read reviews - good luck!!

I'll PM you about shelves; but on average, they seem to run around $20 per shelf, so you may wanna buy them, or just do it yourself if you're handy
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Yeah I don't have any first hand knowledge of these, but I do know that there are a few threads on here that have come up since i've been a member. So poke around the forums a bit to see what people have done because a few of them we're pretty nice. . .

Also I think Ccom had a small stash (3) of these or something similar that they sold around christmas. I think these we're cigar specific cabinets though, but they had the look of a nicely done up wine-ador. A thread was started by Alex about these and 3 forum members bought them, I think, and there we're a decent amount of pictures put up. So worst case scenario you get some ideas, and best case scenario your emailing Alex to get you one, hahaha, or is that the worst case scenario? I can't tell anymore. I have no clue on pricing or size though man, but I guess that would be a good thing to check out.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Those were somewhere between $1200-1500 I believe.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I have the one from cigar.com. My biggest complaint is that I can't control the humidity as well as I would like. Most of this has to do with humidity being too high. PLus the guage isn't accurate (I don't think). I have 4 separate hygros in there. The built-in one will say 85% while the others will say 70 - 72ish. Recently I have been leaving the cabinet open with my dehumidifier going in the room. I would have to get beetles when almost all of my stash is in there.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    alienmisprint:
    Those were somewhere between $1200-1500 I believe.
    IIRC, they went for around $1400 - $1600, and that was a discount available only for those 3 - normal price was supposed to be around $2,000 when they started stocking them

EDIT - found the thread: http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/241571.aspx