Home General Discussion
Options

Demographics and cigars... random musings...

Hello everybody! I've checked out a few threads on the Cigar.com forums before but never really posted, however, I was out on the porch enjoying a morning cigar (trying out the box-pressed Nub cameroon torpedo) and two thoughts crossed my mind, so I figured I'd come ask you guys out of curiosity.

Out of curiousity, how many other cigar smokers are there in the CCOM community that are on the younger side of the age spectrum? I commented on a Hoyo de Monterry box-turned-tote that a mid-40-something woman shopping where I work was carrying, trying to start some friendly small talk, only to have her turn her nose up at me and make a "hmpf" noise that gave me a "what could this kid possibly know about cigars?" kind of feeling. Have any of you had experiences like this? I'm relatively young for a cigar smoker at the ripe ol' age of 21, but I know Alex's bio says he smoked his first premium at 14, that one guy CCOM interviewed from Gran Habano not too long ago (forget his name) is on the lower end of the age spectrum, and Tim is relatively young at 28, so it's not like there aren't younger cigar enthusiasts/aficionados out there that have an appreciation for and know what they're talking about when it comes to cigars.

My second musing was related to the age-old question that I see repeated so many times on CCOM and other cigar sites: how to convince members of the female persuasion (usually spouses, girlfriends and the like) to open up to the world of cigars, and possibly even partake of it. One of the things I thought of was trying to come up with a set of cigars that would be more appealing to the female gender. Obvious guesses include anything from the CAO Flavours line, probably at least one or two Drew Estate lines and various cigars sporting a Connecticut wrapper. Has anyone else had any theories on this, or tested them with any success?

[Edited for length.]

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im 27. smoking premiums for a bit over 3 years now.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    There is a brand called Heavenly which is all flavored cigars. Peach Grape Rum Orange Cherry Vanilla I mean everything possible. The owner/creator of these smokes is a women and these are marketed towards women. Although I am sure guys have tried them and enjoy them. Someone once gave me a sampler of several flavors and they were okay long fill but just not my thing. The wrapper held a constant taste of the featured flavor, and an above average construcion and burn. I remember them being pretty mild and perhaps something that may be more appealing to women. They also come in two small sizes a petite corona and something like a cigarello, so that may be another selling point.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    got, I'm 25 have been smoking premium cigars for about 4 years now and thankfully have not run into too many people that had an issue with my age. The only thing I have noticed is that an older person making a recommendation to me always recommends a milder cigar, a "beginners" cigar. I prefer medium-full bodied cigars with that extra spice so that can get annoying. As far as the fairer sex my wife has tried a baccarat and a few acids but I've had little success with that. She is one of those rare breeds than can just smoke a couple of cigarettes from time to time without being addicted so whenever she wants to sit out with me while I have a cigar she smokes cigarettes.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    There are a lot of younger people in the forum around your age range. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them, but anyway there was another thread posted that addresed this topic as well. I'll see if I can find it for you.

As for the fairer sex, I don't have much advice but Acids might be worth a try. The Cold Infusion Tea is supposed to smell like pine and taste like peach pie. I haven't tried it yet so I can't say for sure but thats what I heard.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    What a waste of premium tobacco though. Drew Estate uses very high end tobacco and then makes it smell like pine and taste like peach pie? Maybe I'm a snob, I'lll shut up now.
  • Options
    phishermanphisherman Posts: 79
    Hi Gotts; Wlecome to the boards.
    I think you will find that the members here run the spectrum from just starting out and in college up to retired and chasing grandkids around. Most of the guys here are in their twenties to thirties; but here age doesn't make a difference. This is not a place for cigar snobs or internet trolls. Just guys who want to enjoy cigars and share the experience and maybe teach others what they know. I myself started smoking cigars at about 18 but didn't really get into them until 28. I am 31 now with a wife and kids so whne I have the time to sit back and enjoy a cigar it is a real treat. I look forward to talking with you more. Welcome to Cigar.com

-Dave
  • Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome! Honestly, for some reason I didn't expect the CCOM community to be like that, especially if Tim & Donny's antics on CCOM Video are anything to go by. If I had I probably never would have posted. The reason for the aforementioned trend is probably just the area. Town full of yuppie socialite wannabes + hobby with a large potential snooty factor = not good for people like me.

Ironically, a board for a topic with a very large potential snooty-factor turns out to be one of the few places on the internet where this does not seem to apply.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the difference here is two fold:
    1) we are not in competition
    B) we are not anonymous.
    we all just want information that is fun and relaxing. Being nice is the easy way to get it. Since we are so nice, we become friends, even if it is just on line.