Home Cigar 101
Options

Bead question

So here with another question for everyone.  I'm having success with the new humi thus far.  It seems to be seasoning nicely and is creating a good seal.  I'm having a helluva time trying to get the supplied humidifier to stick to the top of the humi.  I was thinking about going the bead route.  I was doing some research and found that the beads that heartfelt sells are not specifically designed for humidor use.  They are simply a polymer bead designed to soak up and release water keeping the moisture between the beads and the environment the same.  I guess my question is has anyone experiemented with any other brand of polymer beads.  I found a moisture control bead.  Its made by a company by the name of watersorb.  (www.watersorb.com)  The price is much better then heartfelt.  For 19.95 you get 2lb's of the watersorb.   Any insight or opinions?  Thanks again!!!

Comments

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I am not going to bash beads because i've never tried them but i have 2 humis a 50 and a 100-"ish" both running on gel crystals. 1 2 oz jar in the 50 and 3oz rectangle in the 100, i've never ever had a problem with either. I alternate refilling with 50/50 and then 3 months later just distilled. Just my .02 cents
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i dont know the other brands.

but if you wanna go even cheaper than that you can go with kitty litter. i cant remember off the top of my head what brand it is and you have to "train " the litter, but it works.

and just because heartfelt didnt specifically design the beads to work in a humidor does not mean that it doesnt work in one. Ive used their beads for years. never once had a problem.

the watersorb crystals that you mentioned are not only not specifically designed for a humidor but are also not even advertised as being able to hold a very specific RH. there was no mention (that i could find) of them holding a 70% humidity or a 65% humidity.
    they seem to be used for agricultural purposes, mainly to prevent water loss and waste watering.
  • Options
    I wasn't trying to knock the advice that you gave me.  I was just doing research on beads and that was one of the things that I read somewhere else on the internet.  I was just curious if anyone had any other experience.  I appreciate all the knowledge and help i've received from this forum. 
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i didnt htink you were. i was just telling my view in as few words as i could.

its very hard to discern intent on a forum.

take it with a grain of salt
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    oooh flame wars! lol.. I have used the heartfelt beads for some time and they seem to work wonders..