Home Non Cigar Related

Being "asked" to show your receipt

I thought this had been discussed here before, but couldn't find it. Just curious how you guys handle being prompted to show your receipt when leaving walmart/best buy/etc. I always refuse on principle. Twice it has been a big deal, one of them today.

I was supposed to be off work today, but we were way busier last night than expected at the hotel. I came in today to do inventory, then went to walmart to pick up some produce and other stuff we couldn't wait for in tomorrow's deliveries. I had to make 4 purchases, to keep the totals on each below the $50 petty cash limit, and had already put the receipts in my pocket. There was a line of several people waiting to have their receipts checked, so I just walked past as I usually do. As I get to the doors, I hear the woman yell "Sir, I need to see your receipt." I ignored it and continued to my car. As I open my trunk a large male employee approaches me and demands to see my receipt. I state "I am under no legal obligation to show you my receipt. Once these items are paid for they are my property." We argue for 5-10 minutes, with him preventing me from loading my items into my car. At one point when I ask him to call the police so they can inform him of the laws, he says "I can show you my badge" and later "I don't have to call the police, I am one". Eventually he tells me to put my things in the car and leave, saying that next time I come to the store, he'll make sure this is "handled the right way", in a threatening manner.

Once everything was put away at the restaurant and I had an hour to kill, I went back to the store to speak with the GM. He was almost as belligerent as the guy that followed me to the car. He just kept repeating that they have the right to ask to see a receipt. I replied, "and I have the right to not show it to you". He said that I was asking for special treatment, and that if they didn’t check my receipt the other customers would think it’s because I’m white (not his words, but clearly his intention). I said “I’m not asking for special treatment, I understand that you have the right to ask for my receipt, but I have the right to decline and the right to not be harassed when I do”. I called the district manager, who was not in, to report the incidents.

Anyone else refuse to show your receipt out of principle? Ever have problems?

Comments

• I've found that we're all socialized to submit to any semblance of authority. Personally, I like to violate norms and push the envelope of what people are willing to do. I'm constantly refusing to show my reciept. I'm usually not harrassed about it because I don't argue. It's just a matter of convincing the asker that you're the one in charge, not him. looks like you got a cop, which is a pain. a good percentage of cops don't know how to turn off their a-hole persona. personally, if he didn't allow me to get into my vehicle, I would have called 911 right there. not that I'm intimidatable, but the last thing he wants is to have a report filed against him for assault (making you fear for your safety). I've been trying to convince m buddy to wait at the entrance of wal mart while I run from the sporting goods section in the back to his car outside with a couple boxes of ammo. I still can't convince him that it would be fun.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty much a Libertarian, and thats total B effin S. You are right, once you pay for your items they are your property. What does showing the the reciept do anyway. Say you have 100 things in your cart, they glance at your cart, glance at the reciept and mark it with a highlighter. WTF does that accomplish? Or do you go to the walmart where in the 50 or so feet between the register and exit you have to pass through the electronics, automotive and alcohol section? Next time that a$$hole tells you he is a cop, ask to see his badge, if he cant produce or he's a "security" gaurd(dont get me started on those worthless pr!cks)...OWNED impersonating a police officer. You may have violated a "store policy" but did not violate the law. People cant seem to distinguish between the two. Next time you go, pay all in pennies, big friggin ziplock bags full of them. Or dont show your reciept, load your car and go, just ignore them when they yell at you, that really p!sses people off because in the end...what can he do to you? If he touches you, you own him. Geez, i've nevver gotten this p!ssed off reading someones post in a while!
  • Comes from being a military man. It makes it hard to take bullshit from someone you don't respect.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ive made a scene before. "are you calling me a thief!?" and the like. its worked fairly well actually, but usually im just like, "no thanks..." and keep walkin.

the only time it was ever a REAL issue for me was when i was a bit younger and i didnt buy anything at a Guitar Center. I was having my guitar fixed (before i was into doing it myself) and had pre-paid the previous day. I was walking out with MY guitar that was never at any point in its life theirs when they asked to see my receipt.
    I didnt have one on me because i paid the day before. I kept telling them that it was in fact my guitar but they wouldnt let me leave.

after about 10 minutes my friend who worked their confirmed my story... i mean he was the guy that let me have my guitar back in the first place.

i avoid this situation now as much as i can. I shop online a lot and in smaller stores that know what you purchased and the door is less then 10 feet from the register.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Huh, I'd never given it much consideration. I don't do a whole lot of shopping, but I guess when I have gone to Sam's Club, I've shown my receipt when asked. I don't go to Wal-Mart. So I was curious to hear what the objections are to do this...why do you guys feel so strongly about it?
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Interestingly, Guitar Center is the one place I will consent to showing my receipt and opening my bag (aside from Costco, where it's a contractual obligation). I figure that they are cool enough to let hundreds of thousands of dollars sit out where anyone can pick it up and literally play with it, I'll let them look in my guitar case or check my receipt before I leave.

There was one other time, at a wal-mart in California, where the door lady actually laid hands on me and physically restrained me. I should have pressed charges, but was in a hurry to get to the gun range for an event. The manager in that case was very apologetic, and verbally reprimanded the employee in front of me, telling her that they can't do that. That was all I wanted in this situation, an apology and a promise to re-train the employee in the legalities and practicalities of handling such situations. Since I didn't get that, I'll be sure to elevate my complaint above the store manager's head.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I've never declined to show my receipt, but I've never had to stand in a line to do it, either. That might make a difference.
    Luko:
    Huh, I'd never given it much consideration. I don't do a whole lot of shopping, but I guess when I have gone to Sam's Club, I've shown my receipt when asked. I don't go to Wal-Mart. So I was curious to hear what the objections are to do this...why do you guys feel so strongly about it?
    Luko, at Sam's it's a litte different. The door check is part of the membership agreement, so you don't have as much freedom to blow them off. For me, the objection is pure principle. Sure it would be quicker to flash my receipt at the door than deal with an idiot like this, but once I have purchased an item it becomes my personal property. I'm not in the habit of letting strangers examine my personal property. I'm also not in the habit of giving up my rights in exchange for convenience.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    If I have my wife with me, who is a business person in our community, then I refrain from making a scene. If its a little 'ol elderly person I refrain from making a scene. I figure they have it tough enough anyways. BUT if its someone with a bad attitude or thinks too much of their little receipt checking self they may have a problem with me. I did make one little punk count the items on my list while I held it (refused to let him touch it) and then open every bag an count the items....told him I wanted to make sure I hadn't lost anything between the register and him. They have to make me ill by their actions though before I give them a real hassel...most in my area are elderly and I know they proably hate being there as much as it is annoying to have to show your receipt.
    All in all I kinda file it under the ' Don't sweat the small stuff" catagorie
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    gmill880:
    if its someone with a bad attitude or thinks too much of their little receipt checking self they may have a problem with me. I did make one little punk count the items on my list while I held it (refused to let him touch it) and then open every bag an count the items....told him I wanted to make sure I hadn't lost anything between the register and him. They have to make me ill by their actions though before I give them a real hassel...most in my area are elderly and I know they proably hate being there as much as it is annoying to have to show your receipt.

This is hilarious....I would be acting all innocent and stupid...and relieved to find out that I didn't lose anything.

you guys need to move to a small town. I don't shop at Wal-mart too often, infact, I avoid going there, but when I do, well, I can't remember being asked to see a receipt or check a bag...I just walk out. Maybe stopping a 280lb 6'1" guy is scary for an elderly person or some little punk in a small town.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    gmill880:
    All in all I kinda file it under the ' Don't sweat the small stuff" catagorie
    Bingo. Plus, like you said, unless the person was obnoxious about it, I'd feel bad about giving somebody with such a lousy job a hard time just for doing their lousy job. There, but for the grace of God, go I, and so forth.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Scrambler:
    I'm also not in the habit of giving up my rights in exchange for convenience.

"those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither"

It's principle. I'm with ya Scram.
    urbino:
    Bingo. Plus, like you said, unless the person was obnoxious about it, I'd feel bad about giving somebody with such a lousy job a hard time just for doing their lousy job.
    The way I see this is if they just let me go on my way, I'm not really causing them any grief. I'm not rude to them, I just politely decline.

If they are the kind of person to get worked up enough to yell, chase me down, or physically interfere with me, then they deserve the hassle.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    bangalohr:
    I've found that we're all socialized to submit to any semblance of authority. Personally, I like to violate norms and push the envelope of what people are willing to do. I'm constantly refusing to show my reciept. I'm usually not harrassed about it because I don't argue. It's just a matter of convincing the asker that you're the one in charge, not him. looks like you got a cop, which is a pain. a good percentage of cops don't know how to turn off their a-hole persona. personally, if he didn't allow me to get into my vehicle, I would have called 911 right there. not that I'm intimidatable, but the last thing he wants is to have a report filed against him for assault (making you fear for your safety). I've been trying to convince m buddy to wait at the entrance of wal mart while I run from the sporting goods section in the back to his car outside with a couple boxes of ammo. I still can't convince him that it would be fun.
    I agree, you shouldn't HAVE to show your receipt. I would keep walking and I'll be DAMNED if a Hell Mart employee is going to keep me from getting in my car!
    But I would like to make it clear that this guy was more than likely NOT a cop and most cops don't have an A-hole persona. A lot of people like that are "security" officers, and don't realize there is difference between being an actual Peace Officer and a flashlight jockey. Being a police officer is a tough job, you deal with good people at their worst and it's not always easy. It's not always an A-hole persona, it's distancing yourself from the emotional and mental stresses of the job. If a REAL officer seems like a cold, non-emotional a-hole, it really shouldn't be suprising. Would you want to have to take home the crap most officers see and deal with in a day? You have to learn to distance yourself from those things, from dealing with someone who may or may not be a shoplifter, to going to tell a mother and father that their 16 year old kid was just scraped off the highway... It's not easy...
    They may seem like a-holes at times but just once try to think about what their average day is like and maybe you will realize they aren't all bad guys, just guys doing a tough job. Well at least thats what I've been told... haha
    Of course there are PLENTY of a-holes and idiots with badges... But that happens in every job!
  • well i work part time as security for the mall and yes you are on private property and yes they do have right to stop anybody or everybody to see receipt. its not harassment but it is a little time consuming and annoying. so unless you want to be banned from that store just go ahead and show your receipt. kind of petty not too. they're doing their job so let them.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I'm with urbi but then again aside from Sams Club and Costco I've never had to have my receipt checked. If I did I might refuse.

Puro I'm glad you said what you did about cops and I agree with you. I've had the pleasure of being harrassed by a number of cops(comes with the territory of driving low-riders and cars that really aren't street legal). Many of them only want to do their job and not get killed by doing this they end having to be an @$$. I've been pulled over by one cop who asked both me and my wife(girlfriend at the time) to step out of the vehicle. I got out and informed him she wasn't getting out of the vehicle unless she was being charged with something. Which caused quite an ordeal while he called backup "to watch her". Nicely enough when the backup got there he was informed he had illegally stopped me. A crack in the windshield, is a secondary offense here in VA. He followed me all the way through the county.

However in another incident a cop hit me 77 in a 45, he came up and informed me it was zero tolerance week in the county and I really need to be more careful particularly this week. He then informed me he was required to ask for consent to search every vehicle he stopped this week. As politely as I could I informed him that I had been told by a friend of the family, a detective, to never consent to any kind of search. To which he said, "Good Advice". He wasn't friendly or even what I'd call nice but he did his job without trying to lie to me or abuse his authority. I hope there are more out there like him.
    Oh yea, and without even saying anything to me he wrote my ticket for 64 in a 45 so I could avoid wreckless.
  • I'm a big fan of what cops do, but I just feel better when they're not around. I have a buddy who works for Phoenix PD and his personality does a 180 when he's at work (or so I hear). I just think it's hard for a person to change gears so dramatically. It's hard for people to realize that they don't always have to enforce their will on other people. I used to be a soldier and the hardest thing about Iraq was coming home and not being in control.

Anyway, I didn't mean to infer that all cops are a-holes. I promise I'll smoke one for the police force tonight. After all, they deserve it.

• PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    bangalohr:
    I'm a big fan of what cops do, but I just feel better when they're not around. I have a buddy who works for Phoenix PD and his personality does a 180 when he's at work (or so I hear). I just think it's hard for a person to change gears so dramatically. It's hard for people to realize that they don't always have to enforce their will on other people. I used to be a soldier and the hardest thing about Iraq was coming home and not being in control.

Anyway, I didn't mean to infer that all cops are a-holes. I promise I'll smoke one for the police force tonight. After all, they deserve it.

Well smoke one for me Banger, cause I'll be on duty.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    I'm with urbi but then again aside from Sams Club and Costco I've never had to have my receipt checked. If I did I might refuse.

Puro I'm glad you said what you did about cops and I agree with you. I've had the pleasure of being harrassed by a number of cops(comes with the territory of driving low-riders and cars that really aren't street legal). Many of them only want to do their job and not get killed by doing this they end having to be an @$$. I've been pulled over by one cop who asked both me and my wife(girlfriend at the time) to step out of the vehicle. I got out and informed him she wasn't getting out of the vehicle unless she was being charged with something. Which caused quite an ordeal while he called backup "to watch her". Nicely enough when the backup got there he was informed he had illegally stopped me. A crack in the windshield, is a secondary offense here in VA. He followed me all the way through the county.

However in another incident a cop hit me 77 in a 45, he came up and informed me it was zero tolerance week in the county and I really need to be more careful particularly this week. He then informed me he was required to ask for consent to search every vehicle he stopped this week. As politely as I could I informed him that I had been told by a friend of the family, a detective, to never consent to any kind of search. To which he said, "Good Advice". He wasn't friendly or even what I'd call nice but he did his job without trying to lie to me or abuse his authority. I hope there are more out there like him.
    Oh yea, and without even saying anything to me he wrote my ticket for 64 in a 45 so I could avoid wreckless.
    I'm with you guys, too. As you said, I'm only familiar with it from Sam's/Costco and honestly have never been asked for a receipt elsewhere, like at a Wal-Mart. If I did, would probably show it no problem.

Based on conflicting info in this thread, I'm not sure what the law requires in this situation. But these people are paid (I'm sure not very well) and told to check receipts of anyone coming out of the store. It's not like their bosses tell them to give a pass to any people coming out of the store who don't agree with the policy. So they're just doing what they're paid to do and the enforcing the policy as they know it.

Now, they should do it in a courteous manner. I just think common sense and general human decency should win out in this case.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I have been following this thread with some interest. Here in the Walmarts they use those electronic screener devices. When the item goes thru the check-out the electronic tag gets cancelled so as NOT to set off the screening device as you try to leave the store. There is somebody standing inside the doors to check peoples bags if this occurrs.
    Shortly after the new Walmart opened I set off the device because apparently the device was NOT cancelled at the till. When I asked the Manager (I made the person call the manager) how this was possible considering he had already told me that the device was cancelled going thru the til. The item should NOT have shown up on my receipt, but it did. He had NO answer for that.

I told him that the next time I was in Walmart and the alarm went off, I would make them call the police BEFORE I would allow anybody to go thru my bags.
    Someone here made the point that once paid for those items are MINE, and that is what I told the manager. He said that he thought that I was over reacting to the situation. I replied that I did not appreciate being singled out because of a mistake by one of their employees or equipment malfunction.

I am an honest person and I know I would not steal something. So if any store wants to treat me like a criminal after I have spent my money in their store I have absolutely NO concern about making a very large and loud scene.

I have since told my wife that if it happens again just keep walking. If they chase us out to the car then that is where the police will find us when they arrive.

I am not really aggressive in most situations however if I am going to be accused of stealing from a store I just spent money at... then I am already embarrassed so then I come on very aggressive. I never take it out on the person at the door, they are just doing their job. I always ask to speak with a manager in such cases. They are the ones who make store policy, they are the ones who get paid more money to manage things so they are who I go after. I have no problem with getting loud and making the situation embarrassing for them.

I also told the manager that I would write a letter to the editor of the paper if it happened again. I don't take kindly to stores that have a policy which regards me as a potential thief, when I am spending my money in their establishment.

Stores have a right to protect themselves from thieves and such but they do NOT have the right to do it by treating everybody as a potential thief.
    I guess it would be too much to ask to see a receipt for any smokes you pass around just to be sure their not "HOT". Just messin' with ya bro...your post was so intense -all in fun man, easy easy breath deep
  • well for 1 yes the electronic door screeners should in all practical sense work but in realty and even a new store those door screeners work half the time. so yes if you are asked to see your receipt and look in your bag, you should. for another thing, you know your honest but walmart or any store has no idea who you are. put yourself in police,security shoes they need to act as if all citizens are guilty and capable of killing them, thats a big reason so many die is they get to relaxed on their job. so keep that in mind.also its not the managers who make the rules its corporation that makes the rules. take your job for example and if you would have a customer mad at you over a rule. you would tell them same thing. i nor a manager makes the rules its all from the big guys.oh, i wouldn't go running to your car by the way. thats what thieves and guilty people do. yes the store needs to have eyewitnessed you steal something but if they call the police on you for suspicion. well now you get stopped asked questions and embarassed all over something that would have taken 1 minute of your time. so lets say you did have a stolen item all they could do is retake it back and ban you from the store since it wasnt seen first hand.
    ilikebigbutts-cigarbutts:
    put yourself in police,security shoes they need to act as if all citizens are guilty and capable of killing them,
    Incorrect. Here in America we have this philosophy you may have heard about it. Its called innocent until proven guilty. It protects me from people treating me like I have commited a crime and places the purden on the accuser not the accusee.
    well i work part time as security for the mall and yes you are on private property and yes they do have right to stop anybody or everybody to see receipt.
    They have the right to ASK to see a receipt. They do not actually have the right to see it. Yes, shopkeeper's privilege allows a business owner or their representative to detain an individual without actually arresting them, but ONLY when they can articulate "reasonable cause" (term varies by jurisdiction, some places it's reasonable suspicion) that the individual has committed theft. Declining to show your receipt at a door check does not give rise to reasonable cause.

No offense, but this is part of the problem. Businesses give you the authority to enforce certain laws, without making sure you are informed of the nuances of said laws. It puts you in a bad position, because you are just doing your job, but I’m not going to waive my rights just because you weren’t trained properly.
    laker1963:
    I have been following this thread with some interest. Here in the Walmarts they use those electronic screener devices. When the item goes thru the check-out the electronic tag gets cancelled so as NOT to set off the screening device as you try to leave the store. There is somebody standing inside the doors to check peoples bags if this occurrs.
    Shortly after the new Walmart opened I set off the device because apparently the device was NOT cancelled at the till. When I asked the Manager (I made the person call the manager) how this was possible considering he had already told me that the device was cancelled going thru the til. The item should NOT have shown up on my receipt, but it did. He had NO answer for that.

I told him that the next time I was in Walmart and the alarm went off, I would make them call the police BEFORE I would allow anybody to go thru my bags.
    Here in Louisiana, the law specifically states that an electronic alarm being triggered IS reasonable cause to detain, but in this case there was no alarm triggered.
  • you took it to personnally, if you were in law enforcement and/or put yourself in their position, you would totally agree that they need to be "on the defensive" at all times. meaning they need to think you can or may at some point pose a threat to their safety. if this was not the case, more officers would get hurt/killed in line of duty. ask any officer and they will tell you this. its all about going to work alive and coming home alive. they are just keeping their gaurd up is all.have you ever watched some of those cop video shows and they pull over a lady speeding or driving eratically and they go to car not expecting much and the "innocent unharming" lady blows up at them?!!! or the videos of a single cop pulling over a car at night for a taillight out and the guy looks nice but in truth he is wanted for robbery or something and beats the cop up or pulls a gun on the cop. now tell me they cant act defensive from get go. and no they dont have to act like an a-hole but they arent in the biggest customer service field either. they are there to protect well beings and uphold laws, not be your friend and hope they dont get a "how did your officer treat you today" card turned in on them. yes theoretically you are innocent until proven guilty but if you are accused of stealing then you must counter that accusation with proof you didnt. also people dont understand is when they go to any store, you are on private property. if a store wants to throw you out and ban you from their store they most certainly can with some sort of reason. it may not seem right but you have to realize the people that this happens to arent your typical ma and pa going for some clearance items. its the ones that are rowdy or just give trouble from the get go so in all actuality the store or mall is being "cleaned' up for people that want to go and enjoy themselves without dealing with young thugs or thieves that make your $50 jeans cost $60. with that being said if everyone is honest like they said you should be happy they are asking to see receipts and the bad guys being kicked out so your prices stop going up and your shopping experience is good.
    yes theoretically you are innocent until proven guilty but if you are accused of stealing then you must counter that accusation with proof you didnt..
    Not in America.
    also people dont understand is when they go to any store, you are on private property. if a store wants to throw you out and ban you from their store they most certainly can with some sort of reason.
    They absolutely have the right to ask me to leave and not come back.They don't even need a reason. But even if they do, they still don't have the right to see my receipt or look in my bags, absent reasonable cause.
    with that being said if everyone is honest like they said you should be happy they are asking to see receipts and the bad guys being kicked out so your prices stop going up and your shopping experience is good.
    i couldn't disagree with this comment more. This is the whole argument for the Patriot Act and any other law stripping us of our rights. The whole"if you aren't doing anything wrong you have nothing to fear" routine. I have plenty to fear, most importantly I fear the methodical stripping away of my rights.
  • the reason for receipt looking is to see what you have bought to set off the screeners and to see if there isnt something extra you placed in your bag after checkout to set off screeners.this way they can get the stolen property before it hits us all in the end with higher prices. again if your innocent then no worrys but it seems that this is just another way of thinking to keep our law fighting men and woman from doing there job. its bad enough the criminals have more rights now a days than this type of thinking that you dont want people to do their job bc you feel threatened. so gues theres a lot of guilty minds out there. i really dont see what the big deal is of seeing your receipt. the checkout person had to fondle your items and put them in your bag and the people seen whats in your cart the whole store plus checkout. so what is looking at a piece of paper such a big deal? im just curious, what would be your way to deal with this, take all security and law enforcement away and hope bc people say they are honest that noone will steal and we live happily ever after?? also what would you do if you owned a store? you would have some type of security system in place. you would do everything possible to keep from losing money thru stealing. you would also be explaining to the exact same person these feelings when they are giving you crap about this aint fair and i wont show you anything. i just think this is pretty petty to be so outraged over and demand police and managers over 1 minute of your time for such an honest person. honesty dont mind being asked. if a screener gos off you just take it as a bad unit and go on with your day.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Scramz, I'm so with you on this. I never had anyone go to my car or stop me from putting my stuff in my car. If I had your encounter I would file a lawsuite. For me that was way over the edge. The only thing close was when I was followed to the door (as the checker person was a good 15 or so feet from the door with the sensors) and being yelled at to stop and to show my receipt. I kept on walking as I feel the way you do, I put my receipts in my wallet and I'm not wasting time (my time) to show some AHOLE proof of purchase. Out of the million camera's they can get off their fat A**. What happened to you is harassment and is un-called for. I want them to tackle me or to put a hand on me, my god would I love that.