Home Cigar 101

Resting cigars, how do you keep track of date?

Was curious how do you guys keep track of how long different cigars been resting? Thanks.

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    jbraslins:
    Was curious how do you guys keep track of how long different cigars been resting? Thanks.
    Little stickers you can get at Staples or somewhere like that. Mark the date you put them into your humi or purchsed them and your good to go.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    jbraslins:
    Little stickers you can get at Staples or somewhere like that. Mark the date you put them into your humi or purchsed them and your good to go.
    Yep, that's what I do for sticks I get at the B&M or in trades/passes etc. Otherwise I just keep my C.Com order forms/bills which have the date of purchase on them.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I use an excel spreadsheet. Works great, the only issue I have is multiples of the same brand put in at different dates, which can be stickered to differentiate. Say my new box of diesels, and I already have 15 diesels from 2 years ago. Use whatever works for you.
  • ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
    I put the date they arrive on a sticker, which goes on the cellophane of the cigar when I put it in the humi. It helps me keep track.

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I just remember. I buy mostly boxes, and singles I don't worry about unless it's going into my aging humidor. Also, since I buy 99% of my sticks with ccom I can always look at my order history if I forget. For stuff that's over two years ago I tend to remember anyway.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    I have 2 large humi"s and keep a little notebook for each with the type of cigar, current inventory and the arrival date. When I take some out I delete them from inventory so I know what's in there without having to rumage around, but I still do anyway. Usually buy batches of 20 or more of each so it's fairly easy to keep track of the dates this way. If I get some of the same cigars I put them in the other humi or leave them wrapped if they are in with some older ones in the same humi. Most of mine are unwrapped so I can't write on them. In my daily humi I don't keep track at all, just smoke em up. So far this has worked pretty well if you keep up the books.
  • jbraslinsjbraslins Posts: 57
    ScottTDawg:
    I put the date they arrive on a sticker, which goes on the cellophane of the cigar when I put it in the humi. It helps me keep track.

So most people keep cellophane wrappers on individual cigars in humi?
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    jbraslins:
    ScottTDawg:

It's a personal preference... I would think more would keep it ON then off... I keep them on, but you can make your own call.
  • danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    I go the little sticker method and also keep my cellophane on because I do a lot of rummaging around my humidor looking for and not being able to decide on something to smoke.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i got some empty mailing labels off ebay and cut them in bitty strips to put dates on , 300 outta last me awhile , a paper size sheets with labels stuck to it just cut off enough for dates > http://cgi.ebay.com/300-BLANK-1-x-2-5-8-White-Mailing-Address-Laser-Labels-/190525815591?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5c393b27
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    masking tape and a sharpie. its cheap and it has worked for me for 6 years.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I use the sticker on the cello also. I have a label maker and print the day it goes into the humi. Unless I get a cigar from someone else, then I put/leave the date it went into their humi. Just to know how long it has been sitting.
  • DeadmarshDeadmarsh Posts: 5
    I use the 'ole Avery Mailing Labels. You can go right into MS Word and pick a template then go to town! I put the name, size, and date they go into the humi. And it makes it easy if you buy a bunch of any certain one. Cut-'n-paste and a printer are my friend!!
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    I use an Excel spreadsheet, much easier for me than getting labels and writing on them etc....I indicate box date, my storage date, vitola, box/singles....
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    kuzi16:
    This for singles. Most boxes have dates now.
  • pbchevopbchevo Posts: 712
    jbraslins:
    ScottTDawg:

i keep my cellophane on because i heard that if u have a variaty of cigars that they can combine taste or something like that ,but i dont know if its true
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    pbchevo:
    i keep my cellophane on because i heard that if u have a variaty of cigars that they can combine taste or something like that ,but i dont know if its true
    its both true and not true.

yes it is true this if tobacco is left against each other for very extended periods of time there will be some oil transfer and some flavor melding.

it is not true because most people will not have the cigars in their collection for a long enough time to allow this to happen.
    even if they did, there is also a good chance that you would not be able to taste the difference. maybe the top .25% of cigar smokers could. probably not even that. the guys that could are the ones that many smokers could name off the top of their head because their skills are world renowned in the cigar world. think Kelner, Gomez, Fernandez, Eiroa, Fuente, Garcia, Miranda, Plasencia, Fuego.
  • smokeater187smokeater187 Posts: 232
    Mine get the sticker treatment before going in the humi...
  • Instead of a individual date on each sticker i used a 2 digit code. The year i stared smoking is number 1 and months go A-l. So a 2B is second year of smoking and stored in February of that year.Makes for smaller lables and is something only i can decode.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necro baby! Yehawww!
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the Avery address labels and type up the info I want on my computer then print. With small font I can add a lot of info on there and then cut em into strips. I like to have plenty of info at my fingertips when I grab a stick. I used to just put a date. Then I started adding more info. Now I can pick up a more recent purchased stick and know everything about it. It helps me pick older sticks when bundles or singles of the same type are stored together. I got plenty of Avos that I bought in ten and five packs. Never bought a box but I have a box full of them all at different stages of maturity. It's too much info by most guys standards but I like doing it that way.
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    I suggest the sticker method, because your collection will grow way too quickly for your memory to keep track of. I put day/month/year, source, and/or sampler type if relevant, and price paid/stick (in a letter code). Works for me.
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    I didnt like the smell of Sharpies.

I just order them, smoke them, repeat, as often as necessary.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once thought about stickers.
    Then I opened the door to the humi and that thought quickly disappeared.
    All I could think of is that there is no way I have enough discipline to do that.

I don't worry about it.
    There are sticks that I have on one shelf solely to age. The rest of them, they get rotated when I dig through them to see what I want.
    There are some that I have, that I can tell you when I purchased them. Others, that I know what year they were bought, but no idea what month. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • yongycyongyc Posts: 16
    I used an app to keep track, called humidor. The first 10 pieces is free and after that you have to pay .99 cents. Or google virtual humidor and you will find some good apps that will help you to keep track of the date.
  • variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    These are the labels that I use
    Avery Labels

There are 525 labels in the packet and I usually find them for under $2.00.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the Avery labels as well. I put the date and if someone gave it to me or I got it in a pass/trade, I put a name also. If it does not have cello, I use a strip of a post it note with the date, box code, etc wrapped around it like a band.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rsherman24:
    I use the Avery labels as well. I put the date and if someone gave it to me or I got it in a pass/trade, I put a name also. If it does not have cello, I use a strip of a post it note with the date, box code, etc wrapped around it like a band.
    I have a Diplomatico from you that has that post it note band. Thought that was super slick plus I have never had one of those and had been wanting to. Thanks again bro.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    rsherman24:
    The Post-It band is a clever idea for cello-less sticks. Thanks for sharing that.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just bury ones I truly love and forget about them till I rotate them then I bury them again. I love finding a cigar 2 years later that I didn't even know I had. Recently found a Comacho I've never even heard of. It's led a rough life but I think with some TLC and a couple bands in strategic places it'll hold together.