Home Cigar 101

Yet...you guessed it...another question.

I'm probably getting on your nerves.  For the new year,  I bought 3 RP 1999 vintage coneticuts.  I picked them up from the local smoke/cigar shop that day.  The wrapper on the cigar I was smoking started to split about a quarter of the way through it.  The flavor was very harsh and bit the tongue.  I've heard nothing but good things about RP and read some decent reviews on that particular cigar.  Is this typical of that cigar or could it be an issue with storage of the cigar prior to smoking?  I'd really hate to have gotten a great cigar that was poorly taken care and form a bad opinion of that smoke.    Thanks again everyone. 

Comments

• Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Sounds like a storage issue to me, especially since your wrapper started to split, though I haven't smoked that particular cigar. If you can, buy a few of the sticks from a different shop and see if you get the same flavors out of it.
  • smokestersmokester Posts: 131
    Ya it sounds like they just werent kept well try gettin them from a different shop like garen said and also let them rest in your humi a while. Also did you smoke the cigar fast because that could explain the harshness i find that sometimes i smoke mine to fast and if i slow down it begins to taste so much better i am finally starting to smoke my nice and slow just the way it should be and i am finding i am gettin so much more out of each cigar. Hope this helps i am still new to all of this but i am just sayin what i know from reading everything i have in the couple of months that i have been smoking.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    smokester:
    Ya it sounds like they just werent kept well try gettin them from a different shop like garen said and also let them rest in your humi a while. Also did you smoke the cigar fast because that could explain the harshness i find that sometimes i smoke mine to fast and if i slow down it begins to taste so much better i am finally starting to smoke my nice and slow just the way it should be and i am finding i am gettin so much more out of each cigar. Hope this helps i am still new to all of this but i am just sayin what i know from reading everything i have in the couple of months that i have been smoking.
    It definitley sounds like the cigar was dried out a little when you bought it. When the stick is dry, it will burn hotter and leave a bad taste in your mouth, that is also why you have noticed when you slow down your smoke, you get a better taste. I like to light my cigar and then let it rest for a min or so to get the temp down before I take that first luxarious puff. IMO, I would think twice before buying from that cigar shop again, I have some RP 99's in my humi and never had a problem with the wrapper splitting.

"Long ashes my friends."

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Ok there is a little conflict here but I'll try to give you my opinion on what you have going on here. FIRST the wrapper splitting is a sign of one of two things, poor construction OR overhumidification NOT underhumidification. SECOND The harsh flavor is a sign of a couple of things, poor construction(well blending/aging to be exact), underhumidification, or smoking too fast.

With that said it would be my opinion that either

1. You got a bad stick.
    2. You got an over humidified stick that you smoked to fast.

OR a third theory here applies only if the cigar had a tight draw which you did not mention. IF the cigar had a tight draw bc of being overhumidified and you then were pulling on it very hard this would also cause bitterness/harshness.

?
    Finally you are not getting on our nerves at all. This is what this is all about man. Ask away, seriously.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    tuckaholic:
    I've heard nothing but good things about RP ...
    you havent read enough of my posts then...

seriously though, its is probably a storage problem.
  • I have a theory that it was too dry and humidified too quickly back up to 70%. Splitting is what happens when it's not gradual right? I am no expert, just thought I might throw out some food for thought but that's sort of like me putting some bologna on the table at a steak buffet right?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    yes but this would happen even before you lit it. if it went from 20% rh to 70% overnight, it would split in the box.

however, if it was slightly over humidified though the humi was at 65-70% then when you lit it it may split. it also depends on the ambient air
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey tuck, don't give up on Rocky.. Although the 1999 is not my personal favorite, ( I much prefer the 1992 !) it is a cigar that is worth another try. Storage is most likely the issue here, and maybe some degree of your own taste. Try one that you know has been stored properly and give them another chance. I believe you will find the experience rewarding.
  • Thanks for your help guys.  I think i'm going to avoid that shop from now on unless neccessary.  I have the humidor up and going and a decent shipment coming in so I should have no need for the local smoke shop. 

tuckaholic:

Thanks for your help guys.  I think i'm going to avoid that shop from now on unless neccessary.  I have the humidor up and going and a decent shipment coming in so I should have no need for the local smoke shop. 

Support your local B&M buddy especially if they have a lounge. If you don't they'll soon be gone.
  • The only lounge i've found locally is extremely high in price on all of its sticks.  I'm talking 5-10 dollars over anywhere else i've seen.  Granted it is in a higher class neighboorhood and it does have a lounge so I would expect to pay a little more but that much is overpriced.  Anywhere online to look for local smoke shops?  What does B&M stand for?  I've been hearing this repeated and I have no idea. 
    That is ridiculous. Try rtda.org. B&M stands for Bricks and Mortar, just means a physical shop.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I suggest a Google Maps search.