Home Non Cigar Related

Anyone smoke a pipe?

J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
Hi all,
I thought I would see if anyone else smoked a pipe. I have been smoking cigars for almost 20 years but I started smoking a pipe just a little over a year ago. I generally smoke a bowl or two a day.

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    yup....

• minibeezyminibeezy Posts: 257
    stephen_hannibal:
    yup....

+1
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Just about every night when I don't smoke a cigar or sometimes both. Big fan of RLP6 and 1Q.
  • wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    minibeezy:
    stephen_hannibal:
    yup....

+1
    +2 (only for about 2months though.)
  • +3?...I dont do it often but I dig it in winter usually
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Yup; love my briar pipe. I smoke Captain Black or Borkum Riff typically
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I've done some desperate things in prison... But I don't anymore
  • surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Posts: 628
    Yeah I love smoking bowls in my pipe.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    It is nice to know that there are a few of us still out here. One of my local B & M's has stopped selling pipe tobacco accept for two aromatics, which I don't enjoy as much as the traditional Latakia mixes. He has there is no market for it anymore.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    I've done some desperate things in prison... But I don't anymore
    lol...

hehe, I knew someone would say something.. figured you'd beat me to it.

I like pipes. I need to buy one myself. Thing is finding the right tobacco.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Yep, Not as often as I used to,, Cuts into my cigar smokin, Funny cause I almost had a bowl Of McClellands this morning, But got sidetracked..
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I've actually been wanting to try one, just don't know which one to get.

"Long ashes my friends."

xmacro:
    If you like the Captain black try lane limited RLP6. If you give me a heads up a day or two before your going to place and order let me know an I can bring in a little sample to include with your order.
    Krieg:
    I've actually been wanting to try one, just don't know which one to get.
    PM sent
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    I have two pipes now so I can smoke more often, typically have been hittin what little Black Maple J03zr sent me some time back, also have 3oz of Coyote I've been meaning to try, stuff stinks worse than **** on a skunk though...
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Hayblet:
    typically have been hittin what little Black Maple J03zr sent me some time back
    Is that a hint...should I send more? Big Smile [:D]
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Hayblet:
    only if you want a nice cigar bomb in return Sir! Seriously though I do love that blend, also the Ambrosia that PsychoSYG or somethin sent me, but keep goin for that maple when I do smoke, got me wanting to go smoke a bowl tonight.
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    xmacro:
    If you like the Captain black try lane limited RLP6. If you give me a heads up a day or two before your going to place and order let me know an I can bring in a little sample to include with your order.
    Will do!
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Actually, the more I think about it, the more I want to try smoking a pipe.What's a good starter pipe? I can't find anything other than a corn cob pipe here.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    wwhwang:
    Actually, the more I think about it, the more I want to try smoking a pipe.What's a good starter pipe? I can't find anything other than a corn cob pipe here.
    Savinelli makes a brand called Duca Carlo, great pipes pretty inexpensive.

• wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    Also Dr Garbrow makes cheap pipes. Good in case you don't get into it.
    wwhwang:
    Pm Sent
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I have a few Dr. Grabow Briars, and a few Corn Cobs. I'm not a huge pipe smoker, but I do enjoy it, especially in the wintertime.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Yeah, I smoke more during the winter but I got a nice bowel in today. The wife needed some kitchen knives sharpened so I figured why not have one. I enjoy it during times like that.
    wwhwang:
    Well, from what little I know of pipes, there's not a whole lot of difference between the smoking experience; it's more workmanship, and durability. If you wanna get into pipe smoking, just about any pipe should do you - just make sure to inspect the inside; the hole should be in the bottom, so the air is drawn to the bottom instead of halfway down

As for material, stay away from clay or stone - it can get too hold to hold and when it gets that hot, it starts "cooking" the tobacco, producing a very disgusting juice in teh bottom that you can sometimes suck up - VERY disgusting. For the most part, try to find a nice briar wood pipe; if you wanna splurge down the road, Meerschaum is a beautiful wood that starts white, and gradually turns yellow with smoking - ever watched For a Few Dollars More? Lee Van Cleefs pipe is a merschaum - stunning IMO.

Finally, you could always buy an "estate" pipe - that is, one that's been used by someone else for a number of years; if you don't mind it being second-hand, you can get some very expensive pipes at very cheap prices.

EDIT - Obligatory explaination on pipe smoking: the pipe will go out within a minute if you don't keep it hot (but a full bowl will last you over an hour) - you keep a pipe going by continuously suck in the smoke into your mouth and either blow it back into the stem, or blow it out, then blow fresh air into the stem - unlike cigars, a pipe is smoked by both puffing and blowing (no ****)

If a pipe gets cold, it'll turn very bitter if you don't relight it quickly (same with a cigar) - you can either use a lighter to relight, or you can take two fingers, and cover the top of the bowl - separate your fingers a little bit and start drawing. Your goal is to only allow a very small amount of air in as you're drawing, you wanna create a small suction, so the embers get relit and pulled towards the bottom of the bowl to the unlit tobacco

EDIT 2 - if you get a new pipe, it needs to be seasoned - that is, for the first 10 bowls, pack it ONLY 1/3 full; after that, pack it 2/3 full for the next 10 bowls - after that, the pipe will have built up a proper "cake" inside, which protects the wood from catching fire when you smoke

EDIT 3 - another short story :/

Meerschaum isn't wood macro.Click
    Hayblet:
    j0z3r:
    Hayblet:
    only if you want a nice cigar bomb in return Sir! Seriously though I do love that blend, also the Ambrosia that PsychoSYG or somethin sent me, but keep goin for that maple when I do smoke, got me wanting to go smoke a bowl tonight.
    Well, just so happens I'm heading down to the b&m Saturday, so I'll pick some up for you. I might have to try it myself with all the praise you've given the blend.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    To The Kid, stephen, xmacro, and wwestern - Thanks for all the advice and tips. I'll make sure to try it all out.
    j0z3r:
    Meerschaum isn't wood macro.Click
    huh, never knew that. Cool!
    One of my favortie things about RLP6 from lane is that it never goes out.