Home Ratings & Reviews

Gurkha Centurian Perfecto

Okay, first I must admit I did some things wrong with this cigar. One I smoked it right out of the package and two I didn't have a cutter with me to cut the end, but I was desperate and wanted a cigar and being perfecto it was mandatory that I cut off the tip. That being said here we go. This was probably the worst smoke I have had and witht he above mentioned faults it is probably my own doing. It was hard to get it lit and draw any smoke from the cigar. I finally got a good feeling draw out of it, but it never seemed to produce any smoke for the effort. The thing also burned out on me while I was smoking it. I feel even though I didn't let it rest that it may have been a bad cigar anyways as there was a copper taste on my tongue after every draw that I was hopig would go away; it was not pleasant. I was somewhat glad that it burnt out because I was about to put it out because I couldn't stand it anymore. The aroma from the cigar was good and while it was lit it had a good burn, but for some reason it just stopped. Oh well. I am not giving up on cigars but it will be a little while before I try that cigar again and before I try anything out of the package like that. -Matt

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Well you can't win 'em all, even with a high dollar Gurkha. It is never a bad idea to let them rest for a bit, and with a Gurkha I'd imagine some resting time in a humidor could make a big change not to mention I've heard some resting can fix construction flaws that might cause burn issues.

If you're looking for something else to try that is a pretty good smoke and a bit less expensive than a Gurkha, I would recommend the CAO CX2, that was a good cigar and I was pleased with everything about it from its flawless construction down to the cool and even burn, and the flavors were good and consistent throughout with an increase in strength about mid way through.

Didn't mean to start rambling. Also, as a side note, I've got your PIF all sorted out and ready to mail tomorrow. I hope you enjoy it as I put in a decent variety of smokes and gave some thought before I packed it up.

Joe
  • Dr. McCoolDr. McCool Posts: 1
    I had the same experience with my two of my Gurkhas.  Both were rolled tight and burned unevenly.  They tasted great but looked ugly.  I am surprised to see such poor quality from a "super premium" cigar.  Suggesting that I let them sit and hopefully the poor workmanship will resolve itself is unreasonable from my point of view. 

I expected much more from Gurkha. They disappointed me.  Try a Sancho Panza.  They are a well made, great tasting smoke right out of the package for $3-$4 a stick!  Perhaps Gurkha can send some of their rollers to the Sancho Panza factory and learn how to make a cigar.

D
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the perfecto shape is a lot harder to roll. many times it has a hard time burning even because the wrapper and binder are not exactly as tight (compared to eachother) as they could be. the difference between the two causes an uneven burn. Most perfectos that are as drastic as that one is will burn unevenly uless plenty of time in the humidor is given.

all other gurkhas that i have had that are not a perfecto shape have had near flawless burns for me. Its not the rollers im sure.

you should still try the sancho panza line. the extra fuerte and the double maduro are great.
    however, the gurkha rollers could give a lesson to the sancho panza rollers-- i mean, there is a reason why the sancho panza line doesn't (wont) offer a perfecto vitola.
  • ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    I've had 2 of the Centurian Perfectos and had a couple of issues with both. The biggest problem was the wrapper basically "exploded" on both of them, and this after resting for a few weeks. Both were purchased at the same time so maybe it was a bad batch. The second problem, the flavor profile was fair at best, so with that it wasn't worth it for me to try again.
  • golfcigarjunkiegolfcigarjunkie Posts: 61
    One little tip I learned was to check the draw before lighting the cigar that way you can try and fix it before lighting. Paper clips, henry's tools and other devices can be used to improve the draw, just be careful not to damage the wrapper.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Good call golf. I myself take a couple pulls before lighting up. I haven't been a big Gurkha fan myself as I think their cigars are not very complicated and generally have one dominant flavor that is usually earthy, leather or java. Those are not my ideal flavors so ... i want spice as I have said plenty of times on here. However I've smoked a couple of Gurkha's now and have never experienced a construction problem. I just got the COTMC first month so I'm going to smoke one of their perfectos here soon and I'll share my experience.
    i just find that their perfecto shapes burn a bit uneven and i almost always need one corrective light. i also find they burn better with much rest.

other than that i remember that i loved the centurian. Marurofan, you are right on with the dominent flavors in gurkha cigars. I just seem to think they are more complex. I think thats because i enjoy the earthy side of cigars more. i tollerate it more and am therefore more willing to look for other flavors in the cigar. It must be a psychological thing.
    OK I went to my local tobacconist for lunch and smoked a AVO perfecto. Had to test the theory. It burned perfectly but started to blow up a couple of times. Thankfully it held in there and didn't blow up but it did split in 2 places. An AVO is a pretty high end cigar so though could be another piece of evidence to support Kuzi's theory. Second, Kuzi, you're probably right about the earthiness of Gurkha's. I eliminated a lot of cigars when I said I didn't care for Earthy, leather or Java. I only meant to say typically those are the flavors I get from Gurkha's and I don't typically love cigars that have a dominant flavor that is earthy. I do, however, like to taste any of those three in a cigar but prefer them to be subtle or a secondary flavors. Of course there are exceptions sometimes that earthiness hits me just right and I rave about it. I smoked a RP decade once that was EXTREMEMLY earthy and loved it. THen the next time not so much. Its all preference boys.
    i can see what you are saying. I like the earthy in gurkha but not as much in RP... so i completely understand. Everyone doesnt like one major brand name. you dont like gurkha i dont like RP. just like you said: personal preerence.
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    I've also had a bad run in with the Gurkha perfecto, but as we persevere I tried the Gurkha Shurpia and I was extremely happy the burn was even and the draw was good.... Med. to Mild on the smoke
    I haven't had enough Gurkha's to say I don't like them but after these 5 I got with the first month of COTMC I should be able to definetly say. I will say the last 2/3 of the Gurkha Shaggy was fairly tasty.
  • dep691dep691 Posts: 311
    Madurofan. I had a gurhka centurian perfecto a couple of months ago and the good impression I got from it stayed with me. I realy enjoyed it. Matter of fact I used to stay away from any perfecto, just didn't want to try it until I smoked that one. To me the perfectos have a completely different flavor and I want to say smoothness to it than say a churchill or toro. Maybe just me.
    dep691:
    To me the perfectos have a completely different flavor and I want to say smoothness to it than say a churchill or toro. Maybe just me.
    I find the same thing to be true. Perfectos DO have a different taste. Im not sure if you remember the convo we had about ring gauge and wrapper to filler ratios, but the gist of it was "the smaller the ring gauge the more wrapper to filler, the more flavor, the hotter the smoke- so slow down."

the perfecto shape (at least MOST perfectos) have a very long gradual taper to them. the centurian for example has only about an inch to an inch and a half where it is at the thickness of a 60 ring. this means that for the entire cigar the wrapper to filler ratio is changing. because of the tobacco being all the same, though, the main flavor profile is the same all the way through, but with subtle changes. I find that the perfecto shape is inharently complex.

the centurian in so exception in my mind. it is a subtle complexity, but it is there.
    Ok guys I completely agree that perfectos are more complex. I love perfectos IMO they are easier to light making the lighting of the cigar less damaging to the taste. However, they are definetly more sensitive cigars. They blow up easier and have burn issues easier. Most of this is caused, lke kuzi said, by the difficulty of rolling this cigar. HOWEVER, the statement "the smaller the rng gauge the more wrapper to filler, the more flavor, the hotter the smoke- so slow down." is incorrect IMO. Well partly incorrect. True the wrapper to filler ratio is greater, true you need to smoke it slower but I disagree that a smaller ring gauge cigar inherently has more flavor. I think that is more reliant on the quality of the filler than the ring gauge. I believe you CAN get a more complex cigar with a multitude of flavors in a bigger ring rauge than a smaller one. Thats not say that you normally do get that just that the possibilty is there for it to be the case.
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    Dang it! All this talk about perfectos. I have two Ghurka Grand Age perfectos that have been in my humi for over a year. Now I may have to smoke one tonight. :P
    Haha let us know how that works out for you smoke.
    madurofan:
    HOWEVER, the statement "the smaller the rIng gauge the more wrapper to filler, the more flavor, the hotter the smoke- so slow down." is incorrect IMO. Well partly incorrect. True the wrapper to filler ratio is greater, true you need to smoke it slower but I disagree that a smaller ring gauge cigar inherently has more flavor. I think that is more reliant on the quality of the filler than the ring gauge.
    I can go 50/50 on that statement. if the filler had NOTHING to do with the taste why would anyone worry about what country its from or what priming it is? but i still have to say that since most of the flavor from a cigar is from the wrapper the wrapper to filler ratio is still important.

on a side note... Madurofan i love how every time i log in and read one of your posts it makes me think and use the "cigar part of my brain." that is what a forum is all about!!! deffinatly a great addition to this forum. keep up the great posts!!
    Well, I have to buy the brandy first >.>
    On the bright side, since I get off at 3:30 today, I may have a two cigar night! A CAO Black VR Moby has also been calling my name of late. ;) Coupled with a new bottle of brandy, this may be quite the day for me :D
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    HOWEVER, the statement "the smaller the rIng gauge the more wrapper to filler, the more flavor, the hotter the smoke- so slow down." is incorrect IMO. Well partly incorrect. True the wrapper to filler ratio is greater, true you need to smoke it slower but I disagree that a smaller ring gauge cigar inherently has more flavor. I think that is more reliant on the quality of the filler than the ring gauge.
    I can go 50/50 on that statement. if the filler had NOTHING to do with the taste why would anyone worry about what country its from or what priming it is? but i still have to say that since most of the flavor from a cigar is from the wrapper the wrapper to filler ratio is still important.

on a side note... Madurofan i love how every time i log in and read one of your posts it makes me think and use the "cigar part of my brain." that is what a forum is all about!!! deffinatly a great addition to this forum. keep up the great posts!!
    I agree most of the flavor comes from the wrapper/binder which is why cigars are generally called by their wrapper. However, my personal opinion is that complexity comes from a good filler. Thanks kuzi, I like forward to your posts as well. I try to generate debates and get others to share their opinions and thoughts. Its no fun if everyone just ho-hums along and agrees with each other. Everyone should voice their opinion and no one should get offended when they do. Good debates cause everyone involved to do a little research and LEARN. Learning, isn't that why we're on here?
    Mmmm brandy and a CAO Black. hmmm it might be a port and gurkha night for me. :)
    im gunna cheap out tonight: sancho panza double maduro and a bottle (or three) of Honey Brown... all while sittin around the campfire.

but back to the topic at hand. Perfectos are becomming my favorite shape because of the inharent complexity. i can deal with the burn issues if the taste is good enough.
    kuzi16:
    i can deal with the burn issues if the taste is good enough.
    Well said
    Smoke=Fire:
    kuzi16:
    i can deal with the burn issues if the taste is good enough.
    Well said
    I second that.
  • I just like the shape of perfectos... there's something classic about it, or at least classic is the word that comes to mind... and had never really thought too much about how it affects the complexity and taste. Now I'm going to have to pay more attention when I smoke them.

Speaking of, though, I had a very delicious La Aurora Preferidos Emerald the other day that was well aged (had some plume on it from aging in my local tobacconist's humidor) and it was amazing. There were a few burn issues, but like kuzi said, it was worth dealing with for the flavor.
    I'm yet to find one that doesn't have burn issues but damn they are oh so good.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I will always deal with a burn issue in favor of great taste. I too have started to enjoy perfectos more often, that may be a natural progression in smokers. Bigger bands, more complex ( flavorful) construction, It seems once I started moving up in sizes, I don't go back down when purchasing cigars. I never buy coronas or short smokes anymore and that was my exclusive size at one time.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    New here. I have to agree that perfectos are usually more complex and interesting in nature, not to mention the classic shape (I think of the old Warner Bros cartoons, whenever someone had a cigar, it was tapered at both ends). I've only had one Gurkha perfecto and it was the legend aniversario. I have to say that's been my favorite Gurkha so far (along side the turk, double maduro, grand envoy, ancient warrior, connecticut reserve, and symphony). Not incredibly complex, but very nice. I've also had 2 of the La Aurora preferidos tubes (emerald and gold) and both were outstanding. I still have the platinum and sapphire in the humi for a nice day with a nice scotch or cognac.
    Rob1110:
    Not incredibly complex, but very nice.
    i agree with this statement. if you want a more complex perfecto from gurkha then i would go with the centurian.
    kuzi16:
    Rob1110:
    Not incredibly complex, but very nice.
    i agree with this statement. if you want a more complex perfecto from gurkha then i would go with the centurian.
    on a side note... the centurian was the topic on this thread. I just reccomended it to someone who smoked the legend.
    anyone else find the centurian better than the legend?