Home Cigar 101

Whats wrong with my torch lighter?

gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
Ok this is only my 2nd torch had trouble with my 1st one but I used cheap butane. So that should explain it.

Now a few weeks ago got a semi nice Bugatti single flame. Have only used Xikar extra refined butane. I follow all the instructions on the Xikar butane can. Bleed with a small screwdriver, set setting to lowest then fill.

Now the lighter only works off and on if at all. Itll spit flame but only for a few seconds. If it does work its only long enough for one cigar then stops working. What could I be doing wrong?

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    get a can of compressed air and keep it handy. The small holes plug easily.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    gaberox:
    Ok this is only my 2nd torch had trouble with my 1st one but I used cheap butane. So that should explain it. Now a few weeks ago got a semi nice Bugatti single flame. Have only used Xikar extra refined butane. I follow all the instructions on the Xikar butane can. Bleed with a small screwdriver, set setting to lowest then fill. Now the lighter only works off and on if at all. Itll spit flame but only for a few seconds. If it does work its only long enough for one cigar then stops working. What could I be doing wrong?
    try playin with the flame adjustment setting
  • gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    beatnic:
    get a can of compressed air and keep it handy. The small holes plug easily.

Wlling to try it. I thought the quality butane prevented plugs and clogging?
    The Kid:
    gaberox:
    Ok this is only my 2nd torch had trouble with my 1st one but I used cheap butane. So that should explain it.

Now a few weeks ago got a semi nice Bugatti single flame. Have only used Xikar extra refined butane. I follow all the instructions on the Xikar butane can. Bleed with a small screwdriver, set setting to lowest then fill.

Now the lighter only works off and on if at all. Itll spit flame but only for a few seconds. If it does work its only long enough for one cigar then stops working. What could I be doing wrong?
    try playin with the flame adjustment setting

Seems logical but I have to no avail.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    I have a bugatti B1 where mine did the same, I played with the adjustment screw and it resolved the problem, Also what beatnic said about the compressed air has worked for me too, Where I have blown out the flame nozzel, ive also taken a very thin wire and actually tried clearing the holes.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    You know what, I've gone through 2 expensive torchs and they both self destructed...got a cheapo torch and works like a charm...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if you hold your cigar too close to the flame then it will gunk up the burner quickly. try cleaning that.
  • danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    Diamondog:
    You know what, I've gone through 2 expensive torchs and they both self destructed...got a cheapo torch and works like a charm...
    +1 best torch lighter I've ever had is a $10 no name from a b&m
    Well after a week of it not working I got it goin tonite. Did what I always do. Dont know what to think. Thanks for the input guys.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    For a great cheap and reliable lighter, I can't recommend the Ronson Jet Lite enough. Check your local Walmart. They can be had for as little as 3 bucks.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got th same lighter as Judo, works great cost 3$ at walley world.
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been using my Vector Hammer single torch for over 6 months without a single issue. I have "better", more expensive lighters but this one is my favorite and it never fails me.

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • ctschirgictschirgi Posts: 63 ✭✭
    Compressed air is the trick. I used the installed air system on the cutter, but a can of air should do the trick as well. Good fuel doesn't solve the problem of lint, dirt, etc coming in from the top. Even with a covered lighter I have still had this problem.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JudoChinX:
    For a great cheap and reliable lighter, I can't recommend the Ronson Jet Lite enough. Check your local Walmart. They can be had for as little as 3 bucks.
    Just got one of these, since my $60 Zippo Blu won't work anymore. 90 days old, at first using the blow-gun on the compressor worked, and I swithched to Xikar fuel, then using Carbeuretor cleaner and the blow gun, now...nothing. Sending it back, $3.99 Ronson is working great!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    JudoChinX:
    +1 to the ronson jetlite. Can't argue with the cost/benefit of a ronson.

Also I have one of the inexpensive colibris, the firebird, and it works great as well. It seems to be a middle of the road kind of lighter. not a cheapy throw away and not a high priced fancy one, but its got a sharp flame, works everytime.
    Dumb question here, do you push the compressed air through the lighter like you would the butane?
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    +1 Been there, done that.... I recently purchased a Vectra Thundra table lighter..at first I thought it was gonna be too big and bulky and have an unmanageble flame, but I was getting increasingly frustrated buying all these lighters and having all of these problems with them. Two lighters that I will swear by are the Vector lighters Thundra (Perdomo logo) and the Knight (very similar to the Bugatti B-1...LOL) Both of these lighters have given me exceptional service.
  • couple of things,.....1- check if the little spark thing is over the flames....u might want to move it around a little....thats what ahappened to my triple flame lighter, u could hear it hiss, but it had difficulty lighting......it wasnt consistent....( till i moved it with a pen, and now it works every time) 2- drain the lighter and use the vector 5 time filter butane...u can find 2 bottles for like 13.00.....i bought 2 last summer and only on the first bottle, ( i have 5 lighters) i have one single flame( ave maria lotus) , its nice, small ,use it when i walk the dog.... there is a site buylighters.com...check it out..... good luck bro
  • ctschirgictschirgi Posts: 63 ✭✭
    gaberox:
    Dumb question here, do you push the compressed air through the lighter like you would the butane?
    No just blast the area of the burner assembly. It should remove any lint or dust.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I've used this lighter going on a year now. It cost me $2.97

A combo of this and my Xikar Ex and every cigar every time.

So I think my supposedly nice Bugatti B1 is bunk. Ive tried everything. Still does not work properly. Wack.
    I sometimes hold down the ignition so that air (very well may just be an excessive air to gas ratio) gets purged. Yes, you'll lose some butane in the process, but this seems to help get the mix better as butane is heavier than air. Also, shaking the lighter a bit can also help which I suspect is due to getting compressed air / gas mixed up better. Finally, try holding your lighter in your hand to get it warmed up prior to using it. That, too, will help you get a better butane to air mixture.
  • I just tried all of the above after I bought the one for $2 and change at walmart. After lighting one cigar, I hold it upside down and it sounds like gas is coming out but it doesn't light. I hold it right side up and try to light it with no success. I have 0 experience with a butane lighter, did I hold it too close to the cigar and need to spray it out with compressed air? How high should i hold the cigar above the flame?
    It's hard to say. I've never had issues with clogging, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to give it a shot. As far as where to hold the lighter, I give it around 1.5 inches; pretty much close enough that it lights but far enough away that it doesn't get too hot.

I think it was already mentioned in this thread, but emptying and refilling the lighter is also a good thing to try.
  • Tried emptying it, looks like i got a dud. Good thing though since it was only $3, I will throw it in the trash and buy another. I tried the cleaning with compressed air but it only shoots out flame inconsistently in short bursts most of the time not at all no hiss.
    Also, do you use the $2 fuel that is next to it in the isle? The Ultra butane fuel, or do I really just have a dud?
    Just made arangments to return the Bugatti. Gona have to research what to torch to invest in next.
    bigmatt72:
    Tried emptying it, looks like i got a dud. Good thing though since it was only $3, I will throw it in the trash and buy another. I tried the cleaning with compressed air but it only shoots out flame inconsistently in short bursts most of the time not at all no hiss.
    Also, do you use the $2 fuel that is next to it in the isle? The Ultra butane fuel, or do I really just have a dud?
    I use the Xikar fuel offered on this site, but that being said, I gave a friend one of these lighters and they use the cheapo Ronson fuel found next to the lighter at the store. You're not shaking the can prior to filling the lighter are you?
  • JudoChinX:
    bigmatt72:
    Tried emptying it, looks like i got a dud. Good thing though since it was only $3, I will throw it in the trash and buy another. I tried the cleaning with compressed air but it only shoots out flame inconsistently in short bursts most of the time not at all no hiss.
    I use the Xikar fuel offered on this site, but that being said, I gave a friend one of these lighters and they use the cheapo Ronson fuel found next to the lighter at the store. You're not shaking the can prior to filling the lighter are you?
    Well, the lighter went bad after partially lighting one cigar, then inspecting to make sure it was all lit and saw some areas that could use flame, when I went to light more I started having problems. I remembered the inspector number on the bottom "99" then when I was at walmart tonight, I checked the numbers on the bottom and got a 92 instead. And I haven't had any issues with it so far.

I'm pretty sure I didn't shake the can but I never got around to re-filling when the problems started, only during the troubleshooting.
    bigmatt72:
    JudoChinX:
    bigmatt72:
    Well, the lighter went bad after partially lighting one cigar, then inspecting to make sure it was all lit and saw some areas that could use flame, when I went to light more I started having problems. I remembered the inspector number on the bottom "99" then when I was at walmart tonight, I checked the numbers on the bottom and got a 92 instead. And I haven't had any issues with it so far.

I'm pretty sure I didn't shake the can but I never got around to re-filling when the problems started, only during the troubleshooting.
    Sweet. Hope this one works out a bit better for ya. :)
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    gaberox:
    So I think my supposedly nice Bugatti B1 is bunk. Ive tried everything. Still does not work properly. Wack.
    Could have an air bubble in your lighter, try bleeding the air out. I've had this problem with my bugatti and rp triple flame. Once I bled the air out it started working again with no issues.

"Long ashes my friends."