Home Non Cigar Related

Hey doody, the Panthers suck.

madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
Continue trash talk here.

Comments

• LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    So, who throws a better punch? Steve Smith or the receiver for the Skins who knocked the crap out of Stephen Davis...what was his name, was it Michael Westbrook or something like that?
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    madurofan:
    LMAO!! I just came here to start a thread such as this... and you've done it already!

I totally agree with you about Steve Smith. However, that tends to be the case with all receivers these days. He is actually a great guy outside of football. He helps coach the soccer team that a lot of our friends' kids play on, and his wife (Angie) is very nice as well. We corresponded with her for a bit after they had their first child, and they both seem to be genuinely nice people. He's just an @$$hole at work, I guess. I can relate to that :)
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    madurofan:
    LMAO!! I just came here to start a thread such as this... and you've done it already!

I totally agree with you about Steve Smith. However, that tends to be the case with all receivers these days. He is actually a great guy outside of football. He helps coach the soccer team that a lot of our friends' kids play on, and his wife (Angie) is very nice as well. We corresponded with her for a bit after they had their first child, and they both seem to be genuinely nice people. He's just an @$$hole at work, I guess. I can relate to that :)
    Well that raises my opinion of him a bit.
    Luko:
    So, who throws a better punch? Steve Smith or the receiver for the Skins who knocked the crap out of Stephen Davis...what was his name, was it Michael Westbrook or something like that?
    LMAO! God I'd forgotten about Michael Mestbrook
  • Steve Smith is talented. I think the Cards rookie CB Rogers-Cromartie is going to hold him down. He's gotten past the rookie mistake of giving up the big plays and he's secoming a playmaker himself. I've never theen the DB that could stop Fitzgerald. If the cards can stop Carolina the way they stopped Atlanta last week, they're a superbowl caliber team. I'm not counting on it, but just imagine the Cardinals offense against the steelers defense. Fitzgerald running for his life with Troy Polamalu on his heels.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    My prediction for the Super Bowl is..... Pathers vs. Titans... Verbally abuse me how you all see fit... haha
    PuroFreak:
    My prediction for the Super Bowl is..... Pathers vs. Titans... Verbally abuse me how you all see fit... haha
    I'm thinking the same thing but I'd rather see the Panthers v. Steelers
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Yea, that I think would be an exciting game too. Either way I'd be happy. As long the the Beagles don't go I'll be in a good mood!!!
    PuroFreak:
    Yea, that I think would be an exciting game too. Either way I'd be happy. As long the the Beagles don't go I'll be in a good mood!!!
    Have no fear even if they somehow make it there they've proven time and again they are incapable of winning it.
    madurofan:
    PuroFreak:
    I knew you were a closet Steelers fan, Maddy.
    Luko:
    madurofan:
    PuroFreak:
    I knew you were a closet Steelers fan, Maddy.
    Actually my wife's whole fam is Steelers fan. So yes the Steelers are my 2nd favorite team, a distant 2nd(you'll never catch me wearing any Steelers gear) but as long as they aren't playing the Skins I root for them.
    Alright... time for predictions.. let's start with the NFC:

The Giants and Coughlin are on one quarter away from a total meltdown.
    The Eagles make the Giants look emotionally stable.
    The Panthers' defense, while good, is still very (VERY) overrated, and has been since 2005.
    The Cardinals' defense, while bad, seems to have figured a thing or two out in stopping the run. Plus, they've gotten a little traction in their own run game. They also feature one of the two quarterbacks left in the NFC to win a Super Bowl. They are not to be counted out.

Prediction: Giants over Cardinals (WTF!!???). As long as they don't let Burress travel with the team.

Now, on to the AFC:

The Titans have gone from looking invincible to looking very fragile.
    The Steelers have looked impressive against the formidable AFC North. They also feature a quarterback who has been here before and knows how to distribute the ball fairly (i.e. to both teams) in big games.
    The Chargers have looked good lately, and they are much better than their record would indicate.
    The Ravens are very strong on both sides of the ball, but they feature a very talented rookie quarterback in Joe Flacco. Rookie quarterbacks don't win championships. Period. Ask Big Ben.

Prediction: Steelers over Ravens

Congratulations, Luko. Looks like the Steelers just won the Super Bowl over the Giants.

If the Panthers can figure out the defense this weekend (they get their starting tackles back, which has been a major gap for us lately), we could very well blow out the Cards. If that happens, I put the Panthers in the Super Bowl against the Steelers. Sorry Luko, but the Panthers win that one. Polamalu, Schmolamalu. Big Ben, meet Juilus Peppers.
    Whoever wins the pooperbowl this year does so knowing it's a pukey year.

The Eagles and Chargers absolutely suck it, especially the Chargers. Do you know the last time a team won a division with an 8-8 record? 1943. That's before football was even invented. The Eagles were horrendous pretty much all year (except for when they demolished the Steelers) and lucked their way in cause Romo is the biggest choke artist of the decade. The Cardinals were the hot pick early, but they limped into the playoffs like doody during his xmas party. Despite his luck last year, Eli Manning is only the third best quarterback in his family, the run game breaks down and they go nowhere fast.

The Panthers?? Quietly pretty good all year. But Jake The Man is their quarterback. You only go so far with Jake. The Ravens - pretty good D, offense doesn't stink. All and all, pretty uninspiring. Titans kicked butt all year and played a couple of down games...dunno, but I wouldn't count them out.

The Steelers - I have to admit...they're defense can keep them in and potentially win them any game. Their offense could lose any game for them. Ugh.
    I disagree with most of that, Luko. It is hard for people who don't regularly follow the Panthers to understand the value of Jake Delhomme. In fact, it's hard for many Panther fans to understand it. Let me spell it out this way:

If my team has the ball with less than 3 minutes to play, and the score is either tied, or we are within one score, Jake Delhomme would be my second choice among all active NFL quarterbacks to lead my team on the next drive (Tom Brady is the first)

Jake doesn't put up flashy numbers, and for the first 3 quarters, he is a moderately serviceable average QB. But nobody wins games like Jake. This is especially true in big games. When the Giants tied the game with about 2:30 to play, my first reaction was dismay. This was quickly followed with the statement, "That's OK. We're going to win. This is Jake's time. I'm not even worried. He'll get us within field goal range, and Kasay will boot us home." Of course, Kasay missed the 50-yarder for only his second miss of the season, and we lost. Jake also engineered the drive to beat the Pats in the Super Bowl, but a muffed kickoff by Kasay and a lousy defensive stand against the NFL's best QB sealed our fate. If/when the Panthers lose, it will be on the shoulders of their defense (except the LBs), not Jake.

Interestingly, there is a new kid in town who, in my opinion, will eclipse both Brady and Delhomme in this regard. I think Matt Ryan will prove to be the ultimate gamer of his generation.

I know it sounds laughable to people who are only familiar with Jake's stats. But trust me. In the most important situations, almost nobody performs at his level.

As far as this being a "pukey year".... I dunno.. The NFL returns an incredibly large percentage of its starters from year-to-year. Seems to me it's mostly the same guys playing this year as were playing last year. Better parity doesn't necessarily mean that the product is of a lower quality.
    Oh yeah... and the Chargers are the best 8-8 team ever. They had some ridiculous misfortune back-to-back-to-back. They were better than their record. Not much better, mind you. I still believe in the premise that great teams find ways to win those games.
    dutyje:
    I disagree with most of that, Luko. It is hard for people who don't regularly follow the Panthers to understand the value of Jake Delhomme. In fact, it's hard for many Panther fans to understand it. Let me spell it out this way:

If my team has the ball with less than 3 minutes to play, and the score is either tied, or we are within one score, Jake Delhomme would be my second choice among all active NFL quarterbacks to lead my team on the next drive (Tom Brady is the first)

Jake doesn't put up flashy numbers, and for the first 3 quarters, he is a moderately serviceable average QB. But nobody wins games like Jake. This is especially true in big games. When the Giants tied the game with about 2:30 to play, my first reaction was dismay. This was quickly followed with the statement, "That's OK. We're going to win. This is Jake's time. I'm not even worried. He'll get us within field goal range, and Kasay will boot us home." Of course, Kasay missed the 50-yarder for only his second miss of the season, and we lost. Jake also engineered the drive to beat the Pats in the Super Bowl, but a muffed kickoff by Kasay and a lousy defensive stand against the NFL's best QB sealed our fate. If/when the Panthers lose, it will be on the shoulders of their defense (except the LBs), not Jake.

Interestingly, there is a new kid in town who, in my opinion, will eclipse both Brady and Delhomme in this regard. I think Matt Ryan will prove to be the ultimate gamer of his generation.

I know it sounds laughable to people who are only familiar with Jake's stats. But trust me. In the most important situations, almost nobody performs at his level.

As far as this being a "pukey year".... I dunno.. The NFL returns an incredibly large percentage of its starters from year-to-year. Seems to me it's mostly the same guys playing this year as were playing last year. Better parity doesn't necessarily mean that the product is of a lower quality.
    It's your fantasy, you take who would want. I might agree with Brady, or I might go with Manning. Then again, maybe Ben?

From MSN...
    The game-winning drive must be a fourth-quarter drive that either wins the game or ties it for an ultimate victory. It's not an official NFL stat, but unofficially Elway has the most at 47 and that's never been disputed.

It may never be approached either, but there's one fellow who is off to a good start. He, too, wears No. 7, mainly because he loved John Elway. Ben Roethlisberger, the quarterback fastest to win 50 NFL games, has 18 winning touc hdown drives (including one in the playoffs), five of them this season.

Elway's rate of GWTDs during his 16-year career was 2.9 per season. Roethlisberger, with at least three games left in this season, has a rate of 3.6.

dutyje:
    Oh yeah... and the Chargers are the best 8-8 team ever. They had some ridiculous misfortune back-to-back-to-back. They were better than their record. Not much better, mind you. I still believe in the premise that great teams find ways to win those games.
    Isn't that like being the tallest midget. They're OK. I think they also got overhyped going down the stretch there a bit.
    Jake Delhomme isn't as much of a liability as some people would like to think he is but I sure wouldn't put him in the top two probably not even the top 5 QBs in the NFL to lead a 2 minute drill. IMO it would be Peyton, Rivers, Big Ben, Brees and Brady not neccessarily in that order. Then we could start talking about Delhomme and the rest.

The Chargers are one of the most talented teams in the NFL but as long as Norv Turner is at the helm they're destined for mediocrity. Making the playoffs is one of the worst things that could have happened to the Chargers, it means at least one more year of Smith and Turner. One more year of watching one of the greatest NFL RBs not getting any closer to that ring that he deserves.
    madurofan:
    Jake Delhomme isn't as much of a liability as some people would like to think he is but I sure wouldn't put him in the top two probably not even the top 5 QBs in the NFL to lead a 2 minute drill. IMO it would be Peyton, Rivers, Big Ben, Brees and Brady not neccessarily in that order. Then we could start talking about Delhomme and the rest.

The Chargers are one of the most talented teams in the NFL but as long as Norv Turner is at the helm they're destined for mediocrity. Making the playoffs is one of the worst things that could have happened to the Chargers, it means at least one more year of Smith and Turner. One more year of watching one of the greatest NFL RBs not getting any closer to that ring that he deserves.
    Couldn't agree more with the second paragraph. Turner is a major liability and a playoff win means they're stuck with him.

2 min drill, I'm going Brady, Manning, Ben in that order. After that, I can't rank them beyond saying I'd want Brees, Rivers, Delhomme, maybe Eli, McNabb, I dunno? Shoot, I might want to go with Rodgers or Matt Ryan.
    Luko:
    madurofan:

Couldn't agree more with the second paragraph. Turner is a major liability and a playoff win means they're stuck with him.

2 min drill, I'm going Brady, Manning, Ben in that order. After that, I can't rank them beyond saying I'd want Brees, Rivers, Delhomme, maybe Eli, McNabb, I dunno? Shoot, I might want to go with Rodgers or Matt Ryan.
    I would never under any circumstances tke Eli Manning to be my QB in any situation. He's making a living off his last name and one play where his receiver made an unbelievable catch on a poorly thrown ball.
    madurofan:
    Luko:
    madurofan:

I would never under any circumstances tke Eli Manning to be my QB in any situation. He's making a living off his last name and one play where his receiver made an unbelievable catch on a poorly thrown ball.
    You're nuts man...he's not Peyton, but he's certainly in the top half of QBs in the league. He's progressed a lot in the last year or two.
    Luko:
    madurofan:
    Luko:
    madurofan:

You're nuts man...he's not Peyton, but he's certainly in the top half of QBs in the league. He's progressed a lot in the last year or two.
    He's garbage. He's Rex Grossman on a better team. Look at his Super Bowl year IDENTICAL stats to Rexy in his Super Bowl year. He's inaccurate, he's overrated and most importantly he's a coward. He never steps into a throw if he's being rushed. He throws it off his back foot while ducking and covering. I'd put a 14 year old girl in at QB before I'd play him. I'm dead serious I would.
    dutyje:
    If/when the Panthers lose, it will be on the shoulders of their defense (except the LBs), not Jake.
    May I remind you that I am a professional analyst :)
    dutyje:
    dutyje:
    If/when the Panthers lose, it will be on the shoulders of their defense (except the LBs), not Jake.
    For now. Man you were pretty far off.

On a positive note, Eli went out and proved my point. When it came down to it and they needed him to dig deep and go down and score, he chokes.
  • dep691dep691 Posts: 311

madurofan:
    dutyje:
    dutyje:
    For now. Man you were pretty far off.

On a positive note, Eli went out and proved my point. When it came down to it and they needed him to dig deep and go down and score, he chokes.

LOL yea he did. The Steelers all the way!

• Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    madurofan:
    The Chargers are one of the most talented teams in the NFL but as long as Norv Turner is at the helm they're destined for mediocrity.
    Better than with Marty Schottenheimer, one more year of Martyball and I'd have gone down to San Diego and strangled him myself.

I really have no clue as to what the heck we are doing next season, we got LT injured, hopefully not bad, Merriman's back but is he going to be as effective as he was last season? Most likely not. Frankly, as long as Sproles gets more playing time as a back, I'm happy.

As for the teams left, I'm rooting for anyone who isn't in an Eagles uniform.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I wonder if Sproles can handle a lot of carries over the course of an entire season and stay healthy.
    Garen B:
    madurofan:
    The Chargers are one of the most talented teams in the NFL but as long as Norv Turner is at the helm they're destined for mediocrity.
    Better than with Marty Schottenheimer, one more year of Martyball and I'd have gone down to San Diego and strangled him myself.

I really have no clue as to what the heck we are doing next season, we got LT injured, hopefully not bad, Merriman's back but is he going to be as effective as he was last season? Most likely not. Frankly, as long as Sproles gets more playing time as a back, I'm happy.

As for the teams left, I'm rooting for anyone who isn't in an Eagles uniform.
    I disagree. Marty was way too conservative and it always cost him in the playoffs when he'd refuse to go for the jugular and watched teams come from behind to beat him every year. However, Norv is just flat a bad coach, forget about the playoffs next year with Norv at the helm. No way 8-8 gets you in 2 years in a row.