Home Non Cigar Related

iPhone died... what do I get now?

robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
yeah, I dropped it and the screen turned white... it's some kind of LED hardware issue... by no means am I going to get it fixed... I am due an upgrade at AT&T so I'm going to get something new...

I'm looking at getting the Motorola Atrix 4G... looks pretty sweet and coming form the iPhone 3g, it has a lot of upgrades for me...

I know there are some teck folks out there... any feedback on AT&T smartphones? Is there another one I should be looking at?

things I need from a new phone:
3.5mm audio jack - this is key because my car doesn't have bluetooth, but it has an mp3 jack
email... needs to be organized
good camera... i find I use my phone more than my actual camera for pics
turn by turn GPS - apparently there is a free android ap that offers this
good mp3 interface

so my needs are minimal... any thoughts?

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    robbyras:
    good mp3 interface

There's also a free app for the iPhone - doesn't need to be android.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    jlmarta:
    robbyras:
    good mp3 interface

There's also a free app for the iPhone - doesn't need to be android.
    can you tell i'm on the cutting edge? Ever since I started working from home, my phone and it's functions have become less important to me... so I guess I never research what is available...
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    I would go Android...I'm a big Motorola fan, very high powered phones and average battery life(just buy the ext. version) or Samsung isn't bad, but the stock software is pretty rough, rooting is a necessity, HTC is good all around, not very high powered but a solid OS overall
    thanks Shaun... like the avatar... looks like a nice collection
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    A life? Ba-dum...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My iPhone took a swim this weekend...I'm completely lost without it! I've gotten to where I hate using the computer and rely on my phone for everything!

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Ken Light:
    A life? Ba-dum...
    Ba-zing!
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    If you can do a contract renewal go that way and get a discount. If not check out swappa.com I got my droid there for a nice discount.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    wait till sept and get an iphone 5....then get an otter box case ;)

"Long ashes my friends."

• I have the iPhone 3GS currently I was thinking of going to the atrix aswell
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Sony Xperia X10
    8.1mp camera with 720p video
    3.5mm jack
    Gmail and Outlook
    Droid 2.1 platform (less bugs than 2.2)
    tons of apps from Google
    you can take the memory with you to the next phone which you can't do with an Iphone as well as you can upgrade you memory on every droid with a simple MicroSD card change.
    Double Twist player app interfaces with all your existing Itunes stuff so transfer is easy and free.
    I like Apple products but the Droid stuff is so much easier to get apps for and you can do what you want since it's an open platform. Apple means dealing with the Apple ***
  • i switched from an iphone 3gs, to an HTC inspire which i wouldnt recommend, ive replaced it twice already, once for parts falling off, and once for an OS crash... its not all that great when it works either. ive regretting not keeping my iphone ever since.. i looked into the atrix the reviews werent so great (this was also when it first came out) but right now, if money was no option i would try the atrix and if i didnt like it then id go back to my iphone.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    If your contract is going to expire soon, look to another carrier. I'm not sure how at&t stacks up around your area but from their business practices and their network as a whole (which is horrible all over) you might be better off. I know verizon started cutting up their plans as well, so sprint is the only one that truly has an unlimited data/voice plan. And they are cheaper. of course I have no idea how sprint is in your area.

I haven't heard many good things about the atrix or the inspire. The epic is a good phone, that I know for sure. if you don't like the keyboard slider the evo is a good phone, I'm on one. the galaxy s2 is another good phone, one I'm on the fence about. Once you get a good android phone, and learn how to root it an such, you'll never look back at the iphone.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    wait till sept and get an iphone 5....then get an otter box case ;)
    lol, wasn't it the iphone 7?
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    My thread: http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/315371.aspx

I'm excited about the HTC Vigor coming in October (Ruby on T-Mobile); 15 Ghz, 720p screen, 8 megapixel back camera - thing looks amazing. Plus, HTC has one of the quickest turn around times for releasing the newest version of Android on their phones

I'm going with Verizon for their coverage and 4G, and haven't really looked at ATT or Sprint, so I can't help you there, but I'm ruling out the Droid Bionic because of Moto's history of abandoning their products after a year (Google, IMO, bought them for their patent portfolio and nothing else, so they have no intention of helping their business/phone development; link for what converted my thinking: http://daringfireball.net/2011/08/balls

I ruled out Samsung Galaxy S 2 because, even though it's been called the best smartphone on the planet, and rumors suggest that a 4G version will be released in the US next to the Bionic launch, Samsung is one of the slowest to release the newest Android versions, and they come with tons of bloatware ( I REALLY want Ice Cream Sandwich, which is supposed to harmonize apps across Android smartphones and tablets, so the apps will run on both)

Anyway, that's my reasoning; good luck to you in your search

wow... that is some deep knowledge xmarco! you know your stuff!

I'm giving the Motorola Atrix 4G a test drive... it's my first time using any smartphone other then the iPhone so the learning curve is there... so far I love it... the only Issue I am running into is getting my music from iTunes on to the phone... as far as I can tell, it won't sync... although I am running a iMac at home so that doesn't help... there seemed to be some software included when i hooked the phone up to my iMac, but it's a windows based program and I can't get it to open... only had the phone for about 5 hours so I'll get there...