Home General Discussion

Irene... And the Bahamas

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
My child bride and I have a short, 4-day cruise to the Bahamas booked which leaves Miami on the morning of Sept. 10 headed first to Freeport. Nassau is also on our itinerary. While in Nassau we plan to check out Graycliff. If any of you BOTL's have been there and have any advice or travel tips regarding Graycliff or Nassau, please feel free to share. We've not been there before.

Also, any past experiences you may have had with that part of the world during hurricane season would be appreciated. I'm principally concerned about the potential timing between Irene and whichever one might come next. Not overly concerned but slightly.

Thanks, guys...

Comments

• grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    I hope you and your wife have a good time Marty. Keep an eye southward and skyward.
    the trip to Graycliff should be fun. Be sure to take some pics and post!
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I've taken cruises in hurricane season before, in the Bahamas, and out of Miami. It's usually not a big deal at all. At worst, you might get and extra day out on the boat, or have to spend time in doors. The thing to remember about that area of the world is that the weather can change on a dime. The hurricane probably increases that. So as long as you're willing to adapt, I wouldn't sweat it. There's usually so much to do on those boats that it shouldn't be hard to find something to do. Cigar Lounge time?

I remember being on Miami beach in 2008 when Gustav was doing it's thing in that part of the world, and it would get cloudy and rainy suddenly, so we would head into the hotel room for a while. A few hours later it was sunny again and we were back out on the beach. We were hanging out in Miami for a few days before our cruise, which went fine.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    A cruise ship, in port, is the coolest way to watch a hurricane.
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Any chance I could arrange for some fresh cigars from the factory
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lakota72:

PM me, bro. Maybe I can help.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    *Presses play to "Riders of the Storm"
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Lakota72: