Home Cigar 101

Beetles or is it just me freaking

JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
I opened up one of my humidors and see this small puncture mark. I didnt notice it before so it couldve been there before but does it look like a beetle hole? Photobucket
"Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky

Comments

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    My limited experience says no but segregate as a precaution. All beetle damage I have had, the holes were much cleaner and not ragged. That looks like handling damage but I will defer to the wiser bros on here.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen beetle damage before. If anyone has pics of it I think most people would like to know what it looks like.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I've never had experience with beetles (knock on wood), so my opinion on it ain't worth squat. BUT, I agree with Flagypsy - the pics I've seen of beetle holes are very round, not ragged like these. Plus, these look like the holes are punched in. Beetle holes would appear to be punched out, would they not? Either way, I will defer to the more experienced BOTLs here, but I would probably segregate just to be safe.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    The one on the left may be, I agree with the earlier posts that the one on the right is possibly just damage. Is this the only one with pin sized holes? Are these the only holes in this cigar? Also, is there any very small tobacco flaks in the bottom of your humi? That might suggest that you have beetle activity too.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    What were the conditions in the humi where it was stored (temp and rh)? Did you have a situation where is was conducive to beetles hatching/mating? If you never had a spike in temp and rH, I'd think you're safe. If it were me, I'd still pull it just to be safe.....it's better to be safe than sorry.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I had it happen the holes were perfectly round so I don't think so. I would segregate if you have any suspicion and be sure to exam the rest of your sticks. Another sign is if under the cigar you see a fine almost powder tobacco. I found the beetles in my humidor and had the telltale signs of powdery tobacco residue. My temps got around 85 degrees so I now keep my humidors in my basement.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    From my own personal experience Beetle holes are the size of a BIC pen head and are as close to a perfect circle as you can get, and the Tobacco "DUST" in your humi (not Flakes) is a good indication as well as to beetles.

I wouldn't think you have beetles unless you tap out the hole and one falls out for it wasn't done eating it's way out yet, but I wouldn't think so.

I would smoke that cigar next and if the draw is super loose and it burns like hell, then it's riddled with beetle holes, if it smokes fine, then it was just damage and you get to enjoy a fine cigar
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Just curious is that a cameroon or habano wrapper?
  • chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    Im with everyone else on the whole Beetle holes are perfectly round thing ( from experience) for what it's worth.
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all. I believe its just damage because I checked all of the other cigars and nothin else has holes. At The Kid it is a Maduro wrapper I believe. Gurkha Empire Series.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    This sort of thing freaks me out. I had a nightmare last night about getting hit with the dreaded beetles...
    The Kid:
    Just curious is that a cameroon or habano wrapper?
    i was wrong. it is habano. i forgot which number it was lol.
  • grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    Glad to hear that its not beetles! That would have been horrible.
    Well it wouldnt have been too bad. I have 4 separate humidors. I would've possibly lost 20 sticks. Would have been bad yes but not devastating. Thanks for the concern though! I am relieved that it is just wear and tear.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I'm 99.9% sure that's handling damage. I wouldn't worry about it too much, like the others said separate and see what happens.

"Long ashes my friends."

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I hear they have a sweet taste.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    beetle threats are one of the many reasons I keep mine in the cello!
    BigT06:
    Me too. Frankly, I'm a little disappointed when cigars show up cello free... even if it does make them look better.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    JudoChinX:
    BigT06:
    Me too. Frankly, I'm a little disappointed when cigars show up cello free... even if it does make them look better.
    Cellophane does absolutely nothing to protect your cigars from beetles. cellophane is made from cellulose-- basically the same material as all plants and leaves. tobacco beetles chew through that like they would the wrapper leaf of your cigar. Cello on or Cello off, your cigars have the exact same chances of getting beetles.

ive seen cigars with beetle holes in them that have cello on them. the holes go out of the cigar then directly above that is the exact same size and shape hole in the cellophane.

What have you done to my false sense of security!?
    kuzi16:
    JudoChinX:
    BigT06:
    Cellophane does absolutely nothing to protect your cigars from beetles. cellophane is made from cellulose-- basically the same material as all plants and leaves. tobacco beetles chew through that like they would the wrapper leaf of your cigar. Cello on or Cello off, your cigars have the exact same chances of getting beetles.

ive seen cigars with beetle holes in them that have cello on them. the holes go out of the cigar then directly above that is the exact same size and shape hole in the cellophane.

thanks, kuzi, now my paranoia has reached the next level. Lol! At least now I know the truth... Either way, cello helps me sleep at night... And like i said, there are many reasons I keep it on. I guess I will just have to cross beetle stoppage off that list... I hate beetles. A lot.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    kuzi16:
    JudoChinX:
    BigT06:

thanks, kuzi, now my paranoia has reached the next level. Lol! At least now I know the truth... Either way, cello helps me sleep at night... And like i said, there are many reasons I keep it on. I guess I will just have to cross beetle stoppage off that list... I hate beetles. A lot.
    just keep the temp below 73 and the rh below 70. you will not have beetles if you do those two things.
    kuzi16:
    BigT06:
    kuzi16:
    JudoChinX:
    BigT06:

just keep the temp below 73 and the rh below 70. you will not have beetles if you do those two things.
    If prevention isn't the most appealing option, there's always a backup plan: bug bomb.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mmmm yummy.
    kuzi16:
    BigT06:
    kuzi16:
    JudoChinX:
    BigT06:

That is the plan 100%. I got a couple new fans for my office just for the humis for when the a/c can't keep up with the raging sun...

but I am finding that most of sticks prefer 66-67% RH now ( I used to keep all of my humis at 70%), and now, only my smallest desktop (40 or 50 count) is set at 70.

I am hoping that dropping the RH a few% will help as well.

as always, thanks kuzi. you should write a book, it would be much simpler to use than searching through all your old posts for info. lol
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, pulled out a puros indios viejo toro 1st tonight, start smoking it and see a pinhole with smoke coming out, was a perfect round pinhead hole, looked at all my cigars and didnt see anymore in that humi but ziplocked all in that humi and in the freezer they went for a 3 day ride ,then to the fridge for a day. dint notice any dust etc, lying in the wrapper or humi but why take a chance, they was another puros next to it that looked ok, these cigars came without cello and i keep plenty cellos from cigars i smoke to put all mine in before they go into the humi also, so maybe it got poked as i see no other signs of beetlemania, maybe i be freking too, bottom of the humi looked clean , but will rewipe it down also
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    jj20030:
    well, pulled out a puros indios viejo toro 1st tonight, start smoking it and see a pinhole with smoke coming out, was a perfect round pinhead hole, looked at all my cigars and didnt see anymore in that humi but ziplocked all in that humi and in the freezer they went for a 3 day ride ,then to the fridge for a day. dint notice any dust etc, lying in the wrapper or humi but why take a chance, they was another puros next to it that looked ok,

Well played. You did the right thing!
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521

Muahahaha
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    docbp87 that is just mean! Freaking horror film stuff
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I don't usually have a verbal reaction to a post, but this one made me exclaim "Oh FVCK ! " Thanks, now I have to do another inspection.