Home Non Cigar Related

Hunting

ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
I know it's still a little early to be talking about deer season, but I'm wondering who else here hunts? I've never successfully hunted big game, just rabbits & birds, but I plan to change that this fall.

Here is a photo I took of a 9 point buck, a spike, and a doe on a recent trip to my godmothers house in Oklahoma. I'm thinking about going back around Thanksgiving to go after the 9 pointer.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    nice. i usually go for small game. rabbit, squirrel, quail, and the like. im a natural at hunting rabbits. squirrel.... not so much. those guys are hard core.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Is this the part where I say "Milf"?
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Is this the part where I say "Milf"?
    Big game, like cougar.

I have hunted small game and hunt deer every fall with my old man and a group of friends...this fall am going to do some turkey hunting too. Last year I went on a pheasant/quail/chucker hunt on a preserve with a guide who had a dog. One great thing about hunting...lots of good chances to have a cigar and get others interested in good cigars.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I miss hunting! I haven't been in several years, but used to hunt dove, quail, deer, and wild hogs. I want to go dove hunting again very bad. I got a beautiful Browning Citori over and under 12ga. that my grandfather bought in 1976 brand new and it has never been fired. He wanted me to have it for a good hunting gun and I haven't had a chance to go since I got it 4 years ago after he passed away.
  • HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    We just moved to an 18 acre plot which is part of an old farm property. The other morning my father and I were out front (maybe 7-7:30am) and we saw to 6-7 point bucks. I saw another buck a few weeks ago that was a small 2 point.

We have lots of doe running around the land too. We can't wait for season to open!

Also, there are always geese on our land because he have two small ponds. A new gamo gun was bought to take care of them :-D
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Hugemoose:
    We just moved to an 18 acre plot which is part of an old farm property. The other morning my father and I were out front (maybe 7-7:30am) and we saw to 6-7 point bucks. I saw another buck a few weeks ago that was a small 2 point.

We have lots of doe running around the land too. We can't wait for season to open!

Also, there are always geese on our land because he have two small ponds. A new gamo gun was bought to take care of them :-D
    Nice, I'm jealous. What part of the country are you in?
    PuroFreak:
    I got a beautiful Browning Citori over and under 12ga. that my grandfather bought in 1976 brand new and it has never been fired. He wanted me to have it for a good hunting gun and I haven't had a chance to go since I got it 4 years ago after he passed away.
    That's something to be proud of. What are you waiting for, take a trip to the trap range.

I've wanted an o/u for a long time, so I bought a Beretta 686 a few months ago but I haven't had a chance to take it out either. I'm looking for the next free weekend.
    Scrambler:
    Hugemoose:

Nice, I'm jealous. What part of the country are you in?
    We are about an hour north of Philadelphia, PA. We aren't out in the country, but it surrounds us. They basically loop through our property and man others on a regular basis. It's a pretty well kept secret that there are big deer in our area.

Although, our first day of open season is going to be walking the land to keep people off.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I used to go hunting with my old man back in the day. I never liked all the walking that was involved, but I have fond memories of those times. as time went on I got into computers more and more and didnt get much out of hunting anymore. havent been hunting or camping in years. gonna have to do somthing about that soon, the camping part that is.

we hunted all kinds, deer, bore, varment, water fowl, pheasant. I think the funniest memory I have is approaching the end of a large field, my dad 30 yards away up on a hill, me still in the brush. he moves down or throws a rock or somthing, about 50 pheasants pop up and come flying at me. I was awe struck by the beauty I didnt even get one shot off lol. all the while my dad screaming shoot them! shoot them!!!
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    that buck will make a nice piece of wall art ...... and i'll bet my humi that he'll taste gooooooooooooooood
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I used to hunt alot back in the day ...now I can mostly be found hunting my car keys, the tv remote, new B&M's , good cigar deals ......wheres my damn lighter !!!
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    I have to disagree with Scrambler on this one.  Its never to early to start talking about deer hunting.  I got skunked durring the first week of shotgun season here in Ohio but I am looking forward to this weekend for the added 2 days.  I hope to fill my freezer with venison.  I had to put in too much work helping my brother get his deer out of the woods this year to not have one of my own. 
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    save some for me. ill be over for dinner.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I hunt, for the right steak already butchered and wrapped.
    I used to hunt back in the day but in Oregon the deer aren't as plentiful as they are in other areas of the nation. I never got anything so I gave up. Nothing against hunting, but I just spend my time doing other stuff. I do enjoy some good venison though, especially when my father in law makes jerky out of it. We do have a good amount of elk here, but again, never really got into it.
    I had a decent hunting season...have a freezer full of pheasant, quail and venison.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    lions and tigers and bears...oh my...and of course....COUGARS!!!!
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    I just got back from a pheasant hunt. Got 6 birds (I would have gotten 7, but my dog got one while I was reloading.)
    Well since everything opened up around here, two buck have been shot (with a bow) and not killed. One by one of my fathers friends and another one by my brother. The only problem with our property is it is surrounded by townhouses at one end and a main road at the other. So even though it is 19 acres, we can't use to a gun for safety's sake (100 yards in every direction to use a rifle).

So no deer, yet, but it has been lots of fun watching them.

My brother sat in the tree stand for 2 hours one morning and just watched an 8 point buck. Said it was absolutely amazing and he was actually quite glad that he didn't have the bow with him.

Although they do eat all the flowers near the house.......
    I ended up spending 4 days over Thanksgiving week sitting in the same spot that picture was taken. Three of the days I didn't see anything during legal shooting hours. The other day I saw 9 does, but it was a buck only day. The only buck I saw the whole time was about 2 hours after dark.
  • BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    Scrambler:
    I ended up spending 4 days over Thanksgiving week sitting in the same spot that picture was taken. Three of the days I didn't see anything during legal shooting hours. The other day I saw 9 does, but it was a buck only day. The only buck I saw the whole time was about 2 hours after dark.
    They know when to be on the down-low. I used to hunt deer every year and it always amazed me how their behavior changed (in ways unrelated to the rut) when the weather became colder. They are very intelligent animals!
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    BStayer:
    Scrambler:
    They know when to be on the down-low. I used to hunt deer every year and it always amazed me how their behavior changed (in ways unrelated to the rut) when the weather became colder. They are very intelligent animals!
    They sure are. I have trail cams set up where I hunt, and all year long.... buck after buck walk all over my property. But, sure enough, when the season opens, none to be found. I only saw one worth shooting but it was too far to get a decent shot off.

I'm going out again for an "antlerless only" season next month. Hopefully I'll get a nice doe for some meat. I make some killer deer sausage.....
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Been a while since this thread was used, but with fall approaching was wondering who here likes to hunt. When I was in my late 20's I used to go bird hunting quite often, quail, pheasant and turkey. Bout five years ago, I got into deer hunting, Mule & White Tail, and have bagged a deer (whitetail) each time Ive been out. I havent been out the last 3 seasons. We'd gut and skin them immediately, some of the guys aged and de-boned the meat on their own. I would take mine to a butcher and have them process it, would have them turn it into German Sausage, Peperoni Sticks, Jerky, Burger and Steaks (backstraps, loin, and sirloin). I would even cut, cure and then smoke some of the steaks into homemade Jerky,,man it was good..But the Mrs. (at the time) and the kids didnt ever want to eat it, only because it was venison. On occassion I would make tacos or spaghetti using the deer burger and no one would be the wiser except me..Purley a mental thing for em.
    Anyway, I used a remington 700 BDL 30/06 with a leupold scope.
    Now thinking of purchasing a Bow and going that route any other bow hunters here? Oh BTW prefer Elk over Deer any day of the week..
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    I hope to get back in the woods this fall/winter. I miss going after whitetail. That and turkey.
  • greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    Here in Illinois, what ever flies dies and flops drops. Duck, goose, whitetail, pheasants, dove, turkey.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    I used to hunt alot back in the day ...now I can mostly be found hunting my car keys, the tv remote, new B&M's , good cigar deals ......wheres my damn lighter !!!

"Back in the day" fits my description to a "T". Not many of us oldfarts get out there any more.

Side note: you guys back east always confuse me talking about 6 point, 7 point bucks. I have to stop and think for a minute - Oh, Yeah, they're using 'eastern count'. Out here we only count the points on one side. 'Course, if one side has 3 points and the other side has 4, we'll usually fudge and call it a 4-point. LOL
  • ug danug dan Posts: 375
    I got my antelope sunday. Now i have a cow elk tag in December to wait for!
    jlmarta:
    gmill880:

"Back in the day" fits my description to a "T". Not many of us oldfarts get out there any more.

Side note: you guys back east always confuse me talking about 6 point, 7 point bucks. I have to stop and think for a minute - Oh, Yeah, they're using 'eastern count'. Out here we only count the points on one side. 'Course, if one side has 3 points and the other side has 4, we'll usually fudge and call it a 4-point. LOL
    Yea, same here, although we usually state both sides, like "I shot a 4x4", I dont count the eyeguards either, some do if there over an inch. Nothin like taking a chainsaw to a deer skull to knock the antlers off.. lol
    ug dan:
    I got my antelope sunday. Now i have a cow elk tag in December to wait for!
    Good Luck, What did you use for the Antelope?
    I hunt whitetail here in PA...not bow I'd like to at some point. I shoot a .270. I also so some small game hunting and also like to bird hunt, mostly pheasant and quail. My buddy is supposed to take me on my first ever duck hunt this fall.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never been much of a hunter. But I do like shooting. I keep meaning to get a scope on my 22 and doing some squirrel hunting. I love them but I've never liked the taste of deer or elk.