Home Non Cigar Related

Cisco Certs

Hey guys...I'm seeking some advice/help here. I am trying to study and a get my CCNA. Does anyone have any training material or anything of that nature that may help me along. Anything would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I'm on the software side of things, rather than the hardware/networking, so I don't have any materials for you. Just wanted to say: good for you!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    urby what kind of software? I work with hardware and networking, in fact build computers and networks. I also do home theater things such as calibration and audio set ups, though computers are my main focus. In part I'm working on my microsoft cert. Andy, I'm not certified with cisco or anything but my knowledge comes from "in the field" and my own research. I might be able to answer some questions but I don't really have any study material.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Can't help with that but can help with best wishes Andy
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    phobicsquirrel:
    urby what kind of software? I work with hardware and networking, in fact build computers and networks. I also do home theater things such as calibration and audio set ups, though computers are my main focus. In part I'm working on my microsoft cert. Andy, I'm not certified with cisco or anything but my knowledge comes from "in the field" and my own research. I might be able to answer some questions but I don't really have any study material.
    I got a lot of field experience also. But my basis is in Telecom/Telephony which is now heading down the IP path so to get my CCNA/CCVA will help in my career moving upward. Thanks for the encouragement y'all.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Ah, yeah it will. VOIP is the way of the future/now. Good luck, I know I hate studying.. lol
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I used to do software work for the telecoms, Andy. Mostly GTE/Verizon (even Genuity -- remember the black rockets?), but a little for Southwestern Bell, too, and some regional companies. Which one do you work for?

Feebs, I'm an architect/senior developer at a Boeing subsidiary. These days, my time is largely spent on web services.
    I used to work for BellSouth but I have ventured elsewhere doing other things. I am a phoneman at heart though that is why I am looking into getting these certs.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I'd offer up my Cisco stuff but its fairly outdated now. I never ended up sitting for the test bc I went the software direction but I've taken a few Cisco classes. I know a handful of people that have taken it and have never heard of anyone passing it without taking the Cisco Academy classes. I know my local community college offers them.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    i got my ccna about 6 years ago, ill send you my books if you want them, but im sure a lot has changed. I dont know where my router simulator software is now. you should be able to find a good router sim that will give you 3 routers and a few switches to play with and make a virtual 3 site wan.
    it has completely changed, they changed it last year. Its now in 2 sections. Its a bit much at times. I may just go take the class.
  • sanesane Posts: 151
    I have a CCNA and some others, I would recommend getting the study guide released by Sybex.
    I would also say get your hands on some equipment or some emulators so you can get familiar with the command line.

Not to say your wasting your time but I have found that most entry level certs such as the CCNA are ignored by employers, unless the employer is some small time home town operation. If you want to continue the cert route I would recommend once you get your CCNA start working on getting a upper level cert and I would definitely look into VoIP certs.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Bad Andy:
    Hey guys...I'm seeking some advice/help here. I am trying to study and a get my CCNA. Does anyone have any training material or anything of that nature that may help me along. Anything would be appreciated. Thanks.
    I have a shitload of material but it is all for the 607 test. I may have some for the 801 test too but I don;t think I have anything for the 802 test. I had my CCNA back in 2002 and lost it because I did not recertify. I have been working on the Microsoft exams. Working on Exchange 2007 now. Have most everything else from Microsoft that I want. After I finish with Exchange, I am most likely going to go back into the Cisco stuff. It's just hard to study when you are working on a graduate degree. Sucks!

PM me your email and I'll shoot you off a site that you may be able to get some study materials from. I'll also take a look and see what I still have.
    madurofan:
    I'd offer up my Cisco stuff but its fairly outdated now. I never ended up sitting for the test bc I went the software direction but I've taken a few Cisco classes. I know a handful of people that have taken it and have never heard of anyone passing it without taking the Cisco Academy classes. I know my local community college offers them.
    I took those adacemy classes and they definately did NOT prepare me for the test. I bought myself a few routers and switches and used the transcenders to pass, but that was back in 2002 when the test changed from 507 to 607.
    rwheelwright:
    madurofan:
    I took those adacemy classes and they definately did NOT prepare me for the test. I bought myself a few routers and switches and used the transcenders to pass, but that was back in 2002 when the test changed from 507 to 607.
    heh I guess everyone has their own way.
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:
    madurofan:
    It may have been that my teacher sucked too. She was clueless. She almost called tech support because she could not connect to the routers. She was flipping out. When I asked how she was connecting them she said "from the NIC to the console port". I had to remind her that she had to use the serial port and not the NIC. She was like "Oh Yeah!" Some teacher!
    rwheelwright:
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:
    madurofan:
    It may have been that my teacher sucked too. She was clueless. She almost called tech support because she could not connect to the routers. She was flipping out. When I asked how she was connecting them she said "from the NIC to the console port". I had to remind her that she had to use the serial port and not the NIC. She was like "Oh Yeah!" Some teacher!
    *shaking head* Those that can't do ...