Home General Discussion

Cabinet humi

madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
Has anyone built their own humidor here?

I've been thinking more and more that I want to build a cabinet humidor rather than just buy one. However, I've got an interesting twist. I want to take an old armoire or hutch and convert it. Line the interior with Spanish cedar, convert the doors to glass and create a seal on them. I just think it could be fun and then I'd be able to design it exactly how I want.

My thought is to have drawers made of spanish cedar that will roll in and out for singles and then blank space for boxes. Then a non-humidified drawer or two for accessories, pipes, etc. Kind of my all in one tobacco center.

Comments

• PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    That is a good idea Maddy, I've considered making my own Humi, but not on that large of a scale... Could be a lot of fun though and it would be unique for sure!
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Not quite this ugly but something similar to this. http://norfolk.craigslist.org/fuo/1002793711.html

I'd change the doors so that they were glass and I'd make sure the piece of furniture was solid oak or something like it.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I have absolutely no skill when it comes to building things, unless it is a PC or Server.
    Its all about not being scared to try. I've just kind of taught myself how to do everything else, I figure how hard could this be?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the double door will be a nightmare to seal.

If you can take them off and replace with a single door it may go a bit smoother.

while you are at it, make sure to put some very low heat light bulbs in there (make sure they put out pure white light as well)
    and since you already have electricity in there, might as well have an outlet or two in there for your oasis and fans (i suggest the fans that are used in computers. they take up very little space and run fairly quietly)

where ya planning on getting the wood? online or at a wood shop?
    Thanks for the ideas kuz. I've being chatting with a guy that built this. He gave me the idea of putting a piece of molding on the inside of the door to create a seal but that will only work if there is a divider between the two doors.

Great idea on the low heat bulbs, LED maybe? WHy pure white? Either computer fans or the plug in Oust fans.

THere is an exoctic wood place near my house that carries Spanish cedar planks. Also check this out.
    a pure white light give a good color. the hue of cigars changes depending on the light. white light they look the best.
    kuzi16:
    a pure white light give a good color. the hue of cigars changes depending on the light. white light they look the best.
    Good to know. Pure white bulbs are the blue ones normally aren't they?
    if im not mistaken they are listed as "daylight"

i may be wrong.
    Cool I use daylight bulbs in both of my bathrooms. The wife has decided her face looks best in that light, i don't know, has somethign to do with putting on her makeup.
    just the turest color.

Thats cool. So what do you think of my idea? Using an old hutch or armoire. Do you forsee any other issues?
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I've thought about getting one of those led rope lights or something for mine.
    The only problem I can think of with using an old hutch or armoire is a) making sure there are no leaks, and b) allowing for the older wood on the outside and the new cedar on the inside to expand/contract in different ways. I'm assuming they would expand/contract at different rates and to different degrees as the RH both inside and outside the cabinet changes. But maybe they wouldn't. I don't really know.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    urbino:
    I've thought about getting one of those led rope lights or something for mine.
    I say you should go with a disco ball and strobe light! haha Like a little party everytime you open it up for a smoke!
    Heh. The remote for the Oasis already makes it look like a red-light district in there. That sucker is bright.
    urbino:
    The only problem I can think of with using an old hutch or armoire is a) making sure there are no leaks, and b) allowing for the older wood on the outside and the new cedar on the inside to expand/contract in different ways. I'm assuming they would expand/contract at different rates and to different degrees as the RH both inside and outside the cabinet changes. But maybe they wouldn't. I don't really know.
    Good call. I'll have to consider that.
    apply a heavy polymer based clear coat on the inside of the old wood. seal the doors. then treat as a coolerdor with wood shelves and cedar lining.

just a thought.
  • kardar2kardar2 Posts: 43
    madurofan:
    urbino:
    Good call. I'll have to consider that.
    Whats the ETA for this project! I love to do woodworking and would like to see the out come.
    It'll probably take a little while to find what I'm looking for then I won't really be able to get started on it until the weather warms. I'd be stoked if it was complete by the end of April. Hang around, I'll keep everyone posted.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Should be fun maddy but also very educational-keep us posted
    kuzi16:
    apply a heavy polymer based clear coat on the inside of the old wood. seal the doors. then treat as a coolerdor with wood shelves and cedar lining.

just a thought.
    this was a thought about the two different woods expanding at different rates. lemme go into more detail. the outer wood is the shape of the box. the cedar will have gaps. it will overlap at the edges but not go all the way to the side of the outer wood. do this on all joints. the expansion should be auto correcting at that point.

if that doesnt help then PM me and ill see if i can get a drawing to ya via email. ... or post here.