Home General Discussion

Confoozed...

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
Man, am I ever confused. I'm in the process of burning my first ever Armada. One of the ones that came with my first COTM order. I'm sitting out on my patio where the RH is about 25% and the stick has been in my 65% coolidor since it arrived around the first of this month.

The minute I torched it, the wrapper began to split - not bad enough to ruin it, but about an inch-and-a-half long. As I smoke it, the split continues at about the same length ahead of the burn line. I'm using the old slide-the-band-up-to-the-split trick to try to hinder the splitting.

If I had taken a drier stick out into a higher-humidity area, I might understand why it's splitting but the conditions are just the reverse. Have any of you guys ever experienced this type of thing? What did I do wrong? I'm enjoying the smoke otherwise, but this has me baffled.

Comments

• Probably just a bum wrapper. Happens with the best of them sometimes.
  • I've only had 1 Armada so far, with 3 more in my humidor. I smoked it during the Super Bowl and bought it right before Christmas, so it had a little over a month of age. At the time, I remember thinking that it was almost overstuffed with tobacco. Thankfully it had a good burn, but it definitely felt like it could explode at any second.

Maybe that's the case with yours? There was just too much filler, and the wrapper couldn't accommodate it?
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could be, I s'pose. Now that I've reached the halfway point the splitting seems to have stopped. I've continued to slide the band back down as the burn progresses and all seems normal for now. Hope it continues that way. Thanks for the input, guys.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I have had this happen before, myself. It's quite frustrating and can ruin the experience of a great cigar... sorry to hear about your troubles.

as long as the binder doesn't split, the cigar is typically still smokable, but none the less, a $20 stick should have ZERO issues like this, especially when it has been well cared for.

on a positive note, did you at least enjoy the phenomenal flavors of those (typically) incredible cigars?
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    I've used the band thing myself, One advantage of keeping the band on for sure.. Ive had this occurr not on an Armada mind you, My conclusion was it was just a defective wrapper. It happens
  • jlmarta:
    Could be, I s'pose. Now that I've reached the halfway point the splitting seems to have stopped. I've continued to slide the band back down as the burn progresses and all seems normal for now. Hope it continues that way. Thanks for the input, guys.
    I had the same problem with the one and only armada I've smoked as well. And since it was my only one, ive been unable to determine if it was a one time fluke. From what I've read though, no one really has had many problems with them.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    slow down. this will help it not expand as much as you puff.