Home General Discussion

Gurkha Perfectos

What is the correct way to cut light and smoke these big Gurkha perfectos?

Comments

• dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Cut the end you smoke, like a torpedo... but not too much. You can always make it a little wider if you need, and you don't want to take off the whole cap. Light the little foot as it is (easy), and smoke it like... a cigar.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    oh yeah... and welcome to the forum.

and what are you smoking?
  • smoking a centurian, the little foot threw me off, took it awhile get get smoking good, got em in my first cotm pkg, did the legend last week it didnt burn real well. let this one rest, guess it needed more time now the wrapper is comin apart!!! thanks for the welcome
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    welcome musty
  • A nickname so quick? that must be a record-- thanks for the welcome..
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    You don't really need to cut anything from the Gurkha Perfectos. Only if the draw is too tight for you.

Oh, and welcome.
  • Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    Welcome from a fellow n00b. I've got two Ghurkas sitting in my humidor just waiting for spring time...
  • rwheelwright:
    You don't really need to cut anything from the Gurkha Perfectos. Only if the draw is too tight for you.

Oh, and welcome.
    Im guess, like I said above, that I needed to let these rest some more, got other great cigars from the same shipment with the cotm, but seem to be having issues with the big gurkhas, still have the churchill legenf and the titan, they will be sitting awhile.. The reason I gave in and smoked the one tonight is that i found a steal of a deal on on 12 pack of these and wondering did I want them....
  • and thanks for the welcomes
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if there is anyone out there that doesnt know that end is the foot on a perfecto:
    look at it so you can read the band. the head is at the top. if you think you may confuse the two, dont take the band off till you light it.
    mustluvcigars:
    smoking a centurian, the little foot threw me off, took it awhile get get smoking good, got em in my first cotm pkg, did the legend last week it didnt burn real well. let this one rest, guess it needed more time now the wrapper is comin apart!!!
    i always let my smokes rest a while before i light em up. I find that very fresh cigars have burn issues. travel is hard on cigars.
    dutyje:
    Cut the end you smoke, like a torpedo... but not too much. You can always make it a little wider if you need, and you don't want to take off the whole cap. Light the little foot as it is (easy), and smoke it like... a cigar.
    perfect.
  • Kuzi, I understand the resting, but I am a bit perplexed...... I got 30+ cigars from here on the third of this month.. including a GOF, the Gurkhas were the cotm pkg which came in the same shipment, the rest were a 20 cigar sampler,one day deal, the $15 boutique sampler, anf the cuvee freebie. most them smoked great, some so-so but still enjoyable, but the Gurkhas of three so far none relly smoked and the that waited the longest,the one tonight, wrapper fell off between the band and the ash about a less than an inch onto the smoke. GOF burned perfect. the Cuvee Rouge was way too dry and had to be ptiched. ManoWar tasted good but didnt burn or draw well and the Old World Reserve burned and drew worse, really disappointed I expected to really like that one. Got some yesterday from a different site they were not humiudifed shipping like ccom... I know tthey be better later but was to impatient to not try a couple, they burned fine...... I guess my question is this ....other than liighting them up how can you tell if they are ready or not, and if all stored and kept the same way why the huge difference?
    well...

a perfecto is VERY hard to roll.

however, thats just an excuse. If you are smoking a centurian (what is usually a $20 stick) you want it to be right.

how do i know its time to smoke?

six weeks in my humidor.
    thats how.

I date em all. As far as draw issues, i always draw test before I smoke. a bad draw and it goes back in the box for a while. every now and then i take a draw on it to see if it is ready to go. if not... back in the box.

Ive never had a Centurian that even came close to coming undone on me. at worst i have had a few burn issues. If you had pictures of the thing as it was happening at different stages i may be able to help you but i doubt you do.

my only thoughts are: you got a bad stick. better luck next time.

heck, i have only had one gurkha that has ever given me any real problems at all. One Regent had a plug in it. Every other gurkha i have ever had has been great.

i hope that didnt curse me.
  • Welcome to the board bro :D
  • kuzi16:
    well...

a perfecto is VERY hard to roll.

however, thats just an excuse. If you are smoking a centurian (what is usually a $20 stick) you want it to be right.

how do i know its time to smoke?

six weeks in my humidor.
    thats how.

I date em all. As far as draw issues, i always draw test before I smoke. a bad draw and it goes back in the box for a while. every now and then i take a draw on it to see if it is ready to go. if not... back in the box.

Ive never had a Centurian that even came close to coming undone on me. at worst i have had a few burn issues. If you had pictures of the thing as it was happening at different stages i may be able to help you but i doubt you do.

my only thoughts are: you got a bad stick. better luck next time.

heck, i have only had one gurkha that has ever given me any real problems at all. One Regent had a plug in it. Every other gurkha i have ever had has been great.

i hope that didnt curse me.
    So i need to jump on that steal of a deal for the centurian, but not plan on smoking them for a while:), I was thinking maybe the cut rate deals online were because there werent good for retail anymore, the cotm was five Gurkhas, Beast, Titan, Centurian, Legend perfecto and churchill, still have the titan and churchill... tell you in six weeks how they went.... If you havent found the deal im talking about ill pm you if you like
  • oh and the picture is burned in my brain, basically a split the length of the stick from the band were to tore flush with the band and unraveled about half the diameter of the cigar, smoked as much as i could before it got too messy , cut off the cherry and relit the thing...saved as much as I could..
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I would definately get the deal if I were you. Now, I like the centurion but don't love it. It think it is really good but I have had better from Gurkha and other brands. I don't think they are worth the price that they charge but when a deal comes around they are usually worth it. I myself have probably 12 - 15 of them aging for at least 4 - 5 months now. My suggestion would be if you get them, some one, wait six weeks, try another, etc... See how the taste, burn draw progress with age. That is if you can wait.
    i know the deal you are talking about. there is nothing that would make them sub par. its just a good deal. that site you refer to is not out to get you.

if kept correctly, cigars will not go bad. I know those were kept up on.

get them. let them rest. they are my favorite gurkha. If you find that you dont like them shoot me PM and we will discuss options.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    As Kuzi mentioned, perfectos are a tough bunch to roll and as I've stated before, regardless of their inherent burn issues (with many, but not all perfectos), I still feel they're one of my all time favorite shapes. One because of the classic look to them, and two, because of the transition between wrapper to filler ratio throughout the length of the cigar. I'd chalk it up to a bad stick and jump on the deal, put them aside and smoke them in a few months. I've had Gurkhas that just weren't my cup of tea, but have never had one that's performed terribly.
  • Well I appreciate everyones respanse to my inquires, I must admit Iam a little bummed. I smoked my first cigar from a package sent to me for christmas, 10 or so really good ones, ordered up from here then order other batch from another site, sound like ive been smoking them way to soon....got some cao, rp and graycliff i cant wait to smoke 60 or so. Now i find it necessary to sit on them, hmmm can any body suggest some of the el cheapo bundles from smoke shops to hold me over till these these get smokable..... these sites should have a disclaimer on these deals and cotm for newbies that dont know any better---- Jan "5 expensive gurkhas but wait till march to lite em up!!" but thanks to you guys saving me from any more bad expeirences with really fine cigars
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Well, it's not really ccom's or other dealers' fault. Cigars just benefit from time in a stable humi. That's true for the inexpensive ones, too. Obviously, though, smoking an inexpensive cigar when it's not quite right isn't as frustrating as having the same experience with an expensive one.

As for good inexpensive cigars, if you're talking about something you can find at your local B&M, I'd suggest Sancho Panza or some of the less expensive Fuentes. If you buy online, it's hard to beat 5 Vegas.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Well, it's not really ccom's or other dealers' fault. Cigars just benefit from time in a stable humi. That's true for the inexpensive ones, too. Obviously, though, smoking an inexpensive cigar when it's not quite right isn't as frustrating as having the same experience with an expensive one.

As for good inexpensive cigars, if you're talking about something you can find at your local B&M, I'd suggest Sancho Panza or some of the less expensive Fuentes. If you buy online, it's hard to beat 5 Vegas.
    Along with the always pleasing 5 Vegas and Sancho Panza, Rocky Patel Vintage '92, one of my favorites Bauza, and Fuentes Cuban Corona. Also, the La Aurora 1495 in the Corona size is a pleasant cigar for a modest price. I have had good luck with all of these with little or no rest involved. ( the cigars, not me.)
  • urbino:

Im not faulting any body but me,,,, falling more and more in love with these sites everday, finding great deals on super fine cigars all time(figured ive paid abot 3.5 bucks a piece so far)(it would be less if i was not factoring in the GOF!!!),,, i was just naive about the resting issue.. So cigars from the B&M dont need the extensive rest? best deals im seeing there are about 4 or 5 bucks a piece for thier house brand, cept for some bundled cigars i see on the floor but clerk really turned his nose up at those.... anyways, thanks again for all the replies im finding it all quite informative
  • btmislesbtmisles Posts: 125
    You will almost always get better deals when you shop the various samplers and deals at the online retailers. What you get at your B&M is the interaction with others and the atmosphere. I think most people will say they get most of thier smokes online because well...we don't have an endless supply of cash but don't forget to drop a few bucks at the B&M every now and then. If we don't support them (especially in these times) they won't be there when we need them.

An answer to your rest question, if you shop in a well maintained B&M then you should not have any issues smoking a stick immediately after purchase.
    btmisles:
    You will almost always get better deals when you shop the various samplers and deals at the online retailers. What you get at your B&M is the interaction with others and the atmosphere.
    and 9 times out of 10 its worth the extra cost. Good people go to the B&M

I still buy most of my smokes on line...

been thinkin of a ccom house blend purchase (brazilizn of course)