Home General Discussion

Half way through break.

So I'm half way through a two week break to clean my palate. Everything was starting to blend, flavor wise. I mean I am missing the nuances of the cigars the suttle changes and profiles. Its been so hard its been about a week and a half one more wk left. I don't think it's because of the nicotine just the love of the sticks. My fiance has actually caught me several times just standing and staring at my cabinet. I keep organizing them and reorganizing them. So other that the OCD. Has anyone taken time off to clean there palate or even felt like they had to do it. Or am i just a freak?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the most i have ever taken off specifically to cleanse the palate was two days. i think thats all i need usually.

a thought that occurred to me as i was reading your post, specifically when you said
    cooch36:
    Everything was starting to blend, flavor wise.
    last time that happened to me i was in Nicaragua. every factory i went to someone in the cigar industry that you have heard of handed me a cigar and told me to smoke it.
    ...when JD hands you a cigar and tells you to smoke it, you do.
    needless to say, i was smoking a TON of Nicaraguan puros. i was in the neighborhood of 3-4 a day. all i could taste was Nicaragua. by the end of the third day things were tasting the same. this is why i brought a hand full of cigars with me on the trip. none of the smokes i brought had ANY Nicaraguan tobacco in them. i made sure to Smoke Dominican and Honduran as the last smoke of the night. this change of pace was needed to give my palate a rest from all Nicaraguan, and it helped me see the differences in the tobacco from different countries.

take a look at what you are smoking. same blenders? same countries?
    maybe that is your bigger issue.
    get some variety in your selection. keep it changing up. dont fall into a cigar rut.

• cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    take a look at what you are smoking. same blenders? same countries?
    maybe that is your bigger issue.
    get some variety in your selection. keep it changing up. dont fall into a cigar rut.

This probably hits the nail on the head never really thought about it I have a ton of DR.
    I will put your advice to the test! thanks Kuzi.
  • cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    OK I broke last night, and really enjoyed a Camancho triple M. ya it was dam nice.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    No, you're not a freak, unless we both are. I take a break every now and then too. Usually when I get a cold, I'll stop for about 2 weeks. Sometimes I'll take a break after a herf where I smoke 3,4,5,6+ cigars in a day.

Regarding what Kuzi mentioned, Nicaraguan tobacco definitely has a heavy, staining feel to my taste buds. If I smoke a Nicaraguan cigar I can usually taste it a few days later. I feel like it affects my ability to taste, or at least sense what I'm tasting. I don't get that as much with Dominican, or Honduran smokes.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    cooch36:
    OK I broke last night, and really enjoyed a Camancho triple M. ya it was dam nice.
    Looks like you need to order a box. :)
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Yeah, I am not a huge fan of strong Nicaraguan puros, but nothing helps break up monotony on the palate like a big, dark, dirty Nicaraguan after a few days of smoking medium bodied Dominican stuff or CCs. Variety is the spice of life (and the key to a strong palate!)
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    Yeah, I am not a huge fan of strong Nicaraguan puros, but nothing helps break up monotony on the palate like a big, dark, dirty Nicaraguan after a few days of smoking medium bodied Dominican stuff or CCs. Variety is the spice of life (and the key to a strong palate!)
    That's what she said? ;)
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.