Home General Discussion

Dumb Question

Fellow BOTL did anyone jump on CComs special on the Cu-Avana Punisher box? My question is as follows. I have never bought a box of tubed cigars. How do I store them? Do I just leave them in the box taking one out when I want to light one up or do I remove them from the tubes and place them in my humidor. I really like this cigar and want to treat treat them right so that they will be in top condition when I want to light one up.

Thanks for all replies.

Comments

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any tubed cigar is self contained humidification. I personally like to store them in the humi out of the box, but you would still be perfectly safe to keep them in the box. -- Jarman
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • I have only stored a few cigars in tubes. I have heard some people unscrew the cap. Think Kuzi would be the man to ask.
    rossdavey2:
    I have only stored a few cigars in tubes. I have heard some people unscrew the cap. Think Kuzi would be the man to ask.
    Completely agree, Kuzi would be a great reference! Like I said I have done two boxes of tubo's this way and so has the father, perfect results every time, but I would trust Kuzi based on his expertise and experience -- Jarman
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Tubos are not airtight.. but very well sealed. You still need to put a Tubed cigar in the humi it's just not affected as quickly as other cigars in your humi. It takes longer to dry out a tubed cigar and that also means it takes longer to AGE a tubed cigar as well.

Treat it like a normal cigar and when you want to take it out and about to smoke it, it's kinda cool you don't have to worry about it drying out too quickly!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I too treat them like any other cigar. I take them out of the box and place them in a properly maintained humidor. I do not take the cap off until I am ready to burn it.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I got the Punisher box also, but I don't feel the tubes are really sealed. The caps are just screwed on. I've put all my tubes in my humi, and the box is being used for my pen collection.
  • I'm not sure about this but it seems I read somewhere that they'll basically keep in a tube for a year. However, that they will also dry out after a year in the tube, even in a humidor. I haven't kept any as along as year and so I've had no problem just tossing the tubed cigar in the humidor and then smoking it when I wanted. I did keep quite a few in tubes without a humidor over most of the summer traveling. There was no difference between just bought and 3 months in a ziplock.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    90+ Irishman:
    Any tubed cigar is self contained humidification.
    Nah. Tubos are not sealed right enough to maintain any sort of humidity of their own. Neither is the box itself. So either take the tubos out of the box, and put them in your humidor, or if you have a large enough humidor, put the whole box in it. Some (like Kuzi) will say that they try to not open a tubo ever, until you smoke it (some jibber-jabber about thinking that maybe some air from the factory where they were sealed up may still be in there, and the cigar is just marinating), though some tubos tend to be factories for mold (given they while humidity transfer does occur, it is slower, so if over humidified, then mold is going to happen easier) so some store them with the caps off. It is all personal preference.
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    This from most of what I've seen is truly a personal thing. The point being either in or out of the tubos, in the right conditions your cigar will be safe. By that I mean either way you store it (in or out of the tubo), it must be in kept as any other cigar in a humi, until you smoke it.
  • Duke2Duke2 Posts: 393
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I really like the Punisher so they won't last long. I'll place the tubes in one of my humidors and open them when I want to light one up.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    My 2 cents...
    put the tubos in the bottom/back of your humi and let em age for a while. Then call the Beard and get him to make you a good price on a fiver of the non-tubed to smoke now...

those things will be magic in a few years.
    BigT06:
    My 2 cents...
    put the tubos in the bottom/back of your humi and let em age for a while. Then call the Beard and get him to make you a good price on a fiver of the non-tubed to smoke now...

+1 Sounds like the right plan to me...
  • 90+ Irishman:
    BigT06:
    My 2 cents...

+1 Sounds like the right plan to me...
    Glad I read this before I bought any. I never would of thought to put them in the humi. I would have been a little upset if I pulled it out and it was bad. Thanks for all the input fellas!