Home General Discussion

Can't get my new Humidor to the proper humidity

I have tried all the tricks to season my new Humidor, wiping it down, the shot glass trick, leaving it empty, the dollar test, and even dampening the lip on the lid to make it swell,  but I cannot seem to get it over 60%. I am very new this and have searched the forums extensively, where I have learned everything I have tried, but nothing seams to work. I calibrated the hydrometer which was off by 15 degrees, so I adjusted it so that it would read correctly.

I live in Buffalo NY where it is the middle of winter and the air is dry everywhere, but I am taking what I think is the proper steps to humidifying and nothing seems to work. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 
Mike

Comments

• PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Do you have an anolog or digital Hygrometer
  • Sorry I have an analog dial type hydrometer
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Yeah, get a digital one. The analog ones are notoriously inaccurate, even when calibrated. That's why Puro asked.
    Urbi is correct, my advice would be to toss that thing in the trash and get a digital from your local B&M or radio shack or something. I have an analog that will read anywhere from 20% to 90% depending on its mood...
  • OK good thanks guys, I will start there and report back. Hopefully that will solve my problem, but if not I will be back for more advice.
    Anytime! Hope to see you around here more often. This is a fun little forum.
  • I also live in Buffalo and I have had the same problem with my new humidor. Get the digital hygrometer like the others have recommended and also I picked up some Boveda packs and it helped out my humidor tremendously.
  • cheymancheyman Posts: 157
    I want to pull on this thread a little more.

I live in New England and am experiencing the same problem with my 50ct humi. I too had an analog, and yesterday went to my local B&M to get a digital. After all night in the humi, the digital is reading 50%. I've temporarily moved all my cigars to tupaware storage and I am now reseasoning. I've salt tested my new digital hygrometer...it reads 71%. My humidor is 8-9 months old. Thoughts? Suggestions?
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    cheyman:
    I want to pull on this thread a little more.

I live in New England and am experiencing the same problem with my 50ct humi. I too had an analog, and yesterday went to my local B&M to get a digital. After all night in the humi, the digital is reading 50%. I've temporarily moved all my cigars to tupaware storage and I am now reseasoning. I've salt tested my new digital hygrometer...it reads 71%. My humidor is 8-9 months old. Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Is the new digital adjustable? If not write +4 on a piece of tape on the hygro so you know how much to add to the reading.

Reseasoning is where I would start as well. But how are you seasoning? I'd suggest a shallow dish of water in there and just let it sit until the RH stabilizes in there.

Have you tested the seal on your humidor? If not, take a dollar bill an lay it on the lip of the humi. THen close the lid. Slowly pull the dollar bill out, if it slides right out you have a bad seal, if its tough to pullout then you seal is good. Try this on all three sides.

Finally how cold is it getting where your humi is? If the temp in the humidor is pretty cold it will be very hard to keep the RH up.

You asked for a thoughts, and that is where my mind immediately went.
  • I gave up on my little 50-60 count humidor and went to eBay bought a 400 count humidor for $70 and then bought a Humi-Care Electronic Humidifier here at Cigar.com for $80. I cleaned out my humidor, wiped it down, let it set with a damp sponge in a bowl in the center for a few days, and then installed the Humi-Care. I now sleep at night knowing my cigars are perfectly happy in a controlled environment. The Humi-Care unit is about 2-3 inches wide about 4 inches high and 6 inches long. It sits at the bottom of my humidor and maintains my humidor at 70%, my meter at the top approximately 12 inches from the humidifier reads 75% humidity with a temp of around 65 degrees F. Not the primo conditions, but for winter in Nebraska not bad and I know my cigars are staying fresh by conducting the occassional smoke test. Hope this helps, good luck.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if you still have that old one and dont wanna give up on it i would suggest a bit of weather strip.

if you are at your wits end, shoot me a PM.
  • I had the same problem with my humi when I first got it. I couldn't get mine up past 57%. I don't think I properly seasoned it that and I could have over charged my beads. It miracously fixed itself about two months after I dropped my sticks in there. It might just take some time. Also, I agree. Definitly get a digital hygro.
    madurofan:
    Finally how cold is it getting where your humi is? If the temp in the humidor is pretty cold it will be very hard to keep the RH up.

I think this was the culprit. I move my humidor to a much warmer spot in my house, which has stablized the RH at 67%. Thanks for your thoughts Madurofan.
    cheyman:
    madurofan:

I think this was the culprit. I move my humidor to a much warmer spot in my house, which has stablized the RH at 67%. Thanks for your thoughts Madurofan.
    No problem cheyman.
    madurofan:
    cheyman:
    madurofan:

No problem cheyman.
    good thought there!

another thing may be if you have it near a vent in your house. with air in motion it has a tendency to dry things out. keep away from vents!!
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    cheyman:
    madurofan:

No problem cheyman.
    good thought there!

another thing may be if you have it near a vent in your house. with air in motion it has a tendency to dry things out. keep away from vents!!
    Very true. Many people keep their humidors in closets.
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    cheyman:
    madurofan:

No problem cheyman.
    good thought there!

Very true. Many people keep their humidors in closets.
    And that's where I moved it...to the closet.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Also remember that these are just guidelines. I prefer to keep my stuff closer to 60% than 70.
    zoom6zoom:
    Also remember that these are just guidelines. I prefer to keep my stuff closer to 60% than 70.
    I wouldn't recommend below 62 though but old zoomie is correct.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    zoom6zoom:
    I don't know zoom... 60 seems a little low to me. At 65 I start to fret. I may pull a few known winners that I have enjoyed at 70, bring them down to 60 and give it a first hand test. You may be right, but...I'll do a Bauza, 5 Vegas, and a La Aurora 1495/1994. I don't want to sacrafice any real pricey sticks yet, but the experiment may continue after those three.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    zoom6zoom:
    I don't know zoom... 60 seems a little low to me. At 65 I start to fret. I may pull a few known winners that I have enjoyed at 70, bring them down to 60 and give it a first hand test. You may be right, but...I'll do a Bauza, 5 Vegas, and a La Aurora 1495/1994. I don't want to sacrafice any real pricey sticks yet, but the experiment may continue after those three.
    Speaking from experience, I feel that many cigars do just fine between 60-65%. I've maintained my humidor as low as 62% and there were only a few cigars that seemed to be drier than they should have been. All things being equal though, I prefer a solid 65% since every cigar I've had at that level smokes great.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Interesting. I'll definitely be reading along to see what your results are, kas.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    don't think i'e ever let mine get to 60-62%- i also tend to panic at 64%
    i have heard that in many places in europe humidors are kept at 55-60. im not sure on how true that is but i dont panic unless its below 60%. I watch it enough that it usually get caught at 64% ( i keep at 65)
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    kuzi16:
    i have heard that in many places in europe humidors are kept at 55-60. im not sure on how true that is but i dont panic unless its below 60%. I watch it enough that it usually get caught at 64% ( i keep at 65)
    I believe that's true, but remember to convert from metric percentages to standard percentages ;)
    dutyje:
    kuzi16:
    I believe that's true, but remember to convert from metric percentages to standard percentages ;)
    I don't have gobbs of experience over seas but in my limited travels and experience I did not see this.
  • this may sound like a stupid question but i'm new to this... what do i do if my humi gets below the 65% mark? is there something i need to do to get back past the 65% mark?
    kevster77:
    this may sound like a stupid question but i'm new to this... what do i do if my humi gets below the 65% mark? is there something i need to do to get back past the 65% mark?
    What are you using for humidification?
  • just the humidifier that came with the humidor.
    Don't take this as an insult or anythign just want to be sure here. You did "charge" the humidifier, correct? By charge I mean some form of pouring, dunking or misting of water on the humidifier.