Home General Discussion

Short/Med filler cigars

CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
After reading that post on that blade cutter it got me thinking. Is it me or do short/med fill cigars get a lot of undo bad press? I have smoked many in the past and never had "a whole bunch of bits in my mouth". Maybe a little upon clipping but nothing a quick pre-light draw wouldn't clear up. I have also seen videos of rollers who are making long filler cigars who add some short/med fill to either end to complete the size requirements. I can attest to many bad short/med filled cigars as well but I think it has more to do with the quality of the tobacco put in to it. I would buy (in a heart-beat) short/med filled cigars from many of our favorite brands (Ashton, Fuente, Oliva, Davidoff, Camacho, DPG, AJ, ect) so long as the tobacco was the same, just short/med filler and the wrapper was the same. Especially at a steep discount as it would allow me to smoke some of my favorite expensive "special occasion" cigars everyday. What are some of your thoughts on short/med filled sticks?

Comments

• BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I don't like em. I have a ton of Fuentes curly heads and have no plan for smoking them.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I would say 75% of them are crap. Reason being that the blending is just, by the very nature of the construction method, not very precise I don't think. That said, they tend to be very inexpensive, and there are some perfectly smokeable short or medium filler cigars (Cuchillos Cubanos, Tat Serie P come to mind). The claim that because the cigars are made of scraps of the high quality tobacco used in long filler sticks seems like a crock to me though, because scraps of Opus X filler mixed and matched and sifted into a nasty low grade wrapper do not an Opus X make. In fact, its all about wrapper wrapper wrapper!
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    docbp87:
    I would say 75% of them are crap. Reason being that the blending is just, by the very nature of the construction method, not very precise I don't think. That said, they tend to be very inexpensive, and there are some perfectly smokeable short or medium filler cigars (Cuchillos Cubanos, Tat Serie P come to mind). The claim that because the cigars are made of scraps of the high quality tobacco used in long filler sticks seems like a crock to me though, because scraps of Opus X filler mixed and matched and sifted into a nasty low grade wrapper do not an Opus X make. In fact, its all about wrapper wrapper wrapper!
    Yeah, I'm sorta right there with you Doc. I like the idea of planned medium/Short filler cigars, like the tat Series P, Cuchillo Cubanos and the Tabacos Baez SF though. But the scraps i'm not so hot on the idea. It can be a gateway into the hobby though . . .
    BigT06:
    I don't like em. I have a ton of Fuentes curly heads and have no plan for smoking them.
    hahaha, yeah the Curley head Deluxe Maduro was my first box purchase and I probably wouldn't be into the hobby if it wasn't for them. I kind of have a soft spot in my heart for those.

In fact, PM man.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    boydmcgowan:
    BigT06:
    hahaha, yeah the Curley head Deluxe Maduro was my first box purchase and I probably wouldn't be into the hobby if it wasn't for them. I kind of have a soft spot in my heart for those.

In fact, PM man.
    replied
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    My only experience with this sort of thing is with the ccom house blends. I really enjoy a couple of them. I agree that the wrapper, in these cases, is key to a decent smoke as you're not likely going to be able to enjoy consistency of the filler.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    The Ccom house blends get plenty of love here and they are are short/sandwich blends. A good maker can properly sandwich the filler to get good results. Most are just made to be cheap cigars and thus they are not very good. I have smoked some good short fillers but knowing a cigar is short filler just takes the edge off of the fun for me and consistency is sometimes an issue. I bought a box of Ccom SG's in the churchill size once that were just awful.
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are going to smoke mixed filler cigars once in a while, like the Ccom blends, use a punch and keep the loose tobacco out of your mouth.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    boydmcgowan:
    docbp87:
    Yeah, I'm sorta right there with you Doc. I like the idea of planned medium/Short filler cigars, like the tat Series P, Cuchillo Cubanos and the Tabacos Baez SF though. But the scraps i'm not so hot on the idea. It can be a gateway into the hobby though . . .

Right with you. the blending is too hit and miss. I have never smoked a short fill that was consistent all the way through and some are just bad from the start. I know that many of you really like the ccom brand and that is fine but to me the short filler really lowers the quality. I have smoked several because when ordering I did not know they were short filler but if I am going to smoke a short filler King Edward would be the go to brand. I haven't smoked one of them since the early 90's.
    BigT06:
    boydmcgowan:
    BigT06:

In fact, PM man.
    replied
    BOOM!! I just got throttled. I told BigT that I wanted a trip down memory lane with these bad boys, since they we're my first box purchase, and that I'd send him a simple selection of sticks in exchange for some of his curley heads. I didn't expect to get all of them and 5 extra. Todd, thank you Brother. This was too much, I appreciate it. The MOW SE is my favorite of the MOW line and I'm really excited to try that Cusano Cameroon. really excited.

out of the box

ready for the humidor.