Home General Discussion

Help with this Cigar Band

KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
Was gifted this. Thoughts?? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    personally i have never seen one where the "tail" in the C goes through the body. AND that tail touches the edge of the band. ive never seen that either.

of course i am not the guy that knows the bands that well. but those are my thoughts.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Looks legit to me. You ever checked this out?:

http://cigaraficionado.com/counterfeit
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    See the way the little tail on the lower part of the "C" in Cuba curls back and dips below the other part, well on sn authentic Cohiba that shouldn't be. In other words, the font is wrong. Aside from that, it looks pretty good, but alas I believe what you have is a counterfeit.

Check this band for comparison.

• y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    See the way the little tail on the lower part of the "C" in Cuba curls back and dips below the other part, well on sn authentic Cohiba that shouldn't be. In other words, the font is wrong. Aside from that, it looks pretty good, but alas I believe what you have is a counterfeit.

Wow...that's subtle. Good eye.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Please don't mind the threadjack KCW, but I am actually in the same boat as you. A guy I work with went on a Carribbean cruise a few months back. (You can see where this is going!) Well sure enough he comes back with "Cubans." He was in port and stopped by a gift shop and asked for their "finest Cuban cigar." They sold him 6 for $50. (The part that really jacks me off is that he wanted me and another guy to pay him for the sticks. But I do appreciate the....thought?) Anyhoo, given the obvious clues as to how fake they were, I thanked him (and paid).

Now to my point. The other night I was (slightly) intoxicated and decided, what the hell and fired one up anyways. It actually wasn't too bad. Was it really Cuban and have that "traditional Cuban taste?" No, clearly not. But it was sorta enjoyable.

So the moral of the story, for me at least, appreciate the nice thought and try to enjoy it as much as you can. The gift giver was most likely unaware of the prevalance of fakes and merely thought he was doing you a solid. :0)
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:

Right on brother...thanks for posting that band. I just checked the Cohiba Maduro I bought in Mexico..not off the street or in some flea market but an actual cigar shop in Cancun. I heard good things about the shop so I stopped in bought 1 cohiba maduro and 5pk of Montes...Just stuck it in the humi and it will stay there for ALONG time!!
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting little fact about Cohiba I just came across, Marxist revolutionary Che Guevara was the one who originally started Cohiba when Castro first took over Cuba. Had no clue, but found it quite interesting.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:

Shouldn't there be some black over the top row of white squares? Or is the picture just cut off?
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    skweekz:
    Please don't mind the threadjack KCW, but I am actually in the same boat as you. A guy I work with went on a Carribbean cruise a few months back. (You can see where this is going!) Well sure enough he comes back with "Cubans." He was in port and stopped by a gift shop and asked for their "finest Cuban cigar." They sold him 6 for $50. (The part that really jacks me off is that he wanted me and another guy to pay him for the sticks. But I do appreciate the....thought?) Anyhoo, given the obvious clues as to how fake they were, I thanked him (and paid).

Now to my point. The other night I was (slightly) intoxicated and decided, what the hell and fired one up anyways. It actually wasn't too bad. Was it really Cuban and have that "traditional Cuban taste?" No, clearly not. But it was sorta enjoyable.

So the moral of the story, for me at least, appreciate the nice thought and try to enjoy it as much as you can. The gift giver was most likely unaware of the prevalance of fakes and merely thought he was doing you a solid. :0)

Yeah. Been there many times and learned about the fake thing the first time I was there. But, this band looked pretty good to me. Thats why I asked here, 'cause I knew if it was legit, the folkes here would know. No skin off my back. It was a gift. I thanked him for thinking of me. Funny thing is, the person that gave me this got it from his "Cuban cousin" when he was in Miami. Thanks ofr all the input guys.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    The biggest thing about the fakes are construction. If you look at the cigar and it is not almost perfect that is a bad sign. Also one of the tricks fakes use is putting the wrappers from lightest to darkest in the box so the difference is not as noticeable. Look at the sticks on both ends and see if the wrapper is very close in color. The cap should be impressive and smooth. That is the hardest part of the roll. A guy in a shed can't roll the caps (head) very well 90% of the time. The band is the most obvious to see a fake with but construction is reliable.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Ken Light:
    j0z3r:

Shouldn't there be some black over the top row of white squares? Or is the picture just cut off?
    Probably a crop job or just a poor band.