Home Non Cigar Related

UFC opinions and comments

my new favorite sport. just learing about it. hoping to see everyones opinion. looking forward to UFC 94. i think gsp will kick bj's ass. cant wait to see the machida vs silva fight either. rootin for machida myself love his fighting style.

Comments

• LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I used to watch it a lot, but not so much anymore...paid too much for fights that didn't amount to jack. Plus the fighters seemed to increasingly turn into primadonnas. I did really want to see the Fedor Arlovski fight. From what I read, Arlovski was actually giving him a fight until he got knocked out cold.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    It's incredible how much is going on in the sport, especially compared with where it was just 10 short years ago.

I cannot wait for the GSP vs. Penn fight either. I don't think GSP is just going to walk through Penn, Penn is too good of a fighter for that. I do see the fight going to GSP though, he's as close to unstoppable, I think, as anyone can be in the sport. I really can't wait to see Frank Mir and Brock Lesnar again...I really want Brock to lose that belt, I don't think he deserves it. Not to mention Frank impressed the hell out of me with his win over Nogiuera. Oh and of course Machida, he's one of my favorite UFC guys...I think he's gonna kill Silva, at least I really hope he does give him the kind of ass whooping he deserves, might teach the guy to be less of a punk.
  • StoogeeStoogee Posts: 157
    I think Penn will win if and that is a big if he is in shape he dominated GSP the first time for 2 rounds until he got winded in fact I cant remember a time BJ didnt dominate the first round or 2 against anyone. If BJ is not in shape then GSP wins by decision. Machida in my opinion will kill Silva. His defense is just to good he never gets hit. Tonight on VS though is a good fight Donald Cerrone vs Jamie Varner in the WEC.
    I only caught Faber/Pulver 2 on the WEC fight...man that Faber is a little spark plug.

I was really disappointed with Andrei Arlovski, he was doing well against Fedor. It seemed Fedor didn't really have an answer for a lot of his early striking game until Arlovski went and pulled some flying stupidity and left himself completely open on the left side. It's too bad really, he could have given Fedor a good run for his money if he'd fought a little smarter.

Stoogee: That was back in 2006 when GSP and Penn fought last. I know Penn will be no slouch and I fully expect him to be in great shape, but GSP has grown by such leaps and bounds, I mean he's not even the same fighter. Has BJ really had that same improvement? No way to tell but to wait and see, but my money is on GSP. Regardless of which way it goes though, I think it is going to be one of the most exciting fights of 2009.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I agree that it's an exciting sport and has come a long way. Actually the only sport I'll watch. Football, baseball and basketball all put me to sleep. However, I agree that sometimes it's just not worth the money you spend on a ppv. There's so many new names and you never know how the fights are going to turn out. I kind of wish I caught the last one because one of our fighters got fight of the night - Marcus Davis. I didn't realize, but him and Lytle are actually really good friends and were talking and hanging out in the locker room up to and even immediately after the fight.

As much as I love Penn as a fighter, I have to give the upcoming fight to GSP. It has potential to be the fight of the year, but again, this sport is unpredictable.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Luko:
    I used to watch it a lot, but not so much anymore...paid too much for fights that didn't amount to jack. Plus the fighters seemed to increasingly turn into primadonnas. I did really want to see the Fedor Arlovski fight. From what I read, Arlovski was actually giving him a fight until he got knocked out cold.
    I actually watched that fight and I'm not even a UFC fan. It kind of got me into though. Arlovski had him backed into a corner and just took a love tap to the jaw dropped him cold.
    madurofan:
    Luko:
    I actually watched that fight and I'm not even a UFC fan. It kind of got me into though. Arlovski had him backed into a corner and just took a love tap to the jaw dropped him cold.
    Arlovski has a glass chin. Sucks too, because he's a skilled fighter.
    The bar i was at had a bunch of side action going on. The guy at the table behind me lost $1600 on the fight.
    Dayummm. I don't think I'd lay that kind of money down on a fight, too unpredictable.
    I'm not a gambler but my jaw dropped when he said that.
    Anyone that put $1600 on Arlovski in that fight needs to quit smoking crack. Fedor has been the most dominant fighter in MMA since 2000 and was a 4 to 1 favorite in that fight. Arlovski might have been controlling the stand up but eventually fedor was going to take him to the ground and submit him easily. Not only that but Arlovski is known to have a glass chin even though he has very good boxing skills. Fedor could probably beat him 9 out of 10 times in his sleep.
    Also if you want to see a guy with a ton of heart and a great chin watch for the WEC replay of Varner/Cerrone or look for it on the net this was a fight that could possibly win fight of the year and it is only January its one of the most action packed back and forth fights I have ever seen.
  • i knew it gsp was gonna walk all over penn. and he dominated him in rounds 2,3 and 4 penn was just overwhelmed did to him what he did to serra. beautiful fight. arlovski is fun to watch but yes he does have a glass jaw. i have seen him take a good hit or 2. but what got me what the machida vs silva fight. last second knock out. beautiful. stick and move and picking yoru shots will always win. unless you got a glass jaw. lol.
    Yeah I was surprised at how much GSP dominated Penn. Penn could not deal with the strength of GSP. The machida fight didnt surprise me at all the guy never gets hit.
    I loved seeing Machida destroy Silva. Silva is a punk and he needed a good beat down. What did surprise me was the aggressiveness Machida fought with while still maintaining his general elusiveness. I think he could hand Rashad a defeat quite soundly.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I was really suprised by the GSP/ Penn fight. I wasn't sure who was going to win before the fight, but I definately was not expecting that kind of domination. It was like watching the school bully beat up the class nerd.
    I know what you mean, I expected more of a fight from BJ. It just goes to show how much GSP's game has evolved in comparison. BJ ought to stay where he is champ, he's a damn good lightweight, but I don't know if he can hang at 170.