Home Ratings & Reviews

Rocky Patel Summer 2008

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
I saw this cigar at my local B & M and was wondering if anyone has tried this one yet. I never heard of it, must be new or I live under a rock.

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• bass8844bass8844 Posts: 416
    Haven't tried it, but Rocky does have a lot of lines out there. I think there is an autumn blend as well. If you keep a look out, there's a lot of new stuff to try...almost too much to keep up with!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have one but have not lit it up. Ill wait till summer 09.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    That is one of my favorite smokes. I've still yet to try the Autumn but the Summer is excellent, spicy and full bodied. Habano wrapper with a cameroon binder.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    i guess I will give it a try, maybe I can get to the B&M this weekend before the big game and pick one up.

"Long ashes my friends."

The Summer was a one time run too. Once its gone, thats it.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    The Summer was a one time run too. Once its gone, thats it.
    Say it aint so...I only bought two, and one has already been reduced to a pile of ashes. Now I don't want to smoke the other one, even though I do.
    Tis so. I did hear a rumar that it was very successful so he'll probably do it again next year.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I've heard the summer blend was really good but I didn't get to pic any up. A friend of mine has one of the Atumn blends resting right now. Smells good! I'm gonna pick up a couple of those.
    PuroFreak:
    I've heard the summer blend was really good but I didn't get to pic any up. A friend of mine has one of the Atumn blends resting right now. Smells good! I'm gonna pick up a couple of those.
    If you want a Summer, let me know I'll pick some up for you.
  • just lit up the winter blend...BAM.. probably gonna wish I had more to eat today
    LOL it is full. I picked a couple up the other day. Its a good smoke but I thought it was a little young. Through the nose I got a tinge of ammonia. Did you experience the same?
  • I like, no ammonia, 1/3 of way through it now, nose still tinlging from first couple puffs,, these are the last of his lot so im thinking they sat longer, found another place that has and can get more boxes so Ill probably buy a box or two
    Just alot stronger than I expected from all the other RP expeirences I had that were supposed to be powerhouse(i.e. The Edge), cant wait to smoke that 601 Green now
  • JKTexJKTex Posts: 92
    I've got an autumn in my humi resting.  I was told by a guy at the B&M that they are very, very, mild.  He recommended I try a Winter though.  But then he admitted, in his words, he smoked one and it "kicked his ass".  Big Smile [:D]  He said half way through his head was spinning and it didn't stop for 45 minutes.  I laughed and said "no thanks". 

He said it's good, but it's strong.  He also admitted he enjoys milder cigars, as do I. 

I have enough variety of RP's right now anyway.  I've got '90, '92, '99, Old World Reserve, Sun Grown, Renaissance, Decade, Autumn, Edge, Edge Lite and I've got '90 Segundo's on the way from ccom.

I think Rocky ought to appreciate me.  Wink [;)]
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Damn son ...thats a collection of Rockys ....they ought to send you a tee-shirt or hat or something ....
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    JKTex:
    I've got an autumn in my humi resting.  I was told by a guy at the B&M that they are very, very, mild.  He recommended I try a Winter though.  But then he admitted, in his words, he smoked one and it "kicked his ass".  Big Smile [:D]  He said half way through his head was spinning and it didn't stop for 45 minutes.  I laughed and said "no thanks". 

He said it's good, but it's strong.  He also admitted he enjoys milder cigars, as do I. 

I have enough variety of RP's right now anyway.  I've got '90, '92, '99, Old World Reserve, Sun Grown, Renaissance, Decade, Autumn, Edge, Edge Lite and I've got '90 Segundo's on the way from ccom.

...WHAT ! no Nordings ?
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    JKTex:

...WHAT ! no Nordings ?
    '99?, winter? hmmmmmm, new to me
    No, I don't have any Nordings.  I guess you're going to say I need to try them?  Damn you.  Big Smile [:D]  Something else to try. 
    Sorry, '99 is the Vintage 1999 or Connecticut.  It's the mild baby of the Vintage line.

BTW, I smoked the Autumn earlier tonight.  I almost bought some more but I'm glad I didn't.  It's been in my humi for about 3 weeks and when I punched it, the cap and about 1/2 passed the cap cracked.  Ok, I can deal with that.  I removed the fist band and it pealed part of the wrapper, when I finally peeled the big band it pulled a piece of wrapper off.  Overall, after 2 weeks in 72-74* the wrapper was what I'd call brittle.  But I smolked fine, except it went out about 3/4 of the way in.

As for the smoke......it's supposed to be really mild.  It is, and boring, and not so enjoyable.  It's simple and kinda yuk.  As a novice, I'm not sure how else to descibe it.  The cool orange and silver band had me thinking it'd be vibrant, smooth, some complexity, but no.  No nasty after taste but it was just kind of ashy tasting.  Maybe that's a better word for it.

A '90 Vintage that was laying right next to it for less time was suple and an awexome smoke.

If I recall, and I'll need to go look again, someone else makes some of these for Rocky.  I hope that's what it is.  I won't be adding any more to my humi.

Guess I need some Nordi's to try now. Big Smile [:D]  For now, I may go out with a '90 or a '92 to restore my faith.  Wink [;)]
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Incidentally, since we're talking RP, I never see anyone else talking about the Meritage. Has anyone else here tried one, and if so, did you just not like it. I've had two and I think they're amazing, probably my favorite RP, at least one of the top two or three blends.

Luko:
    Incidentally, since we're talking RP, I never see anyone else talking about the Meritage. Has anyone else here tried one, and if so, did you just not like it. I've had two and I think they're amazing, probably my favorite RP, at least one of the top two or three blends.

Meritage? Never seen one...

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    There was some talk about it around here somewhere, not long ago. Do a search on it.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Search complete...found an assload of mentions. All by Luko...I gotta herf with this cat, he has good taste.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Ha. Damn. I would've sworn I'd seen j0z3r weigh in on the Meritage, at some point.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Ha. Damn. I would've sworn I'd seen j0z3r weigh in on the Meritage, at some point.
    Joe must be in the " Million Smoked " Club by now with his three to five a day lifestyle.. And never a Meritage mention ? Impossible.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Sorry to disappoint, I don't even know what a meritage is. Is that a hyrbid word? like, something that start with "M" and heritage? Me no speaky Patelanese.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Another "Speaking of RP" but a B&M had a RP event here a few months back and they got a bunch of boxes of RP Maduro of Costa Rica. These seems to be part of Rocky's "travelling stock" that arent available anywhere else. The first one i smoked was awesome, the other one i let sit for 4 months and it was even better. Anyone else find these? I've included them in some of my bombs but if anyone is interested let me know, my shop still has a bunch left.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    It's funny that I was reading about the Winter Blend on here yesterday because I had a friend call me and he was at the B&M and found some. He picked us up a few so I will get to try this one out soon! I tried the Autumn blend and I have to say I was not impressed. It was mild and really didn't have a lot of flavor. I have a lot higher hopes for the Winter!
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    It's funny that I was reading about the Winter Blend on here yesterday because I had a friend call me and he was at the B&M and found some. He picked us up a few so I will get to try this one out soon! I tried the Autumn blend and I have to say I was not impressed. It was mild and really didn't have a lot of flavor. I have a lot higher hopes for the Winter!

I agree, i love rp, but the autumn blend sucked.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    JKTex:
    Sorry, '99 is the Vintage 1999 or Connecticut.  It's the mild baby of the Vintage line.

BTW, I smoked the Autumn earlier tonight.  I almost bought some more but I'm glad I didn't.  It's been in my humi for about 3 weeks and when I punched it, the cap and about 1/2 passed the cap cracked.  Ok, I can deal with that.  I removed the fist band and it pealed part of the wrapper, when I finally peeled the big band it pulled a piece of wrapper off.  Overall, after 2 weeks in 72-74* the wrapper was what I'd call brittle.  But I smolked fine, except it went out about 3/4 of the way in.

As for the smoke......it's supposed to be really mild.  It is, and boring, and not so enjoyable.  It's simple and kinda yuk.  As a novice, I'm not sure how else to descibe it.  The cool orange and silver band had me thinking it'd be vibrant, smooth, some complexity, but no.  No nasty after taste but it was just kind of ashy tasting.  Maybe that's a better word for it.

A '90 Vintage that was laying right next to it for less time was suple and an awexome smoke.

If I recall, and I'll need to go look again, someone else makes some of these for Rocky.  I hope that's what it is.  I won't be adding any more to my humi.

Guess I need some Nordi's to try now. Big Smile [:D]  For now, I may go out with a '90 or a '92 to restore my faith.  Wink [;)]
    yeah the '90 vintage is a fav of mine, very good smoke. I've only had the 6x60 and have no plans on trying any others, it's just right for me.
    Looks like C.COM has the Rockey Patel summer collection 08 on clearance at some really good prices. Go to the home page and click on sales and then clearance ,,,looks like a cool deal for you guys that like them ...