Home General Discussion

Cigar Choice

madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
Stupid effing Kentucky. I'm stuck in a hotel room in Kentucky with no tv and the only internet is my verizon card(not exactly high speed here in Paducah). There is so much ice outside the city rolled up the streets and turned off the town. However somewhat lucky is that this is a smoking hotel. Looks like I'll be stuck in this room for at least 18 hours maybe more, so needless to say, I'm bored.

Anyone who might wanna help entertain me can vote for the cigar I'm going to smoke. First cigar to get 3 votes, I smoke, well maybe two we'll see how many people actually vote. No prize, well bc I'm stucking in a **** hotel in Paducah, KY. I deserve a prize, not you. Anyways, here's the list of cigars I brought with me ...

Gurkha Turk
CAO Criollo
Carlos Torano Virtuoso
Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur
Drew Estate La Vieja Habana
Padilla Miami

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Oh and interestingly enough, I've never smoked any of these cigars before. I've had the Criollo but only in the little tins.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    well... i'm a newbee and have no real basis for comparison of the cigars you listed, but I feel for you... I'm going to vote for the Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur, simply because I have one marinating at home...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Drew Estate La Vieja Habana

just because its the underdog here. it may be the best mixed filler cigar (outside of the ccom house blends) i have ever had.

...i should go pick up a few more of those.
  • cheymancheyman Posts: 157
    Go for the Padilla Miami ... I got like five of these I'm resting and never had...can I vote more than once?
    Padilla Miami
    cheyman:
    Go for the Padilla Miami ... I got like five of these I'm resting and never had...can I vote more than once?
    LOL no just one vote for now.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I'm gonna vote for the Padilla Miami, too.

The really important thing, however, is that I totally called this. Except you've got electricity. I missed that part.
    There are about 3 blocks here in Paducah that still have power my hotel happens to be in those three blocks. All the restaraunts are closed or closing so the hotel was talking about feeding us dinner.
    Sounds like a state of emergency...you should find a local B&M and loot it!
    robbyras:
    well... i'm a newbee and have no real basis for comparison of the cigars you listed, but I feel for you... I'm going to vote for the Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur, simply because I have one marinating at home...
    Hey man, everyones vote counts! You just want a review before you smoke it eh? I tell you what, whether it wins or not I'll smoke it before the week is up. I'm not a big reviewer like kuzi but I'll give you a general take on the cigar.
    cheyman:
    HAHA a B&M in Paducah! According to RTDA.org the only place here is the Tobacco Barn, sign under that said DISCOUNT LIQUOR AND CIGARETTES. I haven't been in yet.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I have had the CAO Criollo but a long time ago. The only other one I have had is the Gurkha. I simply can not give my vote since I have not had the others. Sorry man. I guess if I had to choose though, I would choose the Hoyo. For no particular reason though.
    madurofan:
    robbyras:
    Hey man, everyones vote counts! You just want a review before you smoke it eh? I tell you what, whether it wins or not I'll smoke it before the week is up. I'm not a big reviewer like kuzi but I'll give you a general take on the cigar.
    Actually, I just placed an order for a few different samplers and it appears I ordered most of what you have so I am interested in you take no matter what... thanks for taking the time, which it sounds like you have a lot of...you'll have to let us know how the free food is... MAC & CHEESE is on the house!
    madurofan:
    cheyman:
    HAHA a B&M in Paducah! According to RTDA.org the only place here is the Tobacco Barn, sign under that said DISCOUNT LIQUOR AND CIGARETTES. I haven't been in yet.
    Tobacco Barn...Hell Ya...go get yourself a pack of Grape DutchMasters!!!
    rwheelwright:
    I have had the CAO Criollo but a long time ago. The only other one I have had is the Gurkha. I simply can not give my vote since I have not had the others. Sorry man. I guess if I had to choose though, I would choose the Hoyo. For no particular reason though.
    You telling me the Gurkha sucks?haha ...

No particular reason needed.

2 votes for the Miami and 2 votes for the Hoyo. Are we gonna break the tie or is somone gonna bring a the La Vieja Habana cigar up to the 2 vote point?
    robbyras:
    MAC & CHEESE is on the house!
    LOL thats about what I'm expecting.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:
    You telling me the Gurkha sucks?haha ...

No particular reason needed.

2 votes for the Miami and 2 votes for the Hoyo. Are we gonna break the tie or is somone gonna bring a the La Vieja Habana cigar up to the 2 vote point?
    I'm not saying the Gurkha sucked. I have only had one and it wasn't GREAT. It wasn't terrible either. Because I haven't had the rest I can not give a fair recommendation.
    madurofan:
    cheyman:
    So you can probably tell that I have a job that forces me to sit at a computer all day, yet allows me time to post when I please... I think you answered a question I was about to ask... is RTDA.org a site that tells you about places near you? Is there any kind of site or service that will tell you where to find a specific brand locally?
    robbyras:
    madurofan:
    cheyman:
    So you can probably tell that I have a job that forces me to sit at a computer all day, yet allows me time to post when I please... I think you answered a question I was about to ask... is RTDA.org a site that tells you about places near you? Is there any kind of site or service that will tell you where to find a specific brand locally?
    RTDA is an industry association for tobacconists but one of the options on that site is Find a Tobacconist.

There isn't any service I'm aware of that will help you find a particular brand locally. I do know a few of the manufacturers like Illusione and General Cigar tell you where there cigars can be purchased but its not real organized just kind of a listing.
    nice... there is one cigar I am looking for and I can't seem to find it anywhere
    What is it? I may be able to point you in the right direction.
    Ok if no one votes within the next 10 mins I'm going to be the tie breaking vote.
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    The Miami. Is it the original or the new one?
    Well there we go. I'm not sure Van, it was a bomb. How do I tell?
    Yippie!!!! Smoke away. (the suspense has been killing me!)
    madurofan:
    I sent you a pm
    Well taste wise it got an excellent start but the wrapper developed an inch long split right in the first turn. I'm hoping it doesn't burn funny.
    robbyras:
    madurofan:
    I sent you a pm
    Responded to your PM.
    So unfortunately the Miami has construction issues. Its obviously over stuffed, its split in two places and has a pretty tight draw. The flavor is decent dominated by what I can best describe as pencil shavings.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Bummer to hear that. I was going to vote for the Miami as well, but didn't see your thread until now.