Home General Discussion

Feel Better Smoke Recommendation?

madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
Anyone have a cigar that they tend to smoke to make them feel better when they are down or pissed off? I don't know, say like when you blow the head on your 3 year old truck, right after warranty runs out. Preferrably something on the lower end as said truck is going to suck up a lot of money.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    punch gran puro.
    a bit nutty, slightly earthy, cheap, and gooooood.
    sorry about the truck. ...was it a GM made truck?
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm sounds tasty. Neh ... Ford Ranger. Apparently the 3.0L V6 has major issues with the heads.
  • jbforejbfore Posts: 4
    Bacarrat does it for me.  These were one of the first cigars I've ever smoked and they remain a favorite.  Very inexpensive stick with a mild to medium flavored pull.
    Hey jb welcome aboard. Not a flavored or sweet person myself but I am quite familiar with the Bacarrat. A lot of people love that cigar. I like a medium - full body with a swift kick in the seat of your pants cigar. Have you smoked the Acids? I have a buddy of mine that started off on Bacarrats and now absolutely loves the Acid lines.
    I've heard good things about the Acids as well, but haven't tried it yet. I've been told that they favor the Ashton Classic, which is also a favorite of mine.  I'll add them to my "To- Try" list.  If you want a swift kick I recommend the Padron 1964, if you haven't already.  Its a little pricey, but worth every penny.
    Oh yes I most definetly have had the Padron 1964, actually have one in the humi still I think. Man you've got me all excited I think that might be the answer. JB I take it you smoke a wide variety of cigars? Anything from flavored to the Padron 1964 thats a nice array.
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    Yes the padro 64 is very good, sorry to hear about the head, maybe check some junk yards, some of the yards around here will let you pull your own for 100bucks, and get new bolts and a good torque wrench, don't reuse the old bolts....
    I started smoking a year ago and I can't break away from the samplers.  I love variety and though I have my fav five cigars, I'll  put together a new sample list at least one or two times a month just to compare tastes, brands, and etc.  I just put in an order w/ ccom that included a  Montecristo Whites, Graycliffe 1666, Partagas Black, and the Excalibur 1066 so yes I'll go from mild to full and vice versa depending on the drink or activity.
    Nice JB. I'm trying to open myself up to more cigars, I tend to get stuck on a particular brand or wrapper. Let me know how that Partagas black goes.
    Yea Mark we have one around here that does that. I think thats what I'm going to do.
    madurofan:
    Nice JB. I'm trying to open myself up to more cigars, I tend to get stuck on a particular brand or wrapper. Let me know how that Partagas black goes.
    If you like the 5 vegas series A then youll love the partagas black. simaler flavor profile but a lot more of it.
    I'm pretty sure I've had all the 5 Vegas' i bought a sampler a while back but the series A isn't standing out.
    crap hit send too early. What was the flavor profile on that one? I'm going to buy one of those books where you can tape the band in and write a review anyone else have one of those?
    madurofan:
    crap hit send too early. What was the flavor profile on that one? I'm going to buy one of those books where you can tape the band in and write a review anyone else have one of those?
    i have my own cigar catalog. i have about 60 reviews by me in there.

the flavor profile of the partagas and to a lesser extent 5 vegas series A goes as follows:
    starts with a sweet coffee and a hint of nut on the finish. a cedar note soon develops and is mostly on the finish. its a "sharp" cedar that gives a bit of a "bite" but not really a bite. its a long lasting aftertaste.

i gave it a 8.7 of 10. ...though i think it shoulda been higher. that cigar had some burn issues.
    I like the hint of nut and the "sharp" cedar. Medium body? I'm going at lunch and buying one.
    the partagas black classico (robusto 5.2 x 55 ) i think is the best size.
    Hitting the tobacconist on the way home for that.
  • madurofan:

I got a decent binder (went for a nice leather one) and made my own layout following the CA style of ratings (flavor, burn, etc... etc...). Except I sum mine up in X/5 for simplicity.

Good luck with the truck!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Maduro, FORD... Fix Or Repair Daily. I have Two Explorers and use to have Thunderbirds. I still like the damn things and have not had too much trouble with any of them ( knock on wood ). ( Beetles) haha. Any cigar works for a pick me up, relax, get the truck fixed and try and forget about it. Because after all .. will it matter much next year ? Are you going to have the truck repaired by Ford or on your own? I had a major repair on one of the explorers,Transmission, right after warranty ran out and called Ford. Found the number online, filed a customer complaint, and they paid half the dealership repair cost. It still cost 1800 bucks but the original estimate was like 3800.
  • ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    madurofan:
    I'm going to buy one of those books where you can tape the band in and write a review anyone else have one of those?
    As a matter of fact I'm starting my third 2" binder.

As far as my feel better smoke, right now it would probably be between two (depending on how I feel).....64th anni PAM or the 10th anni Camacho Corojo.
    Kasp, Found On Road Dead - Driver Returns On Foot. You have 2 exploders and no troubles? You better care a piece of wood around with and knock on it constantly. This is the first and last Ford I'll ever own, for a few reasons. Always had imports and as soon as I fix this, which I'll do myself with a head from the junkyard, I'm trading it in. I went looking at a couple new cars today, let me tell you something boys now seems to be the time to buy a car they were practically trying to give me the cars I test drove. Ash, I think I might just do like you guys and make my own binder.
    did you ever get that partagas black?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    madurofan, I went all fancy style and bought one of those cigar dossiers you were referring to. I think it is a classy looking way to keep a record, though I would like the comment portion to be a bit larger.
    Kuzi, I did not. The B&M didn't have one and I've been drinking a lot of beer the past few days so I stuck with Ccom blends and 5 Vegas' as it doesn't hurt my feeling to have one of those with a beer. The B&M manager is going to shoot me an email when they get some of the Patagas blacks in.
    Joe, I was going to get one of those but after hearing a couple other people and now you saying the sections were too small I might just make my own.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Yeah, not a bad idea. Definitely cheaper to make your own, I probably should have gone that route myself. Lesson learned.
    Eh there have definetly been more expensive mistakes than that dossier.
    my cigar "catalog" is in four places.
    1) in a 79 cent notebook.
    2) on my computer
    3) on the eotac forum
    4) backed up on a disk.