Home Non Cigar Related

tablet.. help me decide

JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
hello, im saving for a tablet. which one should i save for? it will be over the next month or 2. want to keep it under $400 but $500 at the most. but from reading and research i do like the galaxy tab 10.1 and the transformer. Any of you guys or girls own either of these or maybe both and have an opinion on them? i do already own a hp mini. thats like 3 or so years old but always wanted a tablet and in love with android. but i plan to get rid of laptop when i get a tablet. Justin

Comments

• denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I'm waiting for the Sony tablet. I am not a Sony fan by any means but I love my Sony smartphone so I'm hoping there is some piggybacking options with the Sony Tablet. It will be android 3.0
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    I didnt even know sony was making a tablet.. im out of the loop.. Do you know what they will be priced at? cant seem to find that in my search
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I don't know much about tablets, but I do know that Google is coming out with Android version Ice Cream Sandwich by the end of this year, which will harmonize apps between phones and tablets. From what I understand, app makers won't have to design two apps - one for android tablets, and another for android smartphones - anymore; with ICS, they can design one app that'll run on all devices
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    sony tablets not sure on pricing
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    The iPad, cloud storage, and go2mypc is all I use while traveling.
  • i would say ipad if you like mac
    not a mac person.. but the ipad isnt bad.. but definitely looking for an android tablet.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    The tablet can do a lot of things, but is definitely NOT a laptop replacement, unless you just do things like play cards and stuff. It's impossible to do any serious typing on one unless you add a keyboard.

I currently run a Viewsonic GTab (basically same hardware as the Xoom) with custom software and it is great for the tasks I use it for. WiFi only, I don't need cellular for what I do. They have been available on Woot a few times lately for as little as 240.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I would recommend iPad 2. I'm actually typing this out on mine right now. You cant beat the number of apps the iPad has. If someone is going to make an app, they're gonna make it for the iPad first. Also, with future products coming out (iOS 5.0 and icloud) the iPad will still be the #1 tablet.

"Long ashes my friends."

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Krieg:
    I would recommend iPad 2. I'm actually typing this out on mine right now. You cant beat the number of apps the iPad has. If someone is going to make an app, they're gonna make it for the iPad first. Also, with future products coming out (iOS 5.0 and icloud) the iPad will still be the #1 tablet.
    +1 Just got one of these for work and I have to say it's way better than most of the android tablets on the market in terms of versatility and stability.

• get the ipad2 and don't think twice about it...until ipad 3 comes out.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    stephen_hannibal:
    Krieg:
    +1 Just got one of these for work and I have to say it's way better than most of the android tablets on the market in terms of versatility and stability.

I have an ipad 1 and I love the thing. I agree with all said above. The ipad imo is the best hands down tablet on the market.
  • asus transformer. Honeycomb Operating system, 32gb, and Android 3.2 ready to rock. Plus, with the keyboard docking station, you really lose nothign versus a laptop. And the entire package can be bought for $549 for everything. $450 for the tablet without the docking station.
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    i have the Acer tab and i'm pretty happy with it.
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    I got a Xoom 6 months ago and haven't had my laptop out since.
    As much as I would love a personal iPad I think I'm going to get a Kindle Fire.

• MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:

My daughters should be here any day now. Now I need to get the wireless set up. For the money I think it was the best bet for her.
    If you can wait until December, there's a quad-core tablet coming out called the Asus Transformer Prime (successor to Asus Transformer) - it'll run Android Ice Cream Sandwich; the specs looks to be a beast, for around $500
    xmacro:
    If you can wait until December, there's a quad-core tablet coming out called the Asus Transformer Prime - it'll run Android Ice Cream Sandwich; thing looks to be a beast for around $500
    The whole point is to not spend $500 on a tablet... seriously I'm not using it for anything but a glorified e-reader.

• bdmauk24bdmauk24 Posts: 74
    Typing this on my SAmsung Galaxy tab 10.1 right now. Love this thing. Never an issue, had it about four months now. Cant go wrong with this one if u want Android.
    stephen_hannibal:
    xmacro:
    If you can wait until December, there's a quad-core tablet coming out called the Asus Transformer Prime - it'll run Android Ice Cream Sandwich; thing looks to be a beast for around $500
    The whole point is to not spend $500 on a tablet... seriously I'm not using it for anything but a glorified e-reader.

If it's an ereader you're after, why even bother with any but e-ink? It's the only way to read, besides paper, that doesn't hurt the eyes
    xmacro:
    stephen_hannibal:
    xmacro:

If it's an ereader you're after, why even bother with any but e-ink? It's the only way to read, besides paper, that doesn't hurt the eyes
    Glorified e-reader... get it right.

• CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    I'm not lookin for a computer tab, but the Kindle Fire is comin to Cville soon...I'm more into the media side I guess....but this is a nice affordable gig....
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Check out the DELL DUO if your scared to leave a Laptop, its an Awesome two in one with a rotating Screen and a Full keeyboard and tons of storage....... They are pretty interesting, My wife being an educator has been looking at Tabs for a while, but the reality is none of them really get it as far I am an concerned YET.. I am waiting on aa Solid Android Tab myself, Having a Friend who has been in the Computer and Software Biz, first with IBM... then Apple, since the early 70's he has 5 different tabs hes testing... 4 androids, one Ipad.......... He has told me Hands down... DONT GO IPAD.... the ANdroid System is where its headed... IPads are to Limited. I listen to the Experts when investing that kind of cash. I am interested in this SOny thing......... My brother just bought a New Sony Desk top all in one..... it is by far the best desk top Ive seen or used. PRICY! LOL
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    MESKC:
    stephen_hannibal:

My daughters should be here any day now. Now I need to get the wireless set up. For the money I think it was the best bet for her.
    I'm kind of in the same boat... The Kindle Fire may be an after Xmas gift to me from me...
  • djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    Krieg:
    +1, Ipad2. I just got certified in Ipad deployment and I used to hate Mac's. HAHA! Krieg can tell you. I love my ipad2 and it has every app I need right now.
  • TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    If your not going IPad I would say Samsung Galaxy tab is the way to go it is a very solid machine. However if you can get your hands on one still the HP that they stopped making is also a very solid machine that we are really close to having honeycomb running smoothly on. But just out of the box goodness i would stick with Galaxy Tab. I like others on here plan to get and try the new Amazon Fire as its very niced price and from reviews looks to be a pretty nice little device.
  • chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    djbeenie:
    Krieg:
    +1, Ipad2. I just got certified in Ipad deployment and I used to hate Mac's. HAHA! Krieg can tell you. I love my ipad2 and it has every app I need right now.
    Although I love my iPad 2 I think I will have to jailbreak it, I can't stand not being able to view flash. I don't think there is a hack for iOS 5 yet though.
  • chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    Teege:
    If your not going IPad I would say Samsung Galaxy tab is the way to go it is a very solid machine. However if you can get your hands on one still the HP that they stopped making is also a very solid machine that we are really close to having honeycomb running smoothly on. But just out of the box goodness i would stick with Galaxy Tab. I like others on here plan to get and try the new Amazon Fire as its very niced price and from reviews looks to be a pretty nice little device.
    It has major pitfalls though. If I get one (fire) I would wait for a larger screen don't know if I could stand a 7 inch screen.
    Forgot i even made this thread. I didn't get one yet but i plan on getting the Asus Transformer. Yeah i know the prime is coming out but the transformer will do what i need it to do and trying not to spend $500 on a tablet.