Home General Discussion

need some ideas

so I'm looking at making my own humidor. as opposed to starting from scratch, what i really want to do is repurpose a nightstand or small cabinet. something like that. i plan on making it airtight and lining it with cedar. maybe adding a shelf or 2. I want a humidor that looks good and is one of a kind. i have thought about using a cooler but i love the look of hard wood and i would like the project to take a little more time that a cooler would require. what i want to know is do you buys have any ideas as to what i could use.... maybe any tips... what have you buys seen done in the past?

Comments

• TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    I think the ones made from chests are pretty cool.
  • greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    You have to be careful, not all cedar is the same. You must only use spanish cedar. Regular cedar gives off too much odor and will ruin the taste of the cigar. Spanish cedar is not really cedar. It is in the Mahogany family. One of the more important things to accomplish is the seal. It doesn't have to be super air tight, but tight enough to hold a constant humidity. Personally, I would try to stay away from a cedar chest. Unless it is lined with spanish cedar. Good Luck.
  • slickricslickric Posts: 705
    i meant to say spanish cedar. i was actually thinking about using something like a night stand, one drawer on top and cabinet on bottom. ill cut a square out on top and inset glass on it. seal it with odorless silicone. put in a nice spanish cedar shelf or a couple shallow spanish cedar drawers.
  • I've been thinking more and more about doing something like this - excited to see how this turns out.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    The seal is important, but you don't want it to be 100% airtight actually, as that will often cause humidity spikes.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Bucketidor..............duh

:-)
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like this idea and have built a ton of them mentally kicking around lots of different ideas. Some of my favs that could be way cool are these; A) Antique Roll-Top desk the ones that look like a round chest on the front and the wood rolls up to reveal the desk and inside you could build a chest and drawer humi into it and have like a six bottle capacity wine-a-dor in each cabinet on either side. B) An old oak cask from wine or whiskey that you slice in half, hinge and then line with Spanish cedar and shelves. C) My personal fav and the one I WILL be building myself when my wife and I get our first home and build the smoking lounge inside is, buy an old semi-abused "executive" desk and build in the drawers on either side of the leg cutout a humi and possibly a humi built flush into the top of the desk one or two small 20ct humi that would be nearly seamless and hidden. Then on the front where people would see when they looked at the front of the desk do relief cutouts and put glass in front where you could display at a raked angle your rare or fav smokes like a display. I think that would be the "ultimate" man cave desk. :) just my little ideas so to speak.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    I really like this idea and have built a ton of them mentally kicking around lots of different ideas. Some of my favs that could be way cool are these; A) Antique Roll-Top desk the ones that look like a round chest on the front and the wood rolls up to reveal the desk and inside you could build a chest and drawer humi into it and have like a six bottle capacity wine-a-dor in each cabinet on either side. B) An old oak cask from wine or whiskey that you slice in half, hinge and then line with Spanish cedar and shelves. C) My personal fav and the one I WILL be building myself when my wife and I get our first home and build the smoking lounge inside is, buy an old semi-abused "executive" desk and build in the drawers on either side of the leg cutout a humi and possibly a humi built flush into the top of the desk one or two small 20ct humi that would be nearly seamless and hidden. Then on the front where people would see when they looked at the front of the desk do relief cutouts and put glass in front where you could display at a raked angle your rare or fav smokes like a display. I think that would be the "ultimate" man cave desk. :) just my little ideas so to speak.
    I might borrow from your ideas. With your permission. A oak barrel placed horizontal and split to form A huge storage space. Lined with Spanish cedar of course. With custom shelves in the bottom half and self folding shelves in the top that open as the top is lifted. The ultimate barrel humidor. I wonder how many beads would be necessary to keep this monster properly humidified? I think I may make some rough sketches later today and post one. A worthy challenge.
    RBeckom:
    90+ Irishman:
    I might borrow from your ideas. With your permission. A oak barrel placed horizontal and split to form A huge storage space. Lined with Spanish cedar of course. With custom shelves in the bottom half and self folding shelves in the top that open as the top is lifted. The ultimate barrel humidor. I wonder how many beads would be necessary to keep this monster properly humidified? I think I may make some rough sketches later today and post one. A worthy challenge.
    I threw the ideas out there to share so yeah of course go for it!! I'd love to see the sketches and a finished product!!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    i love the idea of a barrel humi. maybe like an oak whiskey barrel (not used though) and lined with spanish cedar. i'v been mulling aroung the idea of a horizontal barrell / bucket but the oak barrell would be perfect. hmm... i wonder if it has been done?................ time to google it
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Here's a link to an article with free plans from Fine Woodworking: http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/7670/free-plan-humidor
    I wonder if a used bourbon barrel would be a good choice.

Maybe you could infuse your cigars with a little fine KY whiskey?
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Here is my idea, http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/372930.aspx I will be posting pics later on as the project starts and finishes
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Once while following the wife around an antique store, I spied with my little eye an old card catalog from a library (if you're old enough to remember what they were - thats what the computer terminals you search for books with replaced LOL). The drawers were big enough that you could probably have fit a box of smokes in each, and there were DOZENS AND DOZENS of drawers!!!

If I had any woodworking skillaz AT ALL I would have jumped all over it and converted it to a humidor. Avenge me my brother, AVENGE ME!!!

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    The Sniper:
    Once while following the wife around an antique store, I spied with my little eye an old card catalog from a library (if you're old enough to remember what they were - thats what the computer terminals you search for books with replaced LOL). The drawers were big enough that you could probably have fit a box of smokes in each, and there were DOZENS AND DOZENS of drawers!!!

If I had any woodworking skillaz AT ALL I would have jumped all over it and converted it to a humidor. Avenge me my brother, AVENGE ME!!!

LIKE THIS

JDH:

That's what I'm thinking. My first drafts are done. I'll post some sketches as soon as they become finished.
    slickric:
    i love the idea of a barrel humi. maybe like an oak whiskey barrel (not used though) and lined with spanish cedar. i'v been mulling aroung the idea of a horizontal barrell / bucket but the oak barrell would be perfect. hmm... i wonder if it has been done?................ time to google it
    Done is simply A pattern. A good idea is sometimes where you find it.
    RBeckom:
    JDH:

That's what I'm thinking. My first drafts are done. I'll post some sketches as soon as they become finished.
    I live right smack dab in the center of Kentucky Bourbon country...8 of the largest distilleries are within 25 miles of my house. I may be able to find a used barrel (they are only used once, & then sold off).
    JDH:
    RBeckom:
    JDH:

I live right smack dab in the center of Kentucky Bourbon country...8 of the largest distilleries are within 25 miles of my house. I may be able to find a used barrel (they are only used once, & then sold off).
    If you find A spare one let me know.
    RBeckom:
    JDH:
    RBeckom:
    JDH:

What's your timeline for this box? We might be poking around some of the distilleries next month (they do some nice tastings around the holidays) and I could make some inquires.
    JDH:

i'm sure an unused bourban barrell would be fine... i would just be worried that a used one would taint the taste of the cigars
    JDH:
    RBeckom:
    JDH:
    RBeckom:
    JDH:

What's your timeline for this box? We might be poking around some of the distilleries next month (they do some nice tastings around the holidays) and I could make some inquires.
    All I can call my own is time. The government has taken the rest. So i'm in no great hurry.
    For the desk humidor idea that I talked about this is a pretty good representation, but mine would be a little more understated and elegant, but I do like this picture and the idea is really represented well! image
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Some very cool and creative ideas in here guys. I was thinking the other day how a curio cabinet would make a nice humidor and showcase. My one Grandmother had one when I was growing up that was a corner unit. Not really sure where it ended up but something like that would be a nice project to work on.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

90+ Irishman:
    For the desk humidor idea that I talked about this is a pretty good representation, but mine would be a little more understated and elegant, but I do like this picture and the idea is really represented well! image
    Jaysus Christ! Is that great or what!
    RBeckom:
    JDH:
    RBeckom:
    JDH:
    RBeckom:
    JDH:

All I can call my own is time. The government has taken the rest. So i'm in no great hurry.
    OK, I'll make a few inquires and find out about pricing, dimensions and weight sometime this month.